Jump to content

Combining or Splitting Amp/Cab Blocks


kc99x
 Share

Recommended Posts

Before I submit this to Ideascale, I want to check to be sure I'm not missing an existing function.

Sometimes I want to take an Amp block and combine it with a Cap block, e.g. if I'm at the 8 block limit on the stomp.

Sometimes I want to split an Amp/Cab block into separate blocks, e.g. to add blocks between the Amp and Cab or to have the option to turn the Cab off when using an amp.

 

For now, on my Helix Floor, I copy the block(s) to the 2nd path and replace the blocks on the 1st and go back and forth copying a few settings at a time. On the stomp, there usually isn't enough DSP to add the new blocks while the old ones are there, so I have to save a new preset and go back and forth between presets to copy settings (and always remember to save the partially updated preset).

 

Am I missing an easier way to do this that would negate the need to request a new function on ideascale? Also, if there already is something in ideascale, please let me know. Their search function is weak.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

What exactly is the feature/function that you would suggest on Ideascale? From your description the issue seems to be that the HX Stomp lacks the dual path option, and the associated DSP, that the Helix Floor has. The available DSP is a hard limit. What would you suggest that doesn’t involve more DSP?

 

Bear in mind that the DSP required for any block is allocated at the time the block is added to the preset, and is not dynamically adjusted based on whether the block is on or off. Any suggestion that DSP be added, or that DSP  be managed differently, is probably a non-starter.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/11/2022 at 7:15 AM, silverhead said:

What exactly is the feature/function that you would suggest on Ideascale? From your description the issue seems to be that the HX Stomp lacks the dual path option, and the associated DSP, that the Helix Floor has. The available DSP is a hard limit. What would you suggest that doesn’t involve more DSP?

...

I would like an option on the amp edit screen to combine or split the cab from the amp. Or if I first copy the preset and switch the amp/cab combo to separate blocks, I would like to "Action, Copy Block" on the original preset. Move to the new preset and have a new "Paste Special" option to copy the settings into the new amp, not the whole block. The DSP usage only comes up because of the multiple step process I now use. Basically, I hate having to write down all the settings to put in the new preset by hand, or remembering 3 or so settings, copy them and repeat until done.

When downloading other peoples presets, it seems that they combine the amp and cab, and I want to edit it to separate the blocks or vise versa. I assume I'm not alone with this issue, though I maybe the only one annoyed by it.

I'd be fine if the option were only in hx edit.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/13/2022 at 10:28 PM, dgtr890 said:

Choose Amp+Cab. Only uses 1 block or.

Choose Amp > Cab separately.

You can still use foot switches or snapshots to alter settings.

If you have a preset with Amp+Cab and want to switch it to Amp>Cab separately, is there trick to do that?

Also, If you have a Amp+Cab block, the one thing you can't do with a footswitch, as far as I can tell, is turn the cab off.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There are no "tricks" to do what you are asking. You can't bypass a cab within an Amp+Cab block, and you can't switch between Amp+Cab to the same Amp, without cab, on the fly.

 

You can ask this on ideascale, but honestly I wouldn't hold my breath on this to be implemented. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think what he is asking, and I agree with him on an easier way to do this.  

 

If I have a preset that uses the Amp+Cab block, and dial it in.  Then I want to explore some IRs to use, or Im going through a power cab and no longer need the attached cab portion of the Amp+cab block....

 

Is there an easier way to go from Amp+Cab> Amp Only  other than adding a duplicate Amp block and clicking back and forth to make sure settings of the Amp portion match, then deleting the Amp+Cab block.  

 

Sometimes in my presets when I'm exploring ideas like that, I don't have the DSP available to add another cab block.  Which for me, then means, storing blocks as favorites (even if they arent), deleting those blocks from the preset, adding the amp block, comparatively adjust to match, then delete the A+C block, readd the other blocks I marked as favorites.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/14/2022 at 2:26 PM, themetallikid said:

Is there an easier way to go from Amp+Cab> Amp Only  other than adding a duplicate Amp block and clicking back and forth to make sure settings of the Amp portion match, then deleting the Amp+Cab block.  


Hi,

 

I don’t think there is in the scenario that you describe. I think it would be easier to duplicate the preset with the Amp+Cab, and then proceed to edit by deleting the Amp+Cab block and replacing it with an Amp along with an IR block. You can then cross reference the two options to see which is the better.

 

Note: I always keep a notepad and pen close to hand for jotting down relevant parameter settings. It can save a lot of grief, as bouncing from one preset to another is annoying if you forget to save at any stage.

 

I understand what you mean when you say “exploring ideas”, but a little planning never goes amiss. It helps to have a result in mind rather than blindly thrashing around. I have stacks of “sketch pad ideas” stored in my Helix. The trick then is to assemble the various bits and get them to work together.

 

Hope this helps/makes sense.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/14/2022 at 10:03 AM, datacommando said:


Hi,

 

I don’t think there is in the scenario that you describe. I think it would be easier to duplicate the preset with the Amp+Cab, and then proceed to edit by deleting the Amp+Cab block and replacing it with an Amp along with an IR block. You can then cross reference the two options to see which is the better.

 

Note: I always keep a notepad and pen close to hand for jotting down relevant parameter settings. It can save a lot of grief, as bouncing from one preset to another is annoying if you forget to save at any stage.

 

I understand what you mean when you say “exploring ideas”, but a little planning never goes amiss. It helps to have a result in mind rather than blindly thrashing around. I have stacks of “sketch pad ideas” stored in my Helix. The trick then is to assemble the various bits and get them to work together.

 

Hope this helps/makes sense.

Yes I agree, and typically I dont 'explore' much as I design a per preset/song thing.  I wonder if they could incorporate a right-click menu option that read convert to A/C or Amp only/Cab only, or split Amp/Cab option.  

 

I get your point, but would be nice if there was a more efficient way to duplicate those blocks when splitting.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/11/2022 at 3:01 PM, kc99x said:

I would like an option on the amp edit screen to combine or split the cab from the amp. Or if I first copy the preset and switch the amp/cab combo to separate blocks, I would like to "Action, Copy Block" on the original preset. Move to the new preset and have a new "Paste Special" option to copy the settings into the new amp, not the whole block. The DSP usage only comes up because of the multiple step process I now use. Basically, I hate having to write down all the settings to put in the new preset by hand, or remembering 3 or so settings, copy them and repeat until done.

When downloading other peoples presets, it seems that they combine the amp and cab, and I want to edit it to separate the blocks or vise versa. I assume I'm not alone with this issue, though I maybe the only one annoyed by it.

I'd be fine if the option were only in hx edit.

 

A similar request has been batted around on the forum in the past so you may want to check for it on Ideascale. I can see why you might want this. I think many users start by selecting separate amp & cab/IR blocks from jump, just to avoid this issue and retain flexibility in their preset design. The only good reason to use a combined amp/cab block is if you absolutely require the block that would be used by a separate cab/IR, or perhaps if you need an extra sliver of memory. 

 

A combined block may use less DSP than two separate blocks (not sure?). If that is the case, and you were already maxed out on DSP, or if you are already using the max number of blocks in a path, the splitting function you propose would require logic to grey it out.

 

One thing you can do if you are stuck with one of these combo amp/cab blocks in a preset, is assign the 'Mic' parameter to snapshots. Changing the mic type results in some fairly dramatic changes in the sound of the cab. For that matter you can assign all of the cab's parameters to snapshots. This at least gains you substantial flexibility in that cab's tone between snapshots.

 

Btw, I think a feature that allowed you to combine two separate amp and cab (or even IR) blocks of your own choosing into a single customized amp/cab block to save as a 'Favorite' might be a nifty option. Particularly for HX devices with fewer allowable blocks, such as the HX Stomp. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...