Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HELIX FLOOR AND GIBSON LES PAUL CUSTOM PICKUPS 490T AND 490R

GiancarloM74

Hello members,

the Helix has returned from assistance, unfortunately no intervention has been performed (only a firmware recovery) as the technicians have not encountered any problems. But I wanted to point out that other users also have the same type of problem as me.

The sound is noisy on Clean tones, You can hear the problem in the attached file recorded via USB ().
It would appear that the converters clip when I use the Gibson Les Paul Custom with the 490r / 490t pickups. I also tried an HX Stomp and the result is the same.
I tried to activate the Guitar Pad but without satisfactory results.
Do you have any tips for improving the relationship between Helix and Les Paul Custom pickups?
Thanks
Giancarlo

That isn't what I think of when someone uses the word 'noise/noisy'. I was thinking hum, ground loop, kind of stuff. 

**My GLPs are the quietest guitars I have, in terms of hum. 

========================================

While I am not a Helix user, I can clearly hear what you are talking about. And that, I hate to say, is more of a you problem than anything else. 

Patch design. Volume knobs. Global settings (assuming HX has the same setup as HD). 
Cleans are clean on L6, but it is easier to make them dirty by accident than clean on purpose. 

That's audio clipping due to the input to your DAW being too hot. Try lowering the output of the helix a bit and see if it cleans up. Nothing to do with the guitar pickups (I have a Gibson LP Studio that has 498t/490r pickups that are very similar to yours) or the helix. It's one of the many things to be mindful of when moving from analog recording into the digital world, when analog saturates from high gain, digital clips and sounds like someone crumbling up a bag of chips.

On 4/11/2022 at 11:23 PM, eric-hoffman said:

That's audio clipping due to the input to your DAW being too hot. Try lowering the output of the helix a bit and see if it cleans up. Nothing to do with the guitar pickups (I have a Gibson LP Studio that has 498t/490r pickups that are very similar to yours) or the helix. It's one of the many things to be mindful of when moving from analog recording into the digital world, when analog saturates from high gain, digital clips and sounds like someone crumbling up a bag of chips.

On 4/11/2022 at 6:55 PM, silverhead said:

Does the noise go away when you disconnect the USB?

No, the "noise/clip" is always present in all the ways of using Helix (PA via XLR, 1/4 or Phones, USB...)

If it's happening only with that guitar try lowering the pickups to get more clearance between pup poles and strings.

I do have the same guitar (actually I have 3 with the same pups), and never had an issue like that.

On 4/12/2022 at 2:57 AM, GiancarloM74 said:

No, the "noise/clip" is always present in all the ways of using Helix (PA via XLR, 1/4 or Phones, USB...)

All that means is you're likely sending a signal that's too hot within your preset.  The quickest way to check this is to select the output block on your preset and watch the signal meter at the lower right corner of your Helix screen while you play.  Normally this would be in the 60 to 65% range.  If it's significantly higher you need to examine each of the blocks in you preset to see where that's coming from by simply deselecting each block individually and seeing what effect it has on the output level.

• Upvote 1