Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Hx Stomp I must be crazy!

mortalguitar

I've spend a few hours and cannot get this damn thing to connect to my mac, for nothing! I connect it to my work windows computer and it says usb is damaged, so I'm not sure if it's a driver thing (I can't download hx edit or anything as it's locked by administrator from work), or (as I'm starting to suspect) there's actually a usb issue with this stomp (it's used from Long & McQuade). But my mac doesn't recognize it at all, nothing, zip. When I check usb devices on my mac, it's not there, yet other things are like scarlet interface, or external hard drive show up using the same usb cable. I've tried three different usb cables (including the one that comes with the stomp).

The stomp has 3.11 firmware on it. I've uninstalled hx edit and reinstalled both 3.15 and 3.11 (just to try an older version) versions and nothing. Always says no device connected in hx edit. 

I've tried holding page> + power on to force an update through Line6 updater in offline (tried online as well) and nothing. 

This is my second stomp (first one is with yamaha for repair), and I don't recall any issues with that one (older stomp). I'm pretty sure I didn't even use HX edit when I first got it and used it as an audio interface (could be wrong though). I'm perplexed and have no idea what to do at this point, except take it back and try another unit. 

I have a show Apr 20 and feel like I'm running out of time on this thing.

I have a macbook pro Catalina 10.15.7 and it wants to upgrade OS, but I don't have enough harddrive space, so haven't done it yet. Maybe this is the issue??

I know many have similar issues, but I can't seem to solve this one and hoping someone knows some trick or simple step I'm missing that can help out. 

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Your old one worked fine.

Your new one is used.

Probably the most common failure point on these is the USB port.

Return it and buy a NEW one.

Or, if you MUST buy used, do you have a laptop? Bring it and test the connection before buying.

• Upvote 1

On 4/15/2022 at 5:26 PM, mortalguitar said:

I have a macbook pro Catalina 10.15.7 and it wants to upgrade OS, but I don't have enough harddrive space, so haven't done it yet. Maybe this is the issue??

Definitely not.

I'm using the Stomp with two MacBooks running El Capitan, one is the last pre-Unibody 2008 model, the other is the last pre-retina 2012 model. The latter does also boot Catalina.

The major issue when connecting the Stomp is the USB cable. The Stomp – or the driver, respectively – is very picky about the cable quality. Out of about a dozen of long enough (as in: at least 1 m) cables that I have, only one works reliably. Some will drop the connection after some time, others won't connect at all. Shorter cables usually have less issues.

Another issue can be the Helix Driver if you want to use other sample rates beside the Helix default 48 kHz.

On El Capitan, I'm getting reliable results with v1.0.7; the newer drivers would also result in dropped connection.

On Catalina however, the latest Intel compatible driver should work fine.

• Upvote 1

I do use a USB fixed cable than runs underneath my pedalboard, which has an angled USB B plug to prevent kicking damages. The other side of the cable (USB A) does pop from the other side of the board, ready to be used when needed (when not in use it's just velcroed on the side). Means you plug it once and forget. 

35542126-22-DB-4995-A527-D712-B37621-DA.

97-B52-DBF-464-C-4178-9646-9-C63-F40-A14

• Upvote 2