Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Stereo Powercab worth it?

Tonymf

Is stereo worth it?

Edit: home use.

Especially to the people with 1xPC212 or 2xPC112: What do you think?

Of course, usually when you buy something you are very happy with it, but how happy are you with the stereo setup compared to the mono setup?

I have a PC112+ and I am thinking of getting a second PC112+ but I am not sure if this is „significant“ improvement or just a „nice to have“ or even „not really noticeable“?

And which setup in terms of Amps/ cabinets do you use in the stereo setup? same amp/ cabinet or different amp/ cabinet? what do you prefer?

Repeating my answer from TGP:

Stereo is nice at home if you like ambient sounds.
Live not so much.
2 Cabs = wide stereo. Audience on the left hears the left side, audience on the right hears the right side. Useful?
Live, 2 cabs one on each side in mono is better. Band members on both sides hear you, less stage volume required.
PC212 = nice but doesn't add much to the band mix.
Bottom line (IMO) - are you playing for your own enjoyment? Stereo is nice. PC212 works good at home.
For an audience? Having the same signal on both sides of the stage is better.
As always, YMMV.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Resurfacing this a little bit, and maybe RDRK is the expert here.  I am 99% home recording, not a performer.  I use the Helix LT and PowerCab 112+ for writing songs (and just playing the guitar), but certainly for getting my tones right before I record.  I gave up on the PowerCab speaker modelling, mostly because while I can get it to sound good, with the ultimate target a recording, the Helix cab modelling is superior.  So I'm using the PC without speaker modelling.

With the new Helix 3.5 cab micing capabilities, I think I'm more likely want to work in stereo (though most likely as different microphones on the same cabinet model).

Now granted, I can run this through my studio monitors in stereo (and get separation there).  

So my question -- which likely ends up as YMMV -- any direct experience or thoughts around the utility of the PowerCab 212 for this case?  Worth the upgrade from the 112+?

I know nobody can answer this for me, but I'm wondering about whether I will get utility out of this, or if I'm just suffering from gear-aqcuisition syndrome.

• Like 1

On 11/9/2022 at 12:38 PM, rwandering said:

any direct experience or thoughts around the utility of the PowerCab 212 for this case?  Worth the upgrade from the 112+?

As you might expect, playing through a 212 cab is very different than playing through studio monitors or even a 112.

I like my PC212+ with the caveats of not-so-great cab emulations and unreliable L6 Link (MIDI is the cure).

Jamming with ambient tones is so much fun with the stereo spread at 200%!

If you're using your Powercab to dial in tones for recording it's not likely that you're getting accurate results. You're better off using the Helix directly into the DAW with the new 3.50 dual cabs (stock cabs or IRs). What you hear in headphones or thru your monitors will be the recorded stereo sound of your Helix, whereas creating your tones while listening through a Powercab (112 or 212) your carefully curated tones will sound very different when recorded, and nobody is going to be listening to your recordings through a Powercab! Well, except maybe you. I tried it, sounded like a$$.

Bottom line - for jamming in the room, PC212+ is more fun than PC112+.

For recording, go direct from Helix>DAW.

On 11/9/2022 at 12:38 PM, rwandering said:

Resurfacing this a little bit, and maybe RDRK is the expert here.  I am 99% home recording, not a performer.  I use the Helix LT and PowerCab 112+ for writing songs (and just playing the guitar), but certainly for getting my tones right before I record.  I gave up on the PowerCab speaker modelling, mostly because while I can get it to sound good, with the ultimate target a recording, the Helix cab modelling is superior.  So I'm using the PC without speaker modelling.

With the new Helix 3.5 cab micing capabilities, I think I'm more likely want to work in stereo (though most likely as different microphones on the same cabinet model).

Now granted, I can run this through my studio monitors in stereo (and get separation there).  

So my question -- which likely ends up as YMMV -- any direct experience or thoughts around the utility of the PowerCab 212 for this case?  Worth the upgrade from the 112+?

I know nobody can answer this for me, but I'm wondering about whether I will get utility out of this, or if I'm just suffering from gear-aqcuisition syndrome.

I love my PC212+. I don't really think of it in terms of recording though - when I want to do that it's Helix into PC. I love my Powercab for jamming out with friends or performing in both acoustic, electric, and vocal setups, or for practicing and just immersing myself in sonic coolness at home. It's a ludicrously versatile rig in my opinion. 

Worth you investing though? You're already halfway there IN A SENSE. If I was you I would probably buy another 112+ if I REALLY wanted stereo rather than the 212 because at the end of the day two 112's are more useful for stereo than one 212, especially once you've already got a 112. 

For real stereo, if you have room for proper separation, two +112 are better of course...but also means more trouble if you gig a lot as it's more stuff to move, more stuff to wire etc...

StatingTheObviousMODE OFF/

Thanks, guys, for the responses.

On 11/9/2022 at 3:48 PM, Kilrahi said:

Worth you investing though? You're already halfway there IN A SENSE. If I was you I would probably buy another 112+ if I REALLY wanted stereo rather than the 212 because at the end of the day two 112's are more useful for stereo than one 212, especially once you've already got a 112. 

Yeah, I am halfway there either way.  I would either buy a 212 and sell my 112+ or get a second 112+; however, space is a little bit of an issue.

I may just experiment a bit with my studio monitors at this point and then see.  I'm on a trip now so won't be able to dig into this for another week.

• 2 months later...

Stereo aside, Powercab 112+ vs 212 would be more of a question of your usage requirements. I found 212 a little too big to fit in and balance with the rest of the band in our small club gigs. We seem to play a lot of Irish Pubs for some reason. In North Carolina no less. The other guitar player uses a Fender Blues Junior. So I have the 212 in my studio/office for just playing and practicing, and use the 112+ for gigs.