Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Just updated to latest Firmware and can't access backup!

joesnewmatch

I haven't updated in a while and finally got some time to do it, so I did a backup like always, updated Helix Editor, first, and then did the Firmware update.

Everything seems to have worked fine.  However, when I went to backup my user presets, I couldn't do it.  

I can find the folders on my computer, with the backup folder, but the actual backup is grayed-out, and not clickable.

I should mention that I am running macOS Monterey Version 12.3.1.  Wondering if this is the problem.  

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.  I've got 4 years or so of presets I rely on and would have to start over at this point.  Thanks.

On 4/18/2022 at 2:57 PM, joesnewmatch said:

I haven't updated in a while and finally got some time to do it, so I did a backup like always, updated Helix Editor, first, and then did the Firmware update.

Everything seems to have worked fine.  However, when I went to backup my user presets, I couldn't do it.  

I can find the folders on my computer, with the backup folder, but the actual backup is grayed-out, and not clickable.

I should mention that I am running macOS Monterey Version 12.3.1.  Wondering if this is the problem.  

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.  I've got 4 years or so of presets I rely on and would have to start over at this point.  Thanks.

Hi,

When you made the "Backup" before installing the FW update, HX Edit by default would place it on your Mac in "Documents/Line6/Tones/Backups" and the file would be named and dated to suit your hardware and tagged as a .hxb file. There should be previous backup files available to restore if you have been making incremental backups with earlier updates. Check for them under the dropdown option on the restore window.

To restore the backup you should select "Restore From Backup..." found under the "File" dropdown menu on your Mac. This should automatically point you to where the file was saved. Then choose the Backup items that you wish to restore. If that is not happening, then you could try to "Extract Files From Backup" - also under the Mac's File menu. Using extract should pull out and retrieve any, or all, the files from the backup bundle.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

• Upvote 1

I can see all of my .hxb files, but I cannot click on them in order to import them into my User Presets.  

When I also try to use a Restore option from the menu, I see a window showing the Documents/Line6/Tones/Helix/Backups, but it says "no compatible backup files in selection folder -- even though I see my backups there.  

The .hxb files are grayed out.  

On 4/18/2022 at 5:55 PM, joesnewmatch said:

The .hxb files are grayed out.

This may sound obvious, but please ensure that the version of HX Edit you are using is 3.15. It is not unknown for some Mac users to have an alias back to an earlier version still lurking on their computer.

If it really is HX Edit 3.15 then possibly, as noted by “silverhead” above, you need to ensure that your permissions are set correctly for the folder where the .hxb files are (Mac security as started to become a total PITA). You could also try making a copy of the .hxb files to another area of the Mac (Desktop) where you can access them, then navigate to that location from the HX Edit “Restore From Backup…” window. Remember - always work on a copy.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

• Upvote 1

On 4/18/2022 at 11:12 PM, joesnewmatch said:

Finally fixed it.  I tried cutting and pasting. Then I "extracted" the content.  Then, I physically dragged and dropped into user presets.  That finally worked.  Appreciate all the feedback.  Really, thank you all.  

Good to know that you got there in the end - remember “Fail Safe” - always have back up of your backup!

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

• 6 months later...

Please help. I'm having this same issue but with the new 3.50 update. My backup file is grayed out when I use HX Edit 3.50. (See attached screenshot.) When I right-click, there's no "Show contents" available for me to access any of my preset files, Global settings, etc. And when I use "Extract Files from Backup" it shows a grayed out backup as well. Never ran into this problem before and don't want to have to manually start all over or drag and drop much older setlist files.

Important Update: Hang on, I figured it out totally by accident. There's an "Open" button on the backup/extract dialog box I accidentally clicked and it restored properly. The key is to select the correct folder and click open. You don't have to select the file itself. When you select the folder and click Open, Helix LT automatically recognizes the backup file in that folder and loads it appropriately.

I think this needs to be explained for future updates or as a rule in general somewhere in the manual or on the latest release notes each time as part of the backup steps.

Screen Shot 2022-11-03 at 11.51.08 PM.png

Edited by ebeaty
Found an accidental solution

Thanks, this worked...

In the Quality Assurance world, the term "WORKSFORME" is appropriate here.

After enduring nonsense from a Line 6 "Expert" who knows nada about QA and security I found this thread...

Experts = Knows nothing, so send youtube video as fact...

• 7 months later...

Well this is most interesting. I'm running a mac and Monterey..  A few months ago I did a successful backup and restored onto a second machine with no issues. Now, I cant do diddly squat! All my full backups do not show as an .hbx file. They show as a document and therefore are totally useless..   Presets are fine but I loaded one and its snapshots didnt arrive with the preset.

Ideas please.... even L6 are puzzled!

Screenshot 2023-06-15 at 12.11.30 PM.png