Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix has total Lock up after v3.15 instal

plthomas

After installing the newest update (v3.15) I have been experiencing complete system lock up. The first couple of times it only required a power cycle to reset. This last time it required a full factory reset and restoral of back up.  Is this bug something anyone else has seen? My unit is several years old and gets a ton of use so It could be just starting to fail but the issue only appeared after the latest update? Thoughts? Advice?

On 4/20/2022 at 2:45 PM, plthomas said:

Is this bug something anyone else has seen?

I updated when 3.15 came out and haven't had any issues like you are describing. 

Is it locking up on a particular preset, or after something particular you do such as engaging certain blocks in certain orders? That would indicate a corrupt preset or two that is causing you grief. 

Or is it random, any given preset at any given time? I would try the following... 

• Take physical note of all GLOBAL settings
  • Do a factory reset of the GLOBAL SETTINGS only. 
  • Now set them by hand - rather than restoring from a backup. 
    • NOTE: Tuner is also part of global settings, and VARIAX (if you have one) is also part of global settings. 

If that still doesn't work, then sadly it might be time for hardware service. 

If you believe it could be firmware related.... try rolling back the firmware and restoring the last backup from "that firmware" to see if the problem still exists. 

• 1 month later...

Same here. I wound up finding one preset that was freezing the entire unit. I don't have a lot of presets, so it was a little easier to pin point. I did everything from resetting to factory, and restoring from backup, rebuilding the presets to the latest OS, ETC, ETC..even rolled back to 3.11, and it was all the same. As soon as I hit that one preset..the entire unit froze up.

The way I found it was by performing the factory reset, restoring from backup, and not selecting any presets. Exported all the user presets that I had made to my drive. Then did another factory reset, and imported them back one at a time, until the culprit was revealed.

Contacted support, and sent the tech my backup and the one isolated preset, and it did the same thing to his Helix. They tried to figure out what the problem was, but couldn't figure it out, and said, "well hopefully the next update will fix that"...UGH...it's my go to preset, but as long as it's not installed, my Helix works as normal.

3.15 seems to have some bugs that need to be ironed out. I was told another update is coming soon.

On 6/5/2022 at 7:48 PM, SPIKER01 said:

..UGH...it's my go to preset, but as long as it's not installed, my Helix works as normal.

….

Assuming you have a copy of the offending hlx file you can use this site to upload it and inspect the preset’s detailed settings so you can manually recreate it.

https://hxview.netlify.app/

• Upvote 2

On 6/5/2022 at 8:59 PM, silverhead said:

Assuming you have a copy of the offending hlx file you can use this site to upload it and inspect the preset’s detailed settings so you can manually recreate it.

What a great resource for safely inspecting presets, setlists and bundles. 

Bookmarked for future reference... 

On 6/6/2022 at 2:59 AM, silverhead said:

That viewer seem to be a lot more reliable than another option which someone posted a while back. The other was a real cludge job that didn't even show the correct output selection.This looks interesting as it also show the DSP load on each block - a nice touch!

Thanks for linking that.

• Like 1