Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Logic Pro - Helix Bug When Punching Record

deparko

Greetings,

I am having a problem when punching record in Logic Pro, my Helix seems to jump to a undefined preset. 

Running a Helix LT at 3.15 with an Apple mac M1 pro. Have not recorded in a while (3 or 4 weeks). I use Neural DSP plugins sometimes so I have a bypass Preset that uses channel 5/6. I created an Audio strip in Logic with inputs 5/6, start my Neural plugin, enable recording and everything sounds great through my monitors (driven by the Helix). I punch the Record button in Logic and I get a dry signal, looking down at my Helix LT it shows that it jumped to some undefined preset. When I stop Record in Logic, My helix jumps back to my original bypass preset. 

When I enable the "Bypass All Control Surfaces"  option in Logic preferences, it fixes the problem. I'm assuming the problem is on the Logic side but wondered if anyone can provide further guidance. Perhaps you have run across this.  I did delete my controller entries but the problem is still happening. I do have a work around with the "Bypass All Control Surfaces" option but need to debug this problem

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. 

-D

Are you using automation to control Helix?

If not, in Global Settings MIDI/Tempo disable MIDI PC Receive.

If you are, change the BASE MIDI Channel to something other than 1 and use the new channel for automation messages.

I have no clue about what Logic does, but if I had this problem in Reaper that's what I'd do.

I'd also first try to find out why it's happening by using MIDI THRU to loop back to a MIDI Monitor (I assume Logic has one) to see what exactly is being sent and troubleshoot from there, but above is the simple solution.

Good suggestions from @rd2rk. Your Helix is obeying orders, so you need to figure out who is sending the orders and how it's happening. Get a copy of MIDI Monitor (free from Snoize) and see what's going on. MIDI Monitor will show you who is sending what. Also, create an empty Logic project and see if it still happens when you press record. Remove as many variables as possible.

At the moment, I don't do any automation so I'll disable Global Setting and post in the Logic Pro forum. I deleted my controllers in Logic and the problem still occurs so definitely a comment trigger of some sort. I'll also look into a Midi monitor. I'm sure is some type of user error. I need to get my digital chops up. I'll keep you posted. 

- D

btw, just disabled the Global setting and changed the MIDI channel and it works like a champ. Now I need to fix the bug