Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Headphones - yeah, yeah....I know.

themetallikid

I have searched, and the 2 popular ones I see most are (correct me if I'm wrong:

Sennheiser HD600 - Open Back - $400 roughly

Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 Ohm - $160 roughly

What will I noticed with the variation between open back and closed.  My current phones are closed...but I dont have any experience with open back ones.   My current phones are pretty heavy in the 240hz range and pretty light on the 6k range.  Which is why i need to find a more 'flat' response set.  I've been able in the past to dial in with my headphones into my bands PA system, however my band is no more...and PA systems will fluctuate a bit more going forward for me, so I just need a better straight up reference pair.  Also dialing in the acoustic simulator is impossible with those 2 frequencies running wild I mentioned above.

I really would only be using these for preset creation, practicing at home to Spotify....so I dont need studio, mix-mastering level of quality....but I need something quality as I dont have the budget to try, replace, try, replace.  Also, my gf will likely buy them as a birthday gift, so I'd prefer to not have to exchange her gift being that she will basically buy whatever I suggest. lol.   

I guess from a quality sound perspective (ignoring the closed vs open back concept) what would be the difference between the two models?  Secondly, how does the closed vs open back affect my first question?   

Appreciate any help here.  The information on this topic is overwhelming and I know I'm dumping a glass of water into the ocean by asking in another thread, but I feel I've come down to these 2 options and its hard to sort out opinions, reviews etc with all other posts in those threads. 

I think at this level it really comes down to personal preferences.  I can only speak to DT770's as I've owned 2 different pairs of them.  I did compare them at one time to the HD600, and I thought they were both excellent headphones, but I went with the DT770's mostly due to comfort.  When I use headphones I normally wear them a long time...like all day and the DT770's feel like pillows on my head and I've actually forgotten I was wearing them from time to time.

You may be better off just going to trying both of them out and see what you think.  I've heard other people remark they don't like the isolation of closed back headphones and you may be one of those kind of people.

Anyway...sorry to hear about your band.  We just had a minor shakeup in ours as well...or will have come May 1st.  You get used to it after a while....

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 4/22/2022 at 3:17 PM, DunedinDragon said:

I think at this level it really comes down to personal preferences.  I can only speak to DT770's as I've owned 2 different pairs of them.  I did compare them at one time to the HD600, and I thought they were both excellent headphones, but I went with the DT770's mostly due to comfort.  When I use headphones I normally wear them a long time...like all day and the DT770's feel like pillows on my head and I've actually forgotten I was wearing them from time to time.

You may be better off just going to trying both of them out and see what you think.  I've heard other people remark they don't like the isolation of closed back headphones and you may be one of those kind of people.

Anyway...sorry to hear about your band.  We just had a minor shakeup in ours as well...or will have come May 1st.  You get used to it after a while....

Yeah the band had gone for 10 years and I was just done, needed to move on.  I'm happier...lol.   

My current headphones are closed back and i like the isolation.  Just wasnt sure if there was a benefit to the open back that I'm not aware of.  

For the cost, I think I'll try the Beyer ones, It seems we are on the same page with a lot of stuff and I respect your review you gave here.....

Appreciate that.  

I use the Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro. Open backed, and I find them very comfortable. I used closed back phones before and I found them less comfortable. I don’t know how much the open back contributes to the comfort factor but it must be some, I think. After all, sound is just waveforms bouncing around. I think the open backs would relieve some air pressure on the eardrums, increasing comfort with less chance of headache during prolonged use, particularly at louder volumes.

I also think the higher impedance of the 990s helps with overall FRFR-like frequency response.

But as you say, closed back phones provide more sound isolation which can be helpful when recording. Less potential for audio bleed from the playback tracks into the mic.

• Like 1

I have both. I enjoy the Sennheiser more!

Consider Drop's HD6xx version of the Sennheiser. They are a serious contender amongst the Sennheiser's at a very competitive price point to the BD, and Drop readily accepts returns if you are unsatisfied.

I find the Sennheiser's headband clamping force more comfortable than the BD; also better fitting, and more comfortable for extended wearing. I also find them more accurate and less position sensitive. With the BD 770 Pro 250 Ohm I find that if they shift (or I position them a slight bit forward or aft) the high end perceptively changes. This is not an issue with the Sennheiser. 

If you will not be recording vocals, the closed back factor may not be essential. Also, the closed back style can cause the airspace around your ear to warm during longer wearing sessions or warm summer weather, whereas the open back do not do so as much.

Ultimately, the only thing that matters is your personal preference! And, the only way to get your answer is to try each to discover which suits your needs and satisfies your preferences. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I think we all agree - you’ve done your research and identified a couple of choices that you can’t really go wrong with. You’ll like them both but may have a slight preference for one. I would go to a retailer that carries both, and buy them both with the clear understanding that you will be returning one set for a full refund in a week.

I have been using Sony for decades. I do a lot of live engineering and cut my teeth on v600s and then v900s...I have CDR3000s for serious stuff...I currently use 7506 and they are basically the same as v900s...All cans have a bit of color to them and it takes a bit to get under how any set of cans translate...Seems like you researched and have some good ideas about what you prefer...In terms of impedance, I don't really like high impedance as I tend to use a lot of different gear and not all headphone amplifiers are created equal...60-80 seems like a sweet spot where the lower impedance does a bit better with amplifiers that simply can drive them properly...Situation is everything...best of luck!