Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Ext Pedal Jacks for Looping: Please upgrade firmware to allow for FS OR exp 2 & 3 jack

markwesse

On many units I have used in the past, it was possible to simply config the ext input jacks so that you could use EITHER expression pedals or switches. 

I do a lot of simple looping and have always found the FB switches on L6 pretty unergonomic/loud (in really intimate settings), wrong position and just plain clunky (just talking about looping here btw). I went on the lookout for a comfortable height, quiet pedals so that I could use them for dedicated looping; the king of the heap was this

image.png.5089cfec80cf5f748d1477f78028f043.png

image.png.12809813d0b842f43a245434382e3d09.png

Silent, low profile etc. So I simply removed the controller

Now I dont want to go hacking the Helix and it would be such a hard thing to add a setup config to allow the exp jack 2 & 3 to function as jacks (yes I know I can use 10k resistors blah blah but why? It also changes the nature of mapped controllers so it doesnt really work unless its treated as 0/1)

TO BE CLEAR: Im not using anything but the footswitches...ie Im not using the controller...Im just using the footswitches which are just a 3.5mm TS cable.

Does anyone else not find the position/switches for looping loud/clunky? (although I realise the Helix is a lot better)?

• markwesse changed the title to Ext Pedal Jacks for Looping: Please upgrade firmware to allow for FS OR exp 2 & 3 jack

Wrong forum. Nobody from Line6 Monitors this forum.

This is where you go if you're serious about suggestions for changes and improvements:

https://line6.ideascale.com/a/index

Before posting a new idea, please search to see if it's already been proposed. If 100 people vote on the same idea presented 20 different ways, it looks like only 5 people care about it!

Also, post your ideas one at a time. I for one NEVER vote for multiple combined suggestions.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

On 4/23/2022 at 11:55 PM, markwesse said:

Does anyone else not find the position/switches for looping loud/clunky? (although I realise the Helix is a lot better)?

Hi,

I have just posted a reply to your question regarding USB on Helix hardware. In that previous thread, you said that you were considering upgrading from a POD HD500. I’m a little confused by your request for a firmware update to a product that you don’t own?

As noted by “rd2rk” in the post above - these forums are not monitored by Line 6 staff, therefore your suggestion will have little or no chance of been acted on. Post you request to IdeaScale.

Also, you mention the position, and clunkiness of the footswitches, but say that you realise the Helix is better. Hmm… that is some thing that only you can determine by actually trying them for yourself. One man’s “unergonomic/loud (in really intimate settings), wrong position and just plain clunky”, could well be perfectly normal to someone else.

Note: most Helix users that are looper fans tend to use their own favourite dedicated external looper patched into the Send and Return of the Helix. I have 3 different Loopers (Ditto x4, Boss RC30, and a cheapo Ammoon Stereo) each for their different capabilities, and quirks such a loop length, backing track etc. 

Hope this helps/makes sense.

• Upvote 2

The Airturn Duo 200 has BT midi (if it can be programmed), so you could grab a CME WIDI Master for the Helix, and go wireless with the pedal you are used to.

Anyway, plenty of options if you go Midi instead exp. (and you don't have to wait for something that probably will never be implemented)

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...
On 4/24/2022 at 3:44 PM, rd2rk said:

Wrong forum. Nobody from Line6 Monitors this forum.

This is where you go if you're serious about suggestions for changes and improvements:

https://line6.ideascale.com/a/index

Before posting a new idea, please search to see if it's already been proposed. If 100 people vote on the same idea presented 20 different ways, it looks like only 5 people care about it!

Also, post your ideas one at a time. I for one NEVER vote for multiple combined suggestions.

Thanks for the instruction...sometimes Im so focused on the intent, Im oblivious to the context and each forums idiosyncrasies

On 4/24/2022 at 9:45 PM, datacommando said:

Hi,

I have just posted a reply to your question regarding USB on Helix hardware. In that previous thread, you said that you were considering upgrading from a POD HD500. I’m a little confused by your request for a firmware update to a product that you don’t own?

As noted by “rd2rk” in the post above - these forums are not monitored by Line 6 staff, therefore your suggestion will have little or no chance of been acted on. Post you request to IdeaScale.

Also, you mention the position, and clunkiness of the footswitches, but say that you realise the Helix is better. Hmm… that is some thing that only you can determine by actually trying them for yourself. One man’s “unergonomic/loud (in really intimate settings), wrong position and just plain clunky”, could well be perfectly normal to someone else.

Note: most Helix users that are looper fans tend to use their own favourite dedicated external looper patched into the Send and Return of the Helix. I have 3 different Loopers (Ditto x4, Boss RC30, and a cheapo Ammoon Stereo) each for their different capabilities, and quirks such a loop length, backing track etc. 

Hope this helps/makes sense.

Thanks for your responses...Ive been out of action for a while...just getting back online

Appreciate your info on the HD500 stuff

I’m a little confused by your request for a firmware update to a product that you don’t own?

Im presuming, like most other hardware inputs including the HD, an expression pedal is treated as a continuous type CV not a binary switch. The manual does not mention any option to treat as an on/off. Old stuff eg guitar rig controller has a specific allowance for an ext pedal to be practically anything and its from this history I learnt how much nicer (and quiet) the reed switches are for looping...the switches on the helix seem fine as I remember reading review about volume and feel and I think I saw a yt on it.

I encourage you to try the diff of an almost floor level reed switch vs a raised mechanical for that particular application...you might not agree and thats fine but at least know the extent of what Im illustrating...it may be a win for you as it took me quite a while to find an appreciate that. I also do percussion looping so the timing is pretty important for tight loops...anyway I digress

Other that simple stuff on L6 looper, I generally use live for serious stuff but Im not usually on guitar for that :-)

Serious live looping isnt going to happen on the helix :-)

Even the behringer/roland type switches are good for feel...although even on this early rig, I still had an external pedal for the actual loop starts etc just much more comfortable...I have posted about routings etc on helix as a final gateway to purchase but if it doesnt do it, I guess I can just get helix native and restore the old girl (just uses an embedded mini pc etc and UR44 but you dont see any of that.

See pic if its of interest.

I put a pic of the live perc rig too to give a feel of scope of looping...would be good if I can get helix to include synth engine in looping but having the other routing mentioned (if doable) will clinch the deal

GRig.jpg

Rig.jpg

On 7/1/2022 at 6:11 PM, markwesse said:

Thanks for the instruction...sometimes Im so focused on the intent, Im oblivious to the context and each forums idiosyncrasies

You would THINK that someone from L6 would monitor the L6 COMMUNITY FORUMS.

That's what we get for thinking logically!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...