Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Stomp and MD200 with Disaster Area DMC.Micro

muahdib4

Ok, messed with this all day.  I have a Disaster Area DMC, DIN in to my HX Stomp and out to my Boss MD200.  I have the 200 setup in the DMC as the second source.  I have the Stomp setup with midi thru turned on.  I can’t seem to get the DMC to change the preset on the 200.  I’ve always been an amp and pedals guy and MIDI is all kinds of new.  If I go straight from the DMC to the 200, I can get it to change the preset so I’m assuming it’s something I’ve set wrong on the Stomp.  I’m also quite likely wrong about that.  

Start by checking your cables.

If the cables are good, it should work. MIDI THRU is all you need on the HXS.

Disaster area makes 4 DMC controllers. Which model do you have (so I can check the manual)?

• Upvote 1

On 4/24/2022 at 7:16 PM, rd2rk said:

Disaster area makes 4 DMC controllers. Which model do you have (so I can check the manual)?

@muahdib4's thread title says "DMC.Micro".

However, there is now the new "DMC.Micro Pro" model. 

Also, when it comes to the functionality of the original Micro, the firmware version will make a major difference. After upgrading to v2, it was almost as if I had a new device. (Not unsimilar from upgrading the Stomp from v2.x to v3… :)

And as I see, they have released a new update a few months ago: disasterareadesigns.com/dmc-beta

The critical step was to engage MIDI Thru on the Stomp... since you did that I'm at a loss as to why the midi signal is not being passed along to the MD200. Have you tried turning off MIDI PC Send on the Helix... maybe (just maybe) that is interfering/fighting with the signal from the DMC.Micro.  

Do you have the 2nd midi adapter for the MD200... maybe try going through the Boss, then to the Stomp. 

On 4/24/2022 at 12:16 PM, rd2rk said:

Start by checking your cables.

If the cables are good, it should work. MIDI THRU is all you need on the HXS.

I have the DMC.micro PRO.

On 4/25/2022 at 7:37 AM, codamedia said:

The critical step was to engage MIDI Thru on the Stomp... since you did that I'm at a loss as to why the midi signal is not being passed along to the MD200. Have you tried turning off MIDI PC Send on the Helix... maybe (just maybe) that is interfering/fighting with the signal from the DMC.Micro.  

Do you have the 2nd midi adapter for the MD200... maybe try going through the Boss, then to the Stomp. 

I did just try what you suggested and didn't change anything.  I don't have 2 of the 1/8th to DIN cables.  Apparently I can use a 1/4 to 1/8 TRS cable and just run to the Boss straight from the DMC Pro.  Not ideal and I don't have that cable either.  May just order both of those and keep messing with it.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 4/23/2022 at 11:16 PM, muahdib4 said:

Ok, messed with this all day.  I have a Disaster Area DMC, DIN in to my HX Stomp and out to my Boss MD200.  I have the 200 setup in the DMC as the second source.  I have the Stomp setup with midi thru turned on.  I can’t seem to get the DMC to change the preset on the 200.  I’ve always been an amp and pedals guy and MIDI is all kinds of new.  If I go straight from the DMC to the 200, I can get it to change the preset so I’m assuming it’s something I’ve set wrong on the Stomp.  I’m also quite likely wrong about that.  

In the DMC settings make sure you set it to DEV B which will allow it to control both the HX and the DD. Default is DEV A, for single device control.

You will want to use the DMC preset mode. And use the web editor for the DMC it's gonna be way easier than editing on the device.

But; easy enough to check the DEV A or DEV B setting. Unplug the DMC. When powering it on hold down the left button until it says entering set up. 

DMC preset mode is where you tell the DMC how many P01, P02, etc DMC presets. These are where P01 in the DMC recalls a specific Preset in the HX and in the DD at the same time. The P01, P02, etc. order does not need to follow the HX or DD preset sequence.  And it will only recall the presets you assign to each P01, P02.

The other preset scroll mode should send preset up or preset down commands to the HX and thru to the DD. However that mode was glitchy for me with the HX in that it kept jumping to 01A on the HX. 

I just started setting up the DMC preset mode and liking it wayyyy better. Also have a Nemesis and Ventris on that board; do not yet have them linked to the DMC preset mode but that's next.

Here are a few key bits copied from the DMC manual:

MAX PRESET / PRST: Number of presets available in Preset mode. If PRST is set to OFF, preset mode will be disabled. Range OFF to 99, default 16.

PRST CHAN/ P CH: Sets the channels the DMC will send using Preset Mode. Set A, B, C, D to send on channels 1, 2, 3, 4. Set any channel to 0 to disable sending on that channel.

DEVICES / DEV: Number of available device modes. Each device mode controls one MIDI device on channels 1-4 (devices A-D.) Range OFF to DevD, default DevA

https://www.disasterareadesigns.com/s/DMCmicro-PRO-manual-202a-WEB.pdf

Boss 200-Series:

All of the pedals in this series have the same MIDI implementation. Please ensure that your 200-series pedal is updated to the latest firmware from the Boss site to enable full MIDI control.

Configure the device slot you wish to use for your Boss pedal as Boss 200 / BOS2. Ex. DevD = Boss 200.

Configure MULTIJACK = MIDI TIP / MID.T and set JACK CHAN / J CH to match the device slot you have selected, ex. JACK CHAN = CH D.

Ensure that the DIP switches on the DMC.micro are set to ON-ON-ON.

Connect your Boss pedal’s 1/8” MIDI input to the MutliJack using a 1/4” to 1/8” TRS cable

Enter the 200-series settings menu by holding the two buttons above the footswitches, ex. TAP

DIVISION and MEMORY on the DD-200.

Turn the data knob to select a parameter, then press it to select and change that parameter. On

the DD-200 this is the TIME knob.

Configure rCH to match the MIDI channel for your chosen device slot, ex. DevA = CH1, DevB =

CH2. Configure tCh = OFF, Pin = ON, Pot = OFF, CCi = ON, CCo = OFF, EPC = 16, EFC = 27, SYn =

Aut, Nth = ON

Save and exit by holding both buttons down