Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Effect : Problem of noise and breath with the EXTAMP connection connected in my amp head

francoisharre

Hello
I have a problem of big noise and breath with my HX effect when I connect it to my BLACKSTAR HT20 amp head to control the channel change.
I take out the HX effect from the "PEDAL: EXTAMP2" socket with a TS cable (with 2 rings) and I put it into the amp head in the "FOOTSWITCH IN" socket. The change of channel works but as soon as I turn on the amp I have a big background noise and breath.
Can someone help me?
thanks in advance
François (from France)

On 4/25/2022 at 1:22 PM, francoisharre said:

Hello
I have a problem of big noise and breath with my HX effect when I connect it to my BLACKSTAR HT20 amp head to control the channel change.
I take out the HX effect from the "PEDAL: EXTAMP2" socket with a TS cable (with 2 rings) and I put it into the amp head in the "FOOTSWITCH IN" socket. The change of channel works but as soon as I turn on the amp I have a big background noise and breath.
Can someone help me?
thanks in advance
François (from France)

Have you tried changing the settings for the 'Select' parameter("Tip", "Ring", etc.) in Command Center when you assign 'Command'="Ext Amp"? Also, a "2 ring" cable is TRS(tip, ring, sleeve) not TS(tip, ring). The TS cables have a single ring. What type of cable does the footswitch that came with the Blackstar use? From what I dug up on Google it looks like it uses a single-ring TS cable. Try the same type of cable that came with your amp's footswitch.

Also, do you get the noise when switching your amp with the Blackstar included pedal?

• Upvote 1

On 4/27/2022 at 8:26 PM, HonestOpinion said:

Have you tried changing the settings for the 'Select' parameter("Tip", "Ring", etc.) in Command Center when you assign 'Command'="Ext Amp"? Also, a "2 ring" cable is TRS(tip, ring, sleeve) not TS(tip, ring). The TS cables have a single ring. What type of cable does the footswitch that came with the Blackstar use? From what I dug up on Google it looks like it uses a single-ring TS cable. Try the same type of cable that came with your amp's footswitch.

Also, do you get the noise when switching your amp with the Blackstar included pedal?

Hello
thank you for your answer 
I did use a cable with two rings. I did not try to change the settings of the "Select" parameter ("Tip", "Ring", etc.) in Command Center when you assign "Command'="Ext Amp", I will see this point and try to change parameters.
The footswitch of the blackstar has a cable with two rings. (see attached pictures)
When I change the amp channel with the blackstrap pedal, there is no noise.

IMG_2634.jpg

On 5/1/2022 at 12:47 PM, francoisharre said:

Hello
I did use a cable with two rings. I did not try to change the settings of the "Select" parameter ("Tip", "Ring", etc.) in Command Center when you assign "Command'="Ext Amp", I will see this point and try to change parameters.
The footswitch of the blackstar has a cable with two rings. (see attached pictures)

IMG_2634.jpg

Looks like you are using the right cable. Good luck with the tip/ring options. Btw, might not hurt to try the 'Type' settings there with both the latching and the momentary options, just to be thorough.  I remember having a similar noise issue years ago with a Boogie amp when using an old non-Line6 modeler for switching. I eventually gave up and got an RJM switcher and that worked perfectly. More compact and less cabling, hassle, and expense, though, if you can get your amp switching correctly with the HX FX.

If you have a spare TRS cable, try swapping that out too, in the event that it turns out to be a defective cable.

• Upvote 1

On 5/1/2022 at 12:47 PM, francoisharre said:

Hello

IMG_2634.jpg

Thought I should mention, if you can't get the TRS cable to work, it might also be worth experimenting with a TS cable (single ring jack), even if it is not the same type as the footswitch the amp came with. Oh, and all suggestions should be accompanied with at "at your own risk and hopefully with an amp still under warranty", grin.

• Upvote 1

Hello
Thanks for all your advice, I'm going to buy a new TRS cable to be sure and I'll also test the tip/ring settings.
I may avoid trying with a TS cable, because the amp is not guaranteed anymore.

Je vais croiser les doigts pour espérer avoir de la chance et que cela fonctionne.

By the way, what country are you from? I'm from France

Thanks a lot

François

On 5/3/2022 at 12:16 PM, francoisharre said:

Hello
Thanks for all your advice, I'm going to buy a new TRS cable to be sure and I'll also test the tip/ring settings.
I may avoid trying with a TS cable, because the amp is not guaranteed anymore.

Je vais croiser les doigts pour espérer avoir de la chance et que cela fonctionne.

By the way, what country are you from? I'm from France

Thanks a lot

François

I'm in the US. I understand not wanting to take any risks with an amp no longer under warranty. Too bad because the TS cable might (?) be the solution. Good luck with getting this working!