Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Freezing - HX Edit won't connect

lespool79

This is what I was afraid of with a Helix.  It was working perfectly.  I didn't change anything and then all of a sudden I noticed when it is USB connected to the computer when I am playing, it started to freeze and the presets wouldn't change via the foot switch. 

I run the helix into USB and then output of the helix into a focusrite interface which goes into Logic Pro X.   Now HX Edit won't connect.  I have 3.15 so I'm not sure what else there is to do.  This Helix and set up are only a month or so old, I just go this so I'm not sure of how to handle these "glitches".  Thoughts?

Did you update HX Edit to v3.15 before you updated the FW?

Did you follow the update instructions EXACTLY?

Did you do a Reset after the update per the instructions?

I have a Floor and a Stomp and use Scarlett 18i20 into an i7 PC into Reaper with no such problems.

Since you're using Logic I'm guessing you're on a MAC?

In a moment I'm sure that our resident MAC dude will be by....

On 4/25/2022 at 6:36 PM, rd2rk said:

Did you update HX Edit to v3.15 before you updated the FW?

It either came with 3.15 or I did it before even connecting.  I believe it was part of the initial HX edit setup and then I saw it was 3.15. 

Did you follow the update instructions EXACTLY?

I believe so.  it was workin flawlessly for 3 weeks.  Played my first gig with it and added about 45 presets with no issues.  

Did you do a Reset after the update per the instructions?

I did not do anything as I am terrified.  I have a gig this Friday and I just dont want to do anything drastic without help. 

I have a Floor and a Stomp and use Scarlett 18i20 into an i7 PC into Reaper with no such problems.

Since you're using Logic I'm guessing you're on a MAC?

Yes MacBookpro that just updated the operating system.  that might be what is changing here.  The inputs into the Mac have been a little finicky since.  

In a moment I'm sure that our resident MAC dude will be by....

On 4/25/2022 at 4:40 PM, lespool79 said:

Yes MacBookpro that just updated the operating system.  that might be what is changing here.  The inputs into the Mac have been a little finicky since.  

Sounds like a good place to start.

Re-install HX Edit v3.15. That will re-install all of the proper drivers.

ok - I can't afford anything crazy so hang with me here.  

To re-install im going to delete HX Edit from my computer then download it again.  Since I have everything backed up I will then "restore from backup"?  Right?  Is there a way I can do this without the Helix connected so I dont risk deleting these presets.  I literally would be screwed if this thing isn't set right for Friday.  I dont have the time to rebuild all these presets and I sadly am not very comfortable with this (as im making clear by what im asking).  

Thanks in advance. 

Downloading and re-installing HX Edit v3.15 will not delete any presets on your HX FX device. It’s good that you have your backup but you shouldn’t need it. Make sure that your HX FX device is also running v3.15 firmware.

HX Edit will not run without a Helix device connected, but if you’re nervous about things you could disconnect your focusrite until you’re comfortable that your Helix and HX edit are working OK. If things go screwy again after you reconnect the focusrite then it’s likely that there’s a USB conflict in your system.

• Upvote 1

Don't confuse HX Edit with the FIRMWARE of your Helix. HX Edit is a program on your computer. It reads and interacts with Helix but is a separate entity.

You CAN delete/uninstall HX Edit if you want, but in the past when the drivers have become corrupt all I did was re-install.

Either way, it has nothing to do with the FIRMWARE of your Helix.

You might need to worry if you were re-installing the FIRMWARE.

You do not want to re-install the FIRMWARE if you have a gig coming up and the performance aspects of your Helix are OK.

In the meantime, after re-installing HX Edit, if the problem recurs:

1) practice using Helix without the USB connection.

IF, without the USB connection, Helix locks up, then you MAY have a problem with the FIRMWARE and you MAY have to re-install it.

If that happens, DON'T PANIC!

You'll first do a backup and then a Factory Reset. That often cures weird problems

If that doesn't work you WILL have to re-install the FIRMWARE.

DON'T PANIC!

READ AND FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS - ALL OF THEM - EXACTLY!

You should be fine. It's not a big deal unless you fail to follow the directions.

2) If re-installing HX Edit doesn't fix the problem and you have a trusted computer tech, have them test your computer's OS and especially it's USB system.

You might want to do this BEFORE you attempt to re-install the FIRMWARE.

3) What's your Plan B? Combo amp and pedalboard? WHAT? YOU DON'T HAVE A PLAN B?!?

DUDE! Helix is a frelling COMPUTER! ALWAYS have a backup plan!

• Upvote 1

Ok - I won't panic!   haha

So to reinstall this HX edit I am just re-downloading it and then installing it again.  That should fix any driver issue?  That's the plan?

I do not have this issue when the helix isn't connected to the computer so I think im ok with the firmware.  

No backup plan!  The band does a silent stage so we all have modelers, electric drums, keys....   uh oh!  

On 4/25/2022 at 7:38 PM, lespool79 said:

So to reinstall this HX edit I am just re-downloading it and then installing it again.  That should fix any driver issue?  That's the plan?

That's the plan!

I do not have this issue when the helix isn't connected to the computer so I think im ok with the firmware.  

Excellent!

No backup plan!  The band does a silent stage so we all have modelers, electric drums, keys....   uh oh!  

Uh Oh! Maybe this is your guardian angel giving you a wake up call!

FWIW - a lot of people keep a PodGo or an HX Stomp in their gig bag specifically for this reason.

so frustrating.  I did the HX edit reinstall and its still the same.  It seems to me like its either the USB adapter or the new Mac OS update that is messing with the USB inputs.  It will connect but it won't stay connected and most of the time it won't even connect.  

So annoying.  I guess I can try something with a Mac OS update or a revert to the old OS or try a new USB adapter (since these Macs have no real usb input).

any other thoughts surely welcome.  Now that you mention it my keyboard player grabs a guitar every once in a while and his HX stomp is on stage.  so worst case I grab that and he sticks to the keys.  

Slight update.  It must be the computer and multiple USB inputs.  I am running the helix's headphone out into my speaker and now the helix is connected through the single USB port to HX edit and I have not had a problem in 20 min.  I have bypassed the focusrite into Logic Pro.  Now this works but I usually play along with music so now I have to have the music coming out of the computer speakers or I need to get another speaker connected to the laptop.  so its a workaround and its annoying but at least it works.  At least it works for setting up new presets.  I can always just not load HX edit and do it my old way and when I want to simply play along with songs.