Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Variax sounds on the Helix

brue58ski

I really like many of the sounds on the Varaix sample page

https://line6.com/variax-modeling-guitars/sound/

However, I cannot seem to obtain those sounds on my Helix with my Variax. Is there a way Line 6 could provide the Helix patches that were used for that. Unless, (GASP) the Helix was not used. I especially like the acoustic sounds.

The basic guitar sounds are produced by the Variax guitar but there’s certainly additional processing (amp/cab, compression, EQ, reverb, etc.) applied to the tone you hear in the links you provide. Those sound recordings have been around long before Helix was around so it’s definitely not Helix in the background

Typically Line 6 is uses minimal additional processing when they highlight their product sounds but those recordings definitely have amps and perhaps other equipment involved. No way to know exactly what it is unless they tell us, and I don’t see that.

For acoustic guitars the IR, and it’s placement within the signal chain, can have a dramatic effect. Acoustic patches are typically quite simple. No guitar amp, but the Studio Tube preamp, a bit of compression and reverb, and some EQ to tame the piezos. Both Customtone and Helix Marketplace have some acoustic guitar patches, with Marketplace being better quality imho.

I forgot about Helix not being around at the time. Still, let me know what the chain was then. Especially for the acoustics. I cannot get them to sound as good as they do in the clips. I would like some help and I've already been all over the internet. The 12 string Rikenbacher was nice too. But really, I though all of them sounded great there. I was hoping some one still knew/had the info about how they were processed exactly. Help me Line 6, you're my only hope.

Unless someone from the small group of Line 6 employees who created those sound files so many years ago shows up here, you will need to open a support ticket and hope that/those persons can be tracked down and are willing to share their memories of the event. Otherwise I don't know of any way to get the details.

However, a few minutes ago I posted an example to CustomTone. Search for my name. The preset is called D28 DI XLR and there are comments describing the physical setup. Try this with the Variax model Acoustic 1 and some of the many free acoustic guitar IRs that are available through the link I provide in the CustomTone Comments for the preset.

Not saying you will find that it sounds good to you using your Variax and different equipment.... but sounds good to me in my studio using my actual Martin and a DI box to the Helix mic input. The most important thing is the simplicity of the preset structure. With the Looper I use it to practice my acoustic lead solos.

btw... you will also see some other acoustic guitar presets I have used in the past for specific purposes.

Thank you for your efforts. I will check them out later. I'm not sure how much effort I'm going to put into finding this out since all you say is true. And let's not forget how little Line 6 actually goes to this forum. I'd probably have better luck on Gear Page. Thanks again.

Also, the processing applied to each Variax model is probably different. I would expect to be hearing a Fender amp for a Fender guitar, a Marshall amp for a Gibson, a Vox for the Rickenbacker, etc. All intended to provide the listener with very familiar and great classic sounds. “You, too, can sound like this! All you need is a Variax!”  Not that there’s anything wrong with that. Just marketing.

On 4/28/2022 at 8:55 AM, brue58ski said:

However, I cannot seem to obtain those sounds on my Helix with my Variax. Is there a way Line 6 could provide the Helix patches that were used for that. Unless, (GASP) the Helix was not used. I especially like the acoustic sounds.

I've never seen that page, but does show the capabilities of the Variax quite well.

Although the helix would not have been used for those samples, those sounds are all attainable from the Helix. I wouldn't be surprised if those tones came from an XT or an X3. The acoustics seem to be processed the way acoustics usually are... a studio pre-amp, a touch of EQ, reverb and possibly some compression.