Jump to content

Powercab 2x12 - what are the drawbacks, I've seen some posted, but also lots of positive comments


themetallikid
 Share

Recommended Posts

I would basically be using it to offload the IR/Cab blocks from my Helix, and also have a more traditional 'backline' for stage volume.   

 

I see some like the on board speaker models, and some prefer IR's.  I've been happy with the stock cabs, but I do have a collection of York IR's I could load in and revisit some settings to adjust...if I had to.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As a 2 x PC+ user the downside of the approach your considering (for me) was the workflow became a lot more complex, and difficult to get levels right and know how it would sound FoH.

 

It required monitoring out the back of the cabs via the XLR to check signal levels, and the PC+ does not sound identical to FoH or other FRFR outputs so it means checking both sources to find the compromise.

 

As a result I returned to all processing in the Helix so I can easily monitor levels, and sounds across sources, and I accept that the PC+ is where I compromise on tone. That is, is the PC+ good enough whilst FoH is what I want the audience to hear?

 

In simple terms it just got too damned hard to create and manage patches and not woth the effort.

 

I had similar issue when I tried using a pair of DT25s for more amp in the room sound on stage - it was even more complex to get 'right' :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah rd2rk, I've been following your posts when the PC conversations come up which is what made me want to consolidate it here a bit to help decide if it would benefit me at all.  

 

The powered wedge I care around is a EV 15", and while the 15 is a bit much for guitar, it gives me enough low end response to help sorta hear what subs may be doing or picking up in a FOH type system.  Just wasnt sure if the form factor of the PC vs Wedge would be a benefit...with the added benefit of off-loading the cab/IR dsp requirements and allow me more flexibility in preset design.

 

Doesnt seem that it would be worth it as much right now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

From a logistics perspective, it's probably a toss-up.

I used to have a pair of EVM12L wedges. Together they weighed nearly as much as my car!

FWIW - I still have the PC212, and it sounds great with my new Catalyst 100.

Makes the rig sound REALLY BIG!

I just leave it set to LF RAW (no tweeter or emulation) and don't get fancy with L6 Link settings.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/29/2022 at 11:30 AM, rd2rk said:

From a logistics perspective, it's probably a toss-up.

I used to have a pair of EVM12L wedges. Together they weighed nearly as much as my car!

FWIW - I still have the PC212, and it sounds great with my new Catalyst 100.

Makes the rig sound REALLY BIG!

I just leave it set to LF RAW (no tweeter or emulation) and don't get fancy with L6 Link settings.

Meaning you basically use it as a 2x12 FRFR cabinet?   

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/29/2022 at 11:45 AM, themetallikid said:

Meaning you basically use it as a 2x12 FRFR cabinet?   

 

 

 

Just the opposite. "LF RAW" means that I'm NOT using either the emulations or the coaxial tweeter, therefore NOT FRFR, although I COULD use either the emulations or the on-board IRs (or Helix IRs) if I wanted to.

 

I'm basically using it as a 250w x 2 stereo guitar cab set to 200% width and with my Helix providing stereo FX set to full spread.

The Catalyst w/o FX acts as the "dry" portion of a modified W/D/W configuration.

At only 65-75db (apartment levels) it sounds MUCH bigger than you'd expect, and at 85db+ it's HUGE!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am using the helix and the power cad plus just exactly as you are thinking about doing. I load my York IR's in the power cab and select loaded IR locations from HX edit. I am going to FOH from the power cab, so I am getting exactly what I am hearing from the cab to front of house. Yes there is a little more work when creating patches, but I really enjoy that kind of thing. When creating a patch I have both the helix and the power cab connected via usb to the my PC. I have HX edit and Power Cab edit running at the same time. The reason for that is so I can select the exact IR in Power Cab edit that I can't see in HX edit. You can see the number selected in HX edit but not the names of the IR. You can see the name in Power Cab edit. It instantly edits your selection from power cab edit to HX edit, just make sure your helix is connected to your power cab. I save the patch at that point. I edit whatever else I am doing in HX edit. To tell the truth this is so much dang fun. Like having all this gear you could never own with this system. Hoping to get a Variax soon to cover everything guitar wise. Also maybe looking in the getting another power cab to run two in stereo. Working on the logistics for front of house on that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/3/2022 at 8:07 PM, robfuentes24 said:

I am using the helix and the power cad plus just exactly as you are thinking about doing. I load my York IR's in the power cab and select loaded IR locations from HX edit. I am going to FOH from the power cab, so I am getting exactly what I am hearing from the cab to front of house. Yes there is a little more work when creating patches, but I really enjoy that kind of thing. When creating a patch I have both the helix and the power cab connected via usb to the my PC. I have HX edit and Power Cab edit running at the same time. The reason for that is so I can select the exact IR in Power Cab edit that I can't see in HX edit. You can see the number selected in HX edit but not the names of the IR. You can see the name in Power Cab edit. It instantly edits your selection from power cab edit to HX edit, just make sure your helix is connected to your power cab. I save the patch at that point. I edit whatever else I am doing in HX edit. To tell the truth this is so much dang fun. Like having all this gear you could never own with this system. Hoping to get a Variax soon to cover everything guitar wise. Also maybe looking in the getting another power cab to run two in stereo. Working on the logistics for front of house on that.

Yeah that sounds pretty much like how I would be using it.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...