Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix LT - Use like a Attenuator?

NevenT

So I recently got a the Helix LT.  I'm using it with 4 cable method with a 1982 JCM 800 that has an effects loop added. 

I'm using the LT as an effects only device.  The tone is coming from the head.

Previously, I was using a Digitech 1101 single rack unit the same way...effects only.  When using the rack unit (4 cable method), I was able to crank up the volume on my head to about 6 and really get the tubes and amp to start working.  I'm able to control the volume output level with the volume control on that unit.  So the amp is cranking according to the volume settings, but it's not screaming loud because I can control it from the rack device.  It sounds really good actually.

I wanted an all in one unit so I got the Helix LT.  I tried the same thing but it doesn't "Feel" or "Respond" the same.  Sound isn't as natural or as good as it was with the rack unit.  

I'm thinking there's gotta be a way to make it respond like the other unit because the LT is just far superior otherwise. 

Any suggestions? 

Your use of the of the word "attenuator" worries me. A real amp attenuator connects between SPEAKER OUTPUT and SPEAKER CABINET. It's a load box that absorbs power! The Helix is not a load box, and neither is the Digitech 1101.

IN 4CM, you can crank the amps PREAMP all you want.... 

But don't connect the SPEAKER OUTPUT to the Helix and try using the Helix as an actual attenuator. That will get expensive really fast! 

• Upvote 1

I guess it's not like an actual attenuator that connects to the speaker from the head.  But can you crank the volume (Not Pre-amp) input signal from the amp into the LT without causing any damage. and what are the settings that need to be configured to make it sound good?

To be honest... since the effects loop is a MOD added to the JCM800, I simply cannot provide any sort of "sure answer" to your question. 

It sounds to me like your LOOP is injected after the master volume control, which is very different from most loops which come before the master volume. 

Since I have no knowledge of the mod done to your amp, I can't make any safe recommendation. 

On 5/9/2022 at 9:06 AM, NevenT said:

I guess it's not like an actual attenuator that connects to the speaker from the head.  But can you crank the volume (Not Pre-amp) input signal from the amp into the LT without causing any damage. and what are the settings that need to be configured to make it sound good?

This should also apply to the Helix LT. Good luck!

The effects loop that was added to the JCM 800 functions exactly like the loop that is factory installed on my TSL.

I can crank master volume on the TSL and it works the same way...I can still control the volume coming out from the speaker using the volume on the Digitech.

So the effects loop isn't a factor with this scenario.

I guess I'll continue to tinker until I find the solution.  Just wondered if anyone has tried this like I'm trying.

Thank you all.

Have you tried it? If you properly connect 4CM, it won't hurt anything. 

At the most you will have to adjust the HELIX LOOPS I/O to the proper levels. 

4CM is no secret with the Helix... it's well documented and there are many video's about it. 

How your AMPs loop is designed is the only question. If it worked with the Digitech, there is no reason it won't work with the Helix. 

• Upvote 1