Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

USB 1/2 trim global settings has no effect? Controlling volume of backing tracks.

johnwnyc

I play along to YouTube videos from my MacBook, which is connected via USB to my Stomp XL.

I wear headphones that are connected to the Stomp XL. 

I always have to remember to set the volume control of the YT video to about 5%, lest I blow out my ears. 

I was under the impression from the manual that I could attenuate the volume from my laptop’s backing tracks with the global USB 1/2 trim setting. But changing the level there has no effect whatsoever. 

Am I misunderstanding the function of that USB 1/2 trim setting?

USB 1/2 are for output going from the Stomp TO your computer.  If you're listening from headphones connected to the Stomp you're successfully receiving the USB output and converting that output from digital to analog and into your headphones connected to the Stomp.  Your better off doing what most people do which is to adjust the output volume from the PC so it matches the output level of what you have dialed into the Stomp for output.

On 5/8/2022 at 9:45 AM, DunedinDragon said:

USB 1/2 are for output going from the Stomp TO your computer.

Hi,

Actually, just to clarify what the OP mentions above - the XL Manual page 56 - Global Settings > Ins/Outs states:

USB In 1/2 Trim - Sets the level of incoming audio from USB 1/2, which bypasses all HX Stomp XL processing. Normally, this should be left at 0.0dB.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

On 5/8/2022 at 2:52 AM, johnwnyc said:

I play along to YouTube videos from my MacBook, which is connected via USB to my Stomp XL.

I wear headphones that are connected to the Stomp XL. 

I always have to remember to set the volume control of the YT video to about 5%, lest I blow out my ears. 

I was under the impression from the manual that I could attenuate the volume from my laptop’s backing tracks with the global USB 1/2 trim setting. But changing the level there has no effect whatsoever. 

Am I misunderstanding the function of that USB 1/2 trim setting?

Hi,

The Trim option should function for the USB in from your Mac. I have my Helix floor permanently hooked up to my iMac via USB and the “Trim” feature works as expected. I’m not sure what is happening in your instance, and as I’m not in the studio until later today, I’m unable to check out the possible reasons. I will check ASAP, when I get in back there.

For the moment, in this situation, I would suggest that you reset your Globals from HX Edit using the last backup you made. Failing that you could try rebuilding your presets by holding down the Upper & Lower knobs while turning the power on.

EDIT:

I just read your post again, and you mentioned that you are monitoring using headphones. You should check the options for what is being routed to you cans. 

Edited by datacommando
Added comment

Perhaps I misunderstand, but I control the volume level of the computer-generated audio such as backing tracks using the computer’s volume controls, not the USB audio device. Have you tried adjusting the volume level on your Mac?

• Upvote 1

On 5/8/2022 at 2:52 AM, johnwnyc said:

But changing the level there has no effect whatsoever. 

Hi again,

Well I have just checked using my Helix floor, and the USB In 1/2 Trim works exactly as expected.

I guess you have checked that the knob which controls the USB Trim, works properly with all other options that to is designed to control and is not simply malfunctioning?

There are more/different routing options available on the floor model, but mine is set to:

USB In 1/2 Destination = Multi

USB In 1/2 Trim = 0.0dB

Volume Knob Controls = Multi

Headphones Monitor = Multi

Main Monitors are on the Helix XLR connectors and headphone on the Helix Phones socket.

Although, as noted by "silverhead" in the post above, generally I would simply lower the volume coming from the Music (iTunes) app, YouTube or whatever into the Helix. If I need everything to be louder, then I just lean across and turn the big knob marked "Volume". All monitoring and mixing of my Logic Pro audio and MIDI recording are output over USB using an Xtouch Universal Control Surface. Having used this setup almost daily since buying my Helix back in late 2015, I don't actually recall ever having recourse to use the USB Trim function, other than to test that it works.

Yes, the USB 1/2 Trim should be affecting the playback of USB 1/2 back from your computer. Not why it wouldn’t be. There could be a chance it’s playing back over USB 3/4, but that seems unlikely.

I haven’t changed any of the global settings. In fact, I just received the Stomp XL and have been using it for a day.

I updated the firmware to the latest and fired up some backing tracks. 

I’ll be using the Stomp XL primarily for headphone practice. 

I have:

Computer > USB > Stomp

Guitar > Stomp

Stomp > Headphones

About as simple as it gets. 

No matter what I do to the USB trim setting in global settings, Spotify, YouTube, etc comes in at a level that is much too hot. 

I’m using a stock “Jazz Rivet” preset and haven’t been futzing around with gain settings. Everything is at unity gain. Headphone volume knob is at about noon. 

It’s weird why it’s not working. 

Works "fine" on mine, if you consider "fine" having to turn the knob 57 times to get a noticeable effect.

Exaggeration of course, but it does take 3-4 full turns before I get a 3db reduction.

It's WAY less annoying to just use the volume slider on the app.

• Upvote 1

On 5/8/2022 at 6:25 PM, johnwnyc said:

I haven’t changed any of the global settings. In fact, I just received the Stomp XL and have been using it for a day.

I updated the firmware to the latest and fired up some backing tracks. 

It’s weird why it’s not working. 

Hi again,

A couple of clues here - you say that you “haven’t changed any of the global settings” and also, you “updated the firmware to the latest”. 

What you didn’t say was that you followed ALL the update installation instructions TO THE LETTER. If so,  then you will be aware it states.

Quote:

Anything else I should know?

Yes. We STRONGLY recommend performing a factory reset AFTER UPDATING your Helix/HX firmware to 3.15 and THEN RESTORING YOUR BACKUP. (Backing up is part of the update process). Here's how to perform a factory reset. IMPORTANT: MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A BACKUP FIRST, AS A FACTORY RESET WILL ERASE ALL YOUR WORK!

• Helix Floor/LT: While holding footswitches 9 & 10 (bottom row, 2 middle switches), turn on Helix Floor/LT
  • Helix Rack: While holding knobs 5 & 6 (2 furthest right knobs below the screen), turn on Helix Rack
  • HX Effects: While holding footswitches 6 & TAP (2 farthest right switches on the bottom row), turn on HX Effects
  • HX Stomp: While holding footswitches 2 & 3, turn on HX Stomp
  • HX Stomp XL: While holding footswitches C & D, turn on HX Stomp

End quote.

You may think that you haven’t modified the global settings, but the update will have reset the unit. That is the reason you have to make a backup, do a factory reset and then restore. 

First rule of Helix world is when stuff doesn’t do what you expect, or starts getting weird, then do a factory reset.

Also, if you “just received the Stomp XL and have been using it for a day”, and it is a genuine hardware fault the warranty will get you a brand new replacement box. Simple as that!

Having said all this, I really can’t understand why you want to mess with the USB Trim, simply use the computer volume. Seems like everyone else does.

On 5/9/2022 at 12:19 AM, johnwnyc said:

Thanks for that. Yes, when I applied the firmware update I did a full factory reset. 

O.K. Never come across this sort of issue before. I cannot think of any other options to try, and it would appear that others don’t have any solutions either. This is a user group and generally can fix minor problems via the hive mind.

If it doesn’t work as it should, or it is a hardware failure, you could have it replaced under warranty.

Note: Line 6 staff do not monitor these forums, therefore I suggest that you raise a ticket with Customer Support, or contact the supplier you bought it from regarding a replacement.