Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Effects Loop Issue ???

hilarius69

So... I buy new Catalyst 200 ! Woohoo !!!

I update C200 and everything appears to work perfectly... get some great sounds happening.

I go through the editor app and turn off the effects loop...( which I am not using at that moment )

and WHAMMO !!! - NO SOUND !!!

Why do I need the amps effects loop on for the speakers to output sound? 

So I read the manual a little bit and see the option to use the effects loop like a normal amp would...

I try to hook up HD500X to the effects send and returns and guess what no sound !!!

I turn on the effects loop...the sound outputs through the speakers, however the send and returns are dead and useless !!!

No effects loop !!!

I don't know if this is just with my unit but... If I can't resolve by tomorrow...she's going back to the store !!!

This is stupid... I thought YAMAHA and it's subsidiaries were like the world's best and every time I buy a new L6 amp,

something's wrong with it, or it get left behind in support.

I really wanted to like this amp...really I did!!!

First - I have the Catalyst 100. The ONLY difference is that the Catalyst 200 has two amps and two speakers.

Otherwise, the amps are identical.

I tried putting myself in your shoes.

Plugged my guitar straight into the INPUT. PHYSICAL MODE switch to the LEFT (FX Loop).

Everything works as expected.

Open the app. Settings>FX Loop switch OFF. Everything works as expected.

App Settings>FX Loop switch ON = NO SOUND.

BECAUSE THERE"S NOTHING IN THE FX LOOP!

If I patch the SEND to the RETURN, I get SOUND!

Did you mistype? Test it again.

4cm

I can't troubleshoot your HD500X configuration, as I dumped mine 6 years ago when I got my Helix.

However, the actual wiring should be the same.

Guitar>Multifx INPUT>MFX SEND>Catalyst INPUT>CATALYST SEND>MFX RETURN>MFX OUTPUT>CATALYST RETURN.

MODE SWITCH (on the back of the Catalyst) to the left = FX LOOP

APP SETTINGS>FX Loop = ON

This is the correct configuration for 4cm.

IIRC, the HD500X requires a Send/Return (FX Loop) Block in the signal chain just like my Helix.

If you flip the MODE switch to the RIGHT (Power Amp), that gives the result you described - physical FX Loop is out of the signal chain.

• Like 1

Cool man Thanks for the insight into the troubleshooting here...

I'm digging around here, trying a few things out...

I get the same results as you with a cable running through the send/return while the loop is set to ON position.

For some strange reason...not through my HD500X though...

Very strange... I can go "power amp" mode setup with the unit, 4CM seems ok too...but no straight effects loop style...

Thanks again... I'm working on it !!! lol

On 5/8/2022 at 3:28 PM, hilarius69 said:

but no straight effects loop style...

If by this you mean using the HD500 for FX only in the Cat's FX Loop, take the Cat Send to the HD Input and the HD Output to the Cat Return, MODE Switch set to FX Loop and app FX Loop Switch ON. Guitar to Cat INPUT.

EDIT: No FX Loop Block required on the HD.

• Thanks 1

Yessir you got it... I actually hit on to it a little bit when I discovered the HD's FX SEND wasn't lighting anything up in the loop...

I plugged into the 1/4" out mono side and instantly heard the effects.

Oh man !!! I swear another 17 and a half hours of tweaking and I think it'll work out !!! lol

The local music store here might owe you a debt of gratitude for me not throwing this amp back at them...

I definitely owe you my appreciation friend !!!

Hats off to you sir and Thanks for the insight.

• Like 1