HX Effects FX Loop Line Level vs Inst Level

MayPRS

I have a VOX AC30 amp and I use the FX Loop at - 4 db (it haves a switch to + 10 db) but I always used it in -4db (it was recommend for my G-System, the previous multi-effect I used).

Questions:

1. Should I use +10 db instead? What's your experience with Helix family on your amps regarding the FX Loop level?
  2. The Output Level for FX Loop (Send/Retrn1) set on "Inst" adds a bit of hiss. I changed to "Line" and the hiss disappeared while the tone seems to me remained intact. Is this related with the -4db/+10db level set up on the amp?

I use the HX Effects in 4 CM.

Many thanks for your advice.

On 5/9/2022 at 6:04 AM, MayPRS said:

I have a VOX AC30 amp and I use the FX Loop at - 4 db (it haves a switch to + 10 db) but I always used it in -4db

Are you sure about those numbers... normally the options would be -10db / +4db, not the other way around. Those are both line levels, one is "consumer grade" (-10) which is used by most home stereo's, CD players, etc... etc.., the other is "pro grade" (+4) is is what most pro music gear is set for.  

Should I use +10 db instead? What's your experience with Helix family on your amps regarding the FX Loop level?

If that is actually -10, no... don't use it. Stick with +4. 

The Output Level for FX Loop (Send/Retrn1) set on "Inst" adds a bit of hiss. I changed to "Line" and the hiss disappeared while the tone seems to me remained intact. Is this related with the -4db/+10db level set up on the amp?

Set the HX Effects LOOP to LINE, but turn down the SEND level in the loop block. The send it going to the front of your amp, and LINE is too hot for that.... I'd drop the send level at least 24db or you will hit that first tube far too hot. YMMV... 

Make sure you also set the OUTPUT of the HX to LINE level, since it is going to the AMPs "loop return" which is also line level. 

On 5/11/2022 at 2:19 PM, codamedia said:

Are you sure about those numbers... normally the options would be -10db / +4db, not the other way around. Those are both line levels, one is "consumer grade" (-10) which is used by most home stereo's, CD players, etc... etc.., the other is "pro grade" (+4) is is what most pro music gear is set for.  

Lol - yes I thought -10 db/+4db and wrote the other way around...

Set the HX Effects LOOP to LINE, but turn down the SEND level in the loop block. The send it going to the front of your amp, and LINE is too hot for that.... I'd drop the send level at least 24db or you will hit that first tube far too hot. YMMV... 

Make sure you also set the OUTPUT of the HX to LINE level, since it is going to the AMPs "loop return" which is also line level. 

Great advice! I will try it!

If that is actually -10, no... don't use it. Stick with +4. 

Thanks. I will.