Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Native vs Helix Hardware

paulienat

Hi guys, I'm new in the Line6 world. I'm trying Helix Native on my Mac and I'm pretty satisfied. I've used Fractal Axe for years and now I have a real amp into an Apollo OX, getting a more pure sound but also very limited in terms of sound shaping options. 

I work mainly in studio so I don't need a live-tour portable setup, so I was thinking if there are any differences in terms of algorithm and sound between the Native Software version and the Helix Rack for example, in order to save money, since having a dedicated machine in studio its not essential for me. 

Tks for feedback

The only discernable difference you might notice could be as a result of using a higher grade Audio Interface than that provided in the Helix Hardware.

In a studio context you'd likely also be using the Helix Hardware's SPDIF.

If used with the Helix Rack's Controller you'd also have the additional ergonomic advantages of controlling the Helix Rack. 

All the above, would be in addition to what you might be doing via Helix Native with your DAW.

On 5/10/2022 at 7:26 AM, paulienat said:

sound between the Native Software version and the Helix Rack for example

Nope - sonically they’re identical. I have both a Helix Floor unit and HX Native in use almost daily.

HX Native is the same software “brain” that runs in the hardware.

The only difference really is the things that are available in the hardware, eg: Send/Return, FX Loop, Looper are obviously not available in the plug-in.

There is a section in the HX Native Pilot’s Guide that explains the Hardware Compatibility Mode for when you import presets created on various HX hardware units.

https://line6.com/data/6/0a020a4179ea61fd2e9472da7/application/pdf/Helix Native 3.15 Pilot's Guide - English .pdf

Hope this helps/makes sense.

Not mentioned above is that using Native allows you to get around any processor limitations in the hardware - ie create larger more CPU intensive patches. Likely assumed you're aware of that.

On 5/11/2022 at 12:24 AM, waymda said:

Not mentioned above is that using Native allows you to get around any processor limitations in the hardware - ie create larger more CPU intensive patches. Likely assumed you're aware of that.

^^^THIS^^^

Also, you have the option to add as many instances of the HX Native plug-in as your computer system can handle at one time.

It can become a huge asset, even if you are not using any of the amps and simply using the effect available - some of which are interesting and unique, Euclidean Delay and Heliosphere for example.

On 5/12/2022 at 4:32 AM, soundog said:

Also worth a mention, be careful with the input level setting in Native. It's easy to overdrive the plugin. Use -8dB or -12dB on peaks, and make up for it at the output end.

no need to make this gain up. Peaks of -12dBFS or even lower are fine or even advisable..