Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

What Do You Use Your Jtv For?

I have my JTV on the way to be delivered on Tuesday. While I am waiting for it (I actually had one delivered last week that was defective). I am wondering what most of the JTV owners use them for. It seems like it gets its most use playing live but do you use it for recording as well? If yes, only demos or final tracks as well? The reason I ask this is because of 2 reasons:

1) I have a few low-end guitars (Squiers, Epiphone etc.), so this is my first big investment and I kept going back & forth between buying a Fender/Gibson or the JTV, before I pulled the trigger on the JTV. I am wondering if this guitar will help me in the recording process. I understand I'll have to play it and then compare it with my other guitars to see what sounds better but would like others opinions. 

2) My first JTV turned out to be defective. I have read several folks complaining of theirs going bad (or finding some technical issues) and at the end of the day, if a guitar comes with all the technology built into it some of that is bound to happen (atleast a lot more than a regular guitar where the electronics aren't as complicated and even if they break can be easily fixed)

So even though I have one on the way, it still makes me nervous about it's long term usage.

Thanks for everyone's opinions in advance!

• Upvote 1

I'm like you, dumped a bunch of mid range guitars for this one player.  So far it has met and exceeded all my expectations.  I have 2 minor complaints, the tremolo arm is loose in the socket and there is an annoying buzz at certain frquencies (hardware, not audible through the amp or recording) that I haven't tracked down.  Other than that I absolutely love it.  It is a whole extra layer being able to change guitars and tunings at the push of a button.

As a matter of fact I just put my collection up on eBay.  I am keeping one backup but the rest is going to recharge the account.  Might be a JTV 59 in the future here...

I use my 2 JTV's (59 & 69S) ALL the time for gigging and at home. I'm a weekender, but for over 40 years... I have other good guitars, my original Tele Deluxe from 1973, and a late 70's strat that I used for many years, plus a Variax 300, Epi Les Paul Classic (good guitar), and a cheapy Epi LP Special, I picked up for cheap at GC because it has P90's... I rarely consider selling off old guitars to finance new guitars... Did that once with a 67 Gretsch Country Gentleman and have been kicking myself ever since... I get attached to my axes, and while I'm currently playing the heck out of my JTV's (lately my 69S more than my 59 -- new guitar syndrome), I never discount pulling out my old ones again, and re-fall in love with 'em over again... I shy away from super high priced stuff like relic'd Fenders (stupid idea to me, to pay high price for a rusted, scabbed up guitar -- I like 'em shiny and new...), or some model associated with somebody famous... For me it's a good usable guitar, not something I'd be afraid to actually play for fear I might lessen it's value in some way.

I had bumps along the way with the 59, but they were ironed out, and I changed my 69S's pups out with noiseless single coils, so I'm not afraid of working on my guitars, either..

My 2 cents...

Dave

• Upvote 2

I had bumps along the way with the 59, but they were ironed out, and I changed my 69S's pups out with noiseless single coils, so I'm not afraid of working on my guitars, either..

My 2 cents...

Dave

LOL...and just the other day we were all advised to not so much as change the pickup covers, for fear of mucking up the works. So much for that.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I play at my church and have used my JTV-69 nearly every weekend since I have gotten it. It replicates my dano, and tele very well, and almost don't feel a need to keep them. Don't tell my wife that she will have me selling them immediately lol. I have only had a few things that I have found in the software that could be ironed out, but they were on custom models, and it could have been an issue with the settings I used to create a 12 string strat. I copied the 12 string rick settings on a strat configuration. This all to say I am very pleased with mine. I have recorded demo's of mine through my laptop using Rakarack software. The models sounded great through there. Though the recording didn't come out that great due to my laptop being junky. My playing was fairly bad I will admit. If you want to listen to the models it's here: 

https://soundcloud.com/josh-dempler/sets/jtv-69

You will love it. The neck is definitely a relative thing it is somewhat thicker than the usual neck I go for since I have small hands. I would probably compare it to a standard tele neck. I may be off  there, but it is comfortable. The big issue people have is bending down on the high E I think. I personally bend that string up, or up and down so slightly it doesn't go off. 

P.S. Congrats on getting one. I am parting with a guitar too to finance mine. It just hasn't sold yet.

• Upvote 1

I do a solo Beatles tribute, so I use mainly the acoustics 6 & 12 strings, occasionally the middle pickup rockabilly Gretsch and the Rick 12.  I also use the sitar for parts of Norwegian Wood.  The alternate tuning feature also comes in handy instead of a capo.

• Upvote 1

I just recently purchased my JTV59 about three weeks ago so we are still on our honeymoon.  I had been intrigued by them since they came out.   I didn't care for the older look, but when they released the JTVs I was impressed.

I was in a band, but we recently went on a permanent vacation, became too much on all of us traveling with families and real jobs.  So instead of leaving my cab and head and huge pedalboard laying around I decided it was time to try out a JTV.  I sold my head and cab and a couple pedals to fund it.  Much easier with the wifee, though she is really supportive.

Anyway, like Jdempler I play at my church and the ladies typically change the key of some of the song.  So my main reason at first was the alternate tunings and the virtual capo.  So nice to be able to play a song like I always play it now and just change the tuning.   I have played it the past two sundays and a worship night and I love the guitar.  Plus with the union with my HD500, and hopefully will get a DT on down the road, is very sweet.  And it is a beautiful guitar IMHO.  The Tobacco Sunburst is so nice.

I am a Les Paul guy;  just love their necks and how they feel.  I got a Strat a couple years back and while I liked it, I always went back to the LP.   The JTV59 plays very much like they do.  But now I can get different sounds and still have the same playability.    

I am really happy with the guitar, and when I first strummed the 12 string preset I grinned so wide.  It has given me a newness to playing with all the possibilities.  Still learning it, but I don't think you will regret the purchase.  

I use my JTV59 for looping with the POD HD500 plus a Boss RC-30 Loop Station in stereo. This gives me a plethora of choices at my fingertips along with alternate tunings and acoustic capabilities. Still taming this rig for use outside my studio however in terms of volume leveling and patch locations. Still, the possibilities are large.

I use my Variax exclusively. I'm an aspiring recording artist, but mainly just do jams in my room. 

I use it to record now. Haven't recorded anything with any other guitar since, it's just that good. It's all there. Then again, it's the only other electric guitar I have right now, the other being an SG, and honestly the SG patch I made sounds nicer than my actual SG. Pickups aren't bright and sound muddy on my SG compared to the Variax.

Alternate tunings make playing things amazingly great. I play in so many different tunings it's not even funny, but with a Variax I don't have to dread about that stuff.

It's the best sounding and best playing guitar I have right now. I use it with Guitar Rig 5 and it sounds fantastic.  Got a Joyo JA-2 practice amp coming in the mail and I can't wait to hear how it sounds like with it.

• Upvote 2

I use my '69 to play in the church band.  I originally had the variax 300 and podxt live.  Originally, I did a lot of rhythm stuff with acoustic sounds and some minor electric rhythm.  We now have an acoustic player, so I'm able to do electric lead a lot more.  It took me a while to get used to the small differences in the neck and differences in the sounds. 

I love the flexibility of being able to do alt tunings, drop down a step, or whatever i need to do with just a flip of a switch.  Still using my trusty old PodXt with it.

I use mine for gigs - JTV69 and HD500 plugged into a Behringer keyboard combo and have had no problems at all.

My main 'guitars' are a strat, les paul and 12 string, as well as acoustic, banjo and dobro depending on the song. When we play Kashmir I use DADGAD but otherwise standard tuning (except when we've played Kashmir and I forget to switch it back...lol)

I have both a JTV59 and a JTV89F.  I am currently a member of an 80s cover band and a original progressive band.  I use both guitars extensively live (The 59 for the 80s band and the 89F for the prog band).  The prog band (Elephants of Scotland) will be releasing our second Album "Execute and Breathe" tomorrow April 1st.  This album was recorded exclusively with the 89F.  Our first Album "Homeaway from Home" was recorded exclusively with the 59.  I run via VDI into an HD500X for the prog band and will switch between 7 different gtr emulations, 2 detunes, 4 amps and a bazillion effects.

The 80s band I run wireless and switch between 3-4 guitar emulations (Mainly Les Paul, Fender and acoustic).  I also had a one man show which I used a VAX700 and VAC700 and multiple detunes. 

I have a JTV59P (along with a HD500 and DT-25). I use it for both live shows and recording. It shines in both areas. It has been a great investment. I bring a backup guitar for gigs in case of a string break, but have found the 59 to be the only guitar I use now.