Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Simple or hard to swap the usb connector on hx stomp?

ossianott

Hello, I managed to break the middle plastic piece on the usb connector after many connect/disconnects. I have not opened the hx stomp to check whether it's easy to reach the connector top/bottom and possibly change it myself. Has anybody done this and is it diy manageable? I have a bit of soldering experience.

As of now I succeeded to glue it back in place, but I fear it might break sooner or later again.

Would this be the correct replacement piece? https://www.electrokit.com/en/product/usb-b-female-pcb-90deg/

Thanks!

Is it working with your glue fix? If so you might be able to repair it yourself if you're comfortable with this sort of thing, and if you're willing to void any warranty still remaining on the device. I'm not so can't say whether the part you point to will work or whether it's 'simple or hard'.

But beware - I know that this happened occasionally on POD HDxxxx devices and the repair often involved replacing a pcb board that was damaged during the incident. So it may not be as simple as replacing the port itself. My advice? Open a support ticket.

• Thanks 1

On 5/16/2022 at 4:08 PM, silverhead said:

Is it working with your glue fix? If so you might be able to repair it yourself if you're comfortable with this sort of thing, and if you're willing to void any warranty still remaining on the device. I'm not so can't say whether the part you point to will work or whether it's 'simple or hard'.

But beware - I know that this happened occasionally on POD HDxxxx devices and the repair often involved replacing a pcb board that was damaged during the incident. So it may not be as simple as replacing the port itself. My advice? Open a support ticket.

Thanks for your response! Yes it's working with the glue fix, doing backups everytime I disconnect it now as I never know if it will break off again. I also didn't realise it was broken of and tried to insert the usb connector and dented one of the four pins so it's not perfectly aligned and might dent again, but so far it has connection. It's also a little rough to connect after the incident.

I'm not fully up to date how the warranty thing works, I think the device is about 3-4 years old so my guess it's already out of warranty. 

I have a hard time believing the PCB board is damaged, or so you mean damaged while trying to solder it out/solder a new one in? It didn't fall or something, just me being hardhanded and clumsy.

My thought was to get the replacement piece, and maybe try it out myself if/when it breaks again and if I get some encouraging words from the forum it might be possible to diy.

The fact that it’s still working probably means the pcb board was not damaged. Any damage usually occurs during the incident (electrical malfunction), not during the repair.

You’re right about warranty being expired.