Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Any official response on Pod Go Impedance issue?

ibalashov

On 12/13/2022 at 11:48 AM, adauria said:

I was not aware of this and it was the nature of my question above. Do you know if it's possible (other than testing with a buffer, since I don't trust my ears entirely) if this has been fixed in a given unit? I just got mine a month ago from Sweetwater, but if there's an easy test or serial number cutoff, etc. I'd love to know. 

I  mean, I can and should test with a buffered pedal, but regardless of the unit's status I fully expect that it will sound brighter just due to the nature of buffer. Brighter or louder may sound better in direct comparisons but might not really be fair or a good way to compare. I'm really just curious if my unit would improve with a "fix" or not give nthat it seems to be new production. 

Thank you!

The buffer should be pretty transparent; should not add brightness.  So your test could be simply to have a empty pod go patch (no amp, cab or any block) then output to amp, then plug your guitar direct to amp, and see if you hear a difference.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/16/2022 at 2:14 PM, adauria said:

Less than a month ago (11/18) from Sweetwater, who I assume does a pretty good turnover of inventory. 

-Andrew

In theory your Pod Go is likely to have been modified at the factory.  If you have a Line 6 service centre near you they can check to see. 

On 12/16/2022 at 11:52 AM, voxman55 said:

In theory your Pod Go is likely to have been modified at the factory.  If you have a Line 6 service centre near you they can check to see. 

One would think/hope, but who knows... No where near a service center, unfortunately. 

Line 6 knows that if knowledge of this defect becomes wide-spread some lawyer will whip up a class action lawsuit which will cost them millions of dollars.

Think that wouldn't happen over a falsely advertised input impedance? Sole just got nailed for $3.6M for advertising their treadmills with incorrect horsepower rating. Considering the impedance problem was created by putting a 1nF shunt capacitor in the analog input, it would be impossible for Line 6 to argue the advertised 1Mohm was somehow an honest mistake.

On 12/24/2022 at 10:29 AM, poodad said:

Line 6 knows that if knowledge of this defect becomes wide-spread some lawyer will whip up a class action lawsuit which will cost them millions of dollars.

Think that wouldn't happen over a falsely advertised input impedance? Sole just got nailed for $3.6M for advertising their treadmills with incorrect horsepower rating. Considering the impedance problem was created by putting a 1nF shunt capacitor in the analog input, it would be impossible for Line 6 to argue the advertised 1Mohm was somehow an honest mistake.

Every class action lawsuit needs a first claimant. Seems you’re very confident about the outcome. Why don’t you start the ball rolling? For a few hundred dollars you could probably hire a lawyer to file the first claim. Seems like a good investment. As you say, you could end up with millions!

On 12/24/2022 at 10:42 AM, silverhead said:

Every class action lawsuit needs a first claimant. Seems you’re very confident about the outcome. Why don’t you start the ball rolling? For a few hundred dollars you could probably hire a lawyer to file the first claim. Seems like a good investment. As you say, you could end up with millions!

Especially damages for pain and suffering...  It's not just the guitarists who has suffered, it's all of their audiences, as they were unknowingly exposed to this guitar tone which obviously was not appropriate.  Think of the children.

Heh but yeah seriously likely is an issue with recalls, false advertising and whatnot.  Not sure many PGO users to benefit from the lawsuit, as always, the only real winners of the story would be the lawyers.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/13/2022 at 4:48 PM, adauria said:

I was not aware of this and it was the nature of my question above. Do you know if it's possible (other than testing with a buffer, since I don't trust my ears entirely) if this has been fixed in a given unit? I just got mine a month ago from Sweetwater, but if there's an easy test or serial number cutoff, etc. I'd love to know. 

I  mean, I can and should test with a buffered pedal, but regardless of the unit's status I fully expect that it will sound brighter just due to the nature of buffer. Brighter or louder may sound better in direct comparisons but might not really be fair or a good way to compare. I'm really just curious if my unit would improve with a "fix" or not give nthat it seems to be new production. 

Thank you!

It's a valid question but as far as I'm aware other than having a Line 6 service centre check it for you I don't think there's any way of really knowing.  It's possible the serial number might help here & you could try asking the question of Line 6 Support, but I honestly don't know if they would have access to production lists and even if they did, how reliable these might be. 

On 1/4/2023 at 11:17 AM, voxman55 said:

It's a valid question but as far as I'm aware other than having a Line 6 service centre check it for you I don't think there's any way of really knowing.  It's possible the serial number might help here & you could try asking the question of Line 6 Support, but I honestly don't know if they would have access to production lists and even if they did, how reliable these might be. 

Thanks. It can't hurt to reach out to support, I suppose! Much appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought my first PGo in September, discovered the issues (via forums, but did test it myself) as I was switching back and forth between a wireless device and a guitar cable (my PGo is NOT the wireless model) the HF rolloff was noticeable.  I notified L6 in late December, they issued a ticket, sent it in (they paid for it), they returned it in about 2 weeks or so with the issue corrected.  I bought a second one on sale in December and am about to send it back to get fixed.  A little bit of a pain, but definately worth the effort.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I am also having this issue. Having owned the Pod Go for just over a year, I always struggled a bit with finding "good tone". I had better luck with high gain then I did with clean sounds (where this issue presents in a more obvious way, at least to me). After reading about this, I disconnected the pod go and connected straight to amp and my clean tone sounded fantastic. I then ran multiple tests with 2 cable and 4 cable methods, and the pod go consistently affects the tone in a way that sounds like "throwing a blanket over my amp". I love the interface, effects modeling and the accompanying software to edit patches. I am hopeful to get a repair or replacement of this pod go that functions correctly without "tone suck". 

Cheers,

Jeremy

On 3/15/2023 at 9:17 AM, jclore said:

I am also having this issue. Having owned the Pod Go for just over a year, I always struggled a bit with finding "good tone". I had better luck with high gain then I did with clean sounds (where this issue presents in a more obvious way, at least to me). After reading about this, I disconnected the pod go and connected straight to amp and my clean tone sounded fantastic. I then ran multiple tests with 2 cable and 4 cable methods, and the pod go consistently affects the tone in a way that sounds like "throwing a blanket over my amp". I love the interface, effects modeling and the accompanying software to edit patches. I am hopeful to get a repair or replacement of this pod go that functions correctly without "tone suck". 

Cheers,

Jeremy

As said here, simply raise a Line 6 support ticket and Line 6 will arrange the fix for you which is just the removal of a capacitor. They turned around mine ( uk) in 5 days. 

• Like 1

On 3/16/2023 at 9:37 AM, voxman55 said:

As said here, simply raise a Line 6 support ticket and Line 6 will arrange the fix for you which is just the removal of a capacitor. They turned around mine ( uk) in 5 days. 

I actually forgot to mention in that post that I did indeed create a support ticket. The support team was quite responsive and has indicated that they will resolve this issue (likely via capacitor removal method mentioned here). This thread is quite helpful! 

• Like 2

I received my Pod Go wireless yesterday.

I had to upgrade the firmware to the latest, so not sure if its an indication its old stock, plugged in cable, seemed to be missing some higher frequency on a chorus preset then plugged in wireless and wow, my strat started to chime on the same preset. My Purple  rain now has its sparkle

Its now with the service centre

• Like 1

Just as an update to my post above, in case anyone comes by this thread whilst Google ng for an answer.

Received my podgo wireless back today and its night and day difference in tone

All the high frequencies are available  using the cable  so now the same as wireless.

A mate has the podgo without the wireless and it lacks the high frequencies. He uses a 3rd party wireless adapter into the guitar in plug, so in his case it is no different to cable still giving the lower impedance.

I would strongly recommend opening a support ticket and then sending it to the approved centre for repair.

They organise UPS transport to and from and mine was received at the centre last Friday, I got it back today Tuesday..Fantastic

Thanks to @voxman55 for his earlier heads up posts

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 5/30/2022 at 4:01 PM, OmegaSlayer said:

As the process derives from the ticket I filed here on support, Line6 knows who my tech is

I hadn't realized until I went to the lab (which lately changed address and name) but I have known him for 29 years, and I don't want to put him in troubles

My unit hasn't been replaced, it had the same scratches and it wasn't restored to default, my presets are all there

I repeat myself, 7 minutes clocked, I phoned my girlfriend when I left the lab, then after 7 minutes I got his call to go take the device back

That's how I know it has been 7 minutes, from the phone calls tab

7 minutes for me is: unscrew the device > unsolder part > solder back the part > reassemble the device > try the device

The problem is not "impedance" as a whole...but part of it

And yes, L6 should come forward with the acknowledgment of the problem as it seems so very easyto solve

@voxman55

"Line 6 should be upfront with its customers and shouldn't have anything to hide. "

"Circuitboard copyrights" was the reply I was given

Hello @OmegaSlayer
Could you please provide me the name or contact number of the Service Centre where you took your Pod Go ?
I have recently taken my Pod go to the service centre in India but they seem not knowing how to fix any issue and are not getting any response from Line 6 as well.
They told if they can talk to any other service centre who have already fixed this they will be able to collect info and work on that. Hence asking for this detail.

Anyone who has got their Pod go input impedance issue fixed could provide their service centre info.
Any help is highly appreciated.

• 5 months later...

I bought my PGW on October 27th, and am experiencing the same impedance issue. I thought the impedance was just from folks being "too picky", but it is very apparent.

I thought it might have been fixed in the newer production pedals and rolled the dice and got snake eyes. I just submitted my ticket. Other than that, the pedal is great and I had no issues upgrading to the new firmware.

I did an A/B test with the same patch in Helix Native vs POD Go in the same room with the same speakers, there is indeed a high-end drop off and lack of clarity.

Line 6 service centre replied almost instantly to my email asking for relevant info, sent me a UPS label and I dropped it off at my local UPS locker all within 30 mins.

Great customer service and hopefully it's fixed when it's back! 

Other than the high end issue the preset sounded exactly the same in HX Native as POD Go

• Upvote 1

I also had my POD Go repaired recently to fix this issue. In Canada the procedure is to drop the unit off at any Long & McQuade retail store. They handle the shipping to the nearest Yamaha repair centre (the authorized Line 6 Canadian repair centres) for repair. It is then returned to the L&M store for pickup. I had mine back in less than two weeks and the fix/improvement was instantly noticeable. No charge, fixed under lifetime warranty for this issue

• Upvote 1