Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Something better than LFS2 from Line6?

davetherrien

I recently purchased the Catalyst 60W amp and the LFS2 footswitch. While it's good with switching between two amp sounds, there is no way to use it to change banks. I know I could get a more expensive MIDI controller foot pedal or use the ipad App, ForScore, to select one of the 12 preset Bank#-A/B settings (I've done this), but I'd like to see a new footswitch that provides at least the ability to change Banks as well as the current features of the LFS2. Is that something that is in the works? 

That would require a hardware change so, until there's a v2 of the Catalyst I don't think it'll happen and when/if it does, it'll probably be on the 100/200 models.

For now, MIDI is the way to go, but not so easy for you I'm afraid.

The Cat60 does not support MIDI except over USB, so you'd need a HOST device (I think there's a way to do it with iPhone/iPad) as well as the MIDI switcher.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

See this thread;

And the good news (if you own or want to buy an Xsonic Airstep Multi) is that they are currently working on a firmware that will allow the pedal to control all of the Catalyst MIDI functions by USB MIDI. And you won't need a laptop / host etc; the pedal will be the host. It is a standalone unit, that will resemble in form and function something like the Roland GA-FC footswitch. Why Line 6 had to make to so difficult to access simple functions like changing Bank on the Catalyst amps is totally beyond me, I'd love a comment from someone at Line 6 about this...

Catalyst 60                                                            $300   26lbs  17.5x20x10

Airstep Multi 4 FS                                                 $260

Airstep Lite +4FS                                                 $180

$740

Catalyst 100                                                         $400    32lbs  19x22x10

MeloAudio MIDI Commander   8FS              $150

$550

To switch Banks without MIDI - Hold MANUAL button, turn dial.

Android or iPhone+cable(6.6ft <>$13)+app - touchscreen control of everything.

Just sayin'.....

Yup, that works too. But now do it while using both hands to play your guitar…

Cost wasn’t a factor for me as I own the Airstep already - and I can use the Airstep with all of my other gear too, including my Yamaha THR 2 which it can control via Bluetooth MIDI, without needing the app to be open at the same time (which other BT foot controllers do need to control the THR)

Plus, another thing that frustrates me about using the amp model button to change patches is the  white light that tells you what amp model you’re on is a) too dim, and b) bleeds through to the models either side so it’s hard to tell which amp you’ve selected sometimes. 

On 5/28/2022 at 7:57 AM, littlespaceman said:

Yup, that works too. But now do it while using both hands to play your guitar…

Cost wasn’t a factor for me as I own the Airstep already - and I can use the Airstep with all of my other gear too, including my Yamaha THR 2 which it can control via Bluetooth MIDI, without needing the app to be open at the same time (which other BT foot controllers do need to control the THR)

People performed with two channel amps using a two button FS to switch channels and engage (very limited) FX for DECADES, and still do.

You have a device which does the same thing AND provides SIX of those amps (and MANY more FX) in one unit for a fraction of what traditional two channel amps cost, and you're stressed about having to push a button to switch to a different amp? 

I agree about the light on the amp dial, I'd have liked it brighter.

It’s a manageable problem for sure. My bigger issue - if I understand it correctly - is about the implementation of the Fx Loop. I’ve posted separately about it in another thread, so I’m not going to go in to too much detail here, But from what I can see the FX loop is placed before the built-in effects such as delay, meaning that if you use a looper in the FX Loop, which is all I use it for, whatever effects you then turn on in the amp also affects the loop you’ve recorded (delay being an example of an effect  that has a really negative result on a loop)

Please take a look at my post and answer there if you have a view on this. It’s becoming a deal-breaker for me and the amp will go back unless there’s a work around - it seems to be a major design flaw to me…

My KIA won't do 200mph.

Seems like a major design flaw to me.

KIA disagrees. They CLAIM it does EXACTLY what it was DESIGNED to do.

It sounds like what you want to do is to have the Looper in the FX Loop, but after the initial input from which the Loop was created, have the Loop playback completely isolated from the signal path but playing back through the power amp?

You're correct. that won't work. It's not a "major design flaw", the amp just wasn't designed for your application.

You can make some of the people happy some of the time.....

Return the amp and buy something that claims UP FRONT to do EXACTLY what YOU need it to do.

I thought that all amps with onboard effects had their FX loops placed in the chain so that anything you place in the FX loop isn’t then affected by the onboard effects? That’s my experience with other modelling amps anyway. 

So in concept I don’t see that your Kia analogy is a fair one; however I do agree that the Cat should go back. Seems to defeat the object for Line 6, though, doesn’t it? To release an amp to take on head-to-head one of the best selling amps of all time (the Katana) but the end product is an amp that fundamentally doesn’t work with what is currently the one of the most popular things to place in the FX Loop (ie a looper) and therefore it’s an amp that won’t work for a lot of people. So I would argue it is a design flaw, given the concept of the amp (as indicated by the name ‘Cat/Kat’, price point etc) is to appeal to as many people as possible.

On 5/29/2022 at 12:07 PM, littlespaceman said:

I thought that all amps with onboard effects had their FX loops placed in the chain so that anything you place in the FX loop isn’t then affected by the onboard effects? That’s my experience with other modelling amps anyway. 

Wrong.

On 5/29/2022 at 12:07 PM, littlespaceman said:

So in concept I don’t see that your Kia analogy is a fair one; however I do agree that the Cat should go back. Seems to defeat the object for Line 6, though, doesn’t it? To release an amp to take on head-to-head one of the best selling amps of all time (the Katana) but the end product is an amp that fundamentally doesn’t work with what is currently the one of the most popular things to place in the FX Loop (ie a looper) and therefore it’s an amp that won’t work for a lot of people. So I would argue it is a design flaw, given the concept of the amp (as indicated by the name ‘Cat/Kat’, price point etc) is to appeal to as many people as possible.

Your assumptions are, again, incorrect. Catalyst was NOT released to compete with Katana which is, after all, just another recent attempt to better Line6 amps released almost 30 years ago (AxSys - 1996). Line6 famously doesn't give a rat's patootie what the other guys do. The Catalyst was released as it's own thing. Because it wasn't designed to do what YOU want it to do does not constitute either a design flaw or a marketing fail on the part of L6.