Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

To those who have Guitar Rig 5 - please HELP!

sabretooth24

I've spent the last few months trying and failing to create the tone from Guitar Amps - Hot Solo - Thrash Solo +

I've tried almost every setup and I can never get that sweet spot of great brightest and creamy low end chug. If any of you are familiar with this sound/preset you will know what I mean. What blows my mind is that Guitar Rig 5 is so dated but this amazing tone cannot be replicated on the Helix? Can anyone give me any tips or hints?

I gave it a shot, but I really suck at tone matching, especially metal because while I enjoy playing heavy sounding presets, I'm really not into metal. I get something good sounding and get lost jamming, then an hour later compare it to the base tone and it's not even close.

I stopped using GR5 years ago because while it has some fun and unique FX, the amp modeling just doesn't do it for me. I get what I like out of Helix easily.

It's interesting though that of the two presets you called out, one is super simple, the other is incredibly complicated, and they both have a certain something that I just can't figure out on Helix.

Anyhow, Good Luck, and if you ever do find a match, please come back to one of these threads and post the preset. If somebody figures it out I'd love to see how!

• Like 1

On 5/22/2022 at 2:52 AM, bFooz said:

Hi, I've gave it a shot, download a preset attached.

It's all about the post eq, including cabs which are also just a form of eq. If I had the same cabs/IRs, I would be able to make a match pretty much 95-100% and even using different amps and effects.

Thrash Solo +.hlx 10.47 kB · 2 downloads

That's about as close as I got, but it's still missing something in the bottom that contributes to the "chug" factor of the original.

OP calls it "creamy", I'd call it "thud". So descriptive :-) .

@sabretooth24- what do you think?

On 5/24/2022 at 6:06 AM, rd2rk said:

That's about as close as I got, but it's still missing something in the bottom that contributes to the "chug" factor of the original.

OP calls it "creamy", I'd call it "thud". So descriptive :-) .

@sabretooth24- what do you think?

Yes I definitely agree - this is very close but the original has this quality to it that just makes it sparkle - you can hear it when palm muting and letting a muted note "ring" - it just has this fullness to it which is so hard to replicate and makes the tone.

@bFooz - thanks for the preset, it is very close. I am trying different IRs (ownhammer heavy hitters) to see if I can bring it closer

@rd2rk - thanks for all the work in trying to replicate this!

On 5/24/2022 at 2:49 AM, sabretooth24 said:

I am trying different IRs (ownhammer heavy hitters) to see if I can bring it closer

Try to run the pink noise through them and compare them via analyser.

Or - if you want to find out whether the difference is in the amp or cab, try to run both through the same cab. Meaning enable amp on Helix and put GR after it with only the cab enabled.