Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Pedal recommendation for the impedance issue? Or no biggie for you?

grdGo33

So what would be some of recommendations to use as a workaround for the impedance issue?   Would you rather go for a compressor?  Boost or overdrive/distortion?  And what would be some recommendations in the budget, normal and fancy ranges?

Short thoughts; DSP wise boost/distortion/compressor seem to have similar costs, so not much gain to have there, and compressors can be used after your amp, so maybe boost/distortion makes more sense.  But, you'd have to find a boost/distortion that you really like, and that will either replace a Go block, or might work well with stacked Go blocks...

Or do you think it's not worth bothering since you don't feel it affects you much or you have found some workaround?

Spoiler

So basically; plugging a guitar directly in a Pod Go is not optimal.  Impedance issues;  see

https://line6.com/support/topic/57670-pod-go-tonesuck-through-my-tweed-amp/

https://line6.com/support/topic/63825-any-official-response-on-pod-go-impedance-issue/

https://line6.com/support/topic/63488-problemas-de-impedancia-en-pod-go/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ykezs1A7PBE

Short version, from my understanding, anything with 'true bypass' will not work as to resolve the issue, but pedals with a buffer, aka buffered pedals, will work as a workaround.   (Turning on a true bypass wouldn't work either correct?)

After some research, you can easily find true bypass pedals for 20-30 bucks but buffered pedals mostly start around 60, even a simple buffer pedal seems to start at 60.  Compressor pedals are more expensive and start around 110 for a BOSS, so if you want budget, distortion is likely your best bet as getting a buffer without a distortion is kinda silly if you can get a distortion pedal for the same price. 

So if you want to go budget route, your best bet might be a Boss SD-1 distortion pedal.  Classic tones, versatile, and from quick research, it's more transparent sounding than a screamer, and so stacks better with other pedals.  (still mid boost sound though)  All reviews I've seen have been quite positive.  It's a classic design and they're all over the place used.  It's the Stupor OD in Go, so you can play with it without having it...  There's one nearby on my used local market, 1/2 off, I might pick one up myself.

For more more expensive...  Honestly, I wouldn't bother.  You're buying the pedal as a buffer, and the Go has tons of distortion pedals and even amps, so getting a fancy pedal would be a waste imho.  What would you even be getting?  It would have to be something not in the Go's effects...  Horizon Devices Precision Drive is 220, so unless you're ALWAYS using the one in the Go, are you going to buy one to save DSP?  Friedman BD-OD is 200, but again you've got the real Friedman amp in the Go....   Maybe something like a BOSS OD-3, but that's twice the cost of the SD-1, but maybe the extra 60 might be warranted depending on how often you use it, though unlike SD-1, you'd be gaining a new effect.   (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w__tl6Wqt9M) 

It's annoying that sites don't let you filter true bypass vs buffer...  Anyway, BOSS I think is your best bet from what I could gather, really haven't found anything else.  Really seem the king of affordable buffered pedals; nothing buffered near the price point. 

And reading some comments on the above yt video, some do comment that the SD-1 is effectively a boost...  So yeah, $30-60 whether you buy used or new, getting a boost and PGO fix.  Probably a no-brainer for all PGO users without a current PGO impedance fix.

@grdGo33Behringer pedals are buffered and inexpensive.  An EQ700 or TO800 (I have both) only cost £20.  I've had mine years and these have been as reliable as any other pedals I have including Marshall & Boss.  The EQ700 is a clone of the Boss GE-7 and the TO800 is a TS808 tube-screamer clone that uses the original 4558 IC and MA150 distortion diodes as in the original Ibanez tube screamer TS808.   

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Another great option could be an 'original' $8000 klon Centaur for $99.99.  Where could you buy this you ask? 

https://www.stewmac.com/kits-and-projects/electronic-kits/pedals-and-mod-kits/stewmac-ghost-drive-pedal-kit/

Ok sure it's not really a klon centaur, and it's not even a pedal either it's a kit, and unless you're in the US it's not really $99.99 since you'll need to pay minimum 33% extra for shipping, and likely brokerage fees, and taxes....  But still, if you're in the US, own a soldering iron and know how to use it, to get a nearly identical sounding klon for 100 bucks, that's pretty crazy..   For $100, if I was in the US, I'd very likely jump on that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03AY9uUpfNg

Other than that...  I quite like the Heir Apparent in the Go (Analogman Prince of Tone), but with availability issues, with the buffer, as it appears to be a boutique online only pedal, ~$200 before shipping, taxes, duties, etc.,..........  Goes a bit into the bit stupid expensive imho.

Seems like I have a negative preconception about the cheap Behringer Overdrive, but pretty much all reviews are highly positive, so buffer-wise, definitely the best budget option.

• 1 month later...

I came across this issue quite by accident. I've been using a Joyo Roll Boost pedal for a simple volume boost when I need one, and I use it directly inputted and not in the effects loop. I noticed my guitar tone changed (and for the better) when it was plugged in, so I've been using it the last couple weeks. Come here and read all this, and now I know why. 

So, a simply Joyo Roll Boost works well as a cheap pedal if you want to add it to the list. 

On 7/13/2022 at 4:07 PM, Bahnzo said:

I came across this issue quite by accident. I've been using a Joyo Roll Boost pedal for a simple volume boost when I need one, and I use it directly inputted and not in the effects loop. I noticed my guitar tone changed (and for the better) when it was plugged in, so I've been using it the last couple weeks. Come here and read all this, and now I know why. 

So, a simply Joyo Roll Boost works well as a cheap pedal if you want to add it to the list. 

It appears to be a true bypass pedal though, so, does it only work when it's turned on?  BOSS and other buffered pedals work whether or not the pedal switch is on/off, so can be used on/off for the fix, but a true bypass pedal, if it works when on, likely doesn't work when the pedal is off...

For myself, I didn't buy anything new...   Using an old Akai Looper between the guitar and Go, and using a 2nd Amoon Nano Looper in the Go's FX loop...!  Bit weird to use 2 loopers, but the 1st one is used for PGO fix and for tweaking patches (play sample, repeat, tweak patch while sample plays), and the 2nd looper is used as a 'true' Looper;  FX loops configured at the end of the chain, so when playing I can record a sample using Patch 1 (clean) and then switch to Patch 2 (distort) and play over recording.  So lot more flexible.

First, I apologize for all of those who are sick of this topic. It's interesting to me. I have always felt that the Pod Go sounded a bit dark but I I'm relatively new to guitar and I have never dialed in a real amp so I just assumed it was me. There's so many variables, the pickups, the selected amp, the effects, EQ etc. I borrowed a cheap Mosky Pure Buffer (probably not the greatest) to try. I believe I can hear a difference but looking at the recorded curves in the a DAW plugin, I don't see a huge difference. Most of it is in the harmonics rather than the base string frequency. I was watching a Mission Engineering video "Can We Measure Tonesuck?" (linked below) regarding cables and I thought it would be interesting to do the same thing for this. I'm curious what other people's frequency curves looks like. The measurement criteria is the question. I just used the US Princeton with default settings and no effects but maybe it would have been better to turn off all blocks and just look at the dry guitar. That didn't occur to me at the time but Ben Vesco did it another unrelated video about delay. I am going to go back and do that when I have some more time. I had a Les Paul plugged in but a cheap Squire strat didn't look that different. I graphed it with the free Voxengo Span plug-in. You can set it to plot the max and you can add more than one in your DAW. It would be nice to see multiple curves overlaid but it can't do that. If anyone has ideas I would be interested in hearing them. 

https://www.voxengo.com/productversioncheck/span/?version=3.11

I think there are 3 options.

1. Enjoy Pod Go as is. For most users this is unlikely to be an issue. 

For those wanting more top end on cleans:

2. Use a buffered device in front of Pod Go. This might be e.g. a Boss pedal or a wireless system like the Line 6 G10 Relay, which is a buffered device. 

3. Arrange to have your Pod Go rectified by a Line 6 authorised service centre. If your Pod Go is under warranty, contact the retailer you bought it from, in the first instance. If the retailer isn't helpful, or if you are out of warranty, contact Line 6 support to make appropriate arrangements.

To be clear, this is a design issue and accordingly it is not a warranty issue, which is why Line 6 has made no public comment to address this. They and the Line 6 authorised service centres are fully aware of the input impedance issue, and it is straightforward and quick to remedy. The service centres are not allowed to share details but various sources seem to concur that this involves (not necessarily solely) a capacitor removal or capacitor change. 

I had mine done a few weeks ago by the UK Line 6 authorised service centre who arranged collection from and return to my home, with a total turn around period of 5 days. The repair report said:

FYI the UK service centre put the following in its repair report:

"Fault info: Input impedance issue.
Action taken: We have identified a component issue in your unit that results in an audible roll off of high frequencies in certain scenarios. We can't get into component details because of the proprietary nature of our products".

So there you have it, evidence that it is a component issue. The service centre confirmed that the fault had been rectified; It now sounds similar with cables as it does via my buffered G10 Relay. Excellent customer service btw. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Thx for the info!  Somehow had missed that one.  (It wasn't nearly as cleared last time I checked).

I'm wondering if it's worth fixing...  Has the fix been made public yet?  If it's just replacing a cap or something...

And yeah I agree, the issue isn't dramatic.  Once you add EQ, an amp, an IR or cab/mic, reverb, distortion, etc., the more tone changing  you do, the less important the issue becomes.  BUT, that also means that the cleaner your tone, the more you are to notice the issues.  Think clean strat tone is worse.  Also, not 100% sure, but I think some guitars might be affected more than others, esp single coils vs humbuckers...

Don't think I'll send it in myself...  Putting in a pedal in front isn't a big deal, otherwise, for most of my patches I just likely wouldn't know the difference either way.  No L6 service in my city, 1 week isn't the end of the world, but could be more, could be issues, bleh!

On 7/14/2022 at 4:55 AM, grdGo33 said:

It appears to be a true bypass pedal though, so, does it only work when it's turned on?

It seems to work just plugged in. I use mostly clean tones, and it's a very noticeable difference on the high ends.

Has anyone from Canada had one repaired? I can't remember where I read it (maybe The Gear Page) but someone suggested that Yorkville Audio is the authorized service company here in Canada and you have to take it to your local Long & McQuade dealer. Long & McQuade has a relationship with Yorkville Audio. They seemed to have no idea what I was talking about when I called.

On 7/20/2022 at 4:09 PM, usedbyanr said:

Has anyone from Canada had one repaired? I can't remember where I read it (maybe The Gear Page) but someone suggested that Yorkville Audio is the authorized service company here in Canada and you have to take it to your local Long & McQuade dealer. Long & McQuade has a relationship with Yorkville Audio. They seemed to have no idea what I was talking about when I called.

I’m in Canada. I haven’t had one repaired but I can confirm that Yorkville is indeed the authorized Canadian Line 6 service company, and that L&M handles the reception and return of the equipment. Try calling the Yorkville Audio head office, or the largest L&M location you can think of.

If that fails open a support ticket with Line 6.

On 7/20/2022 at 2:33 PM, Bahnzo said:

It appears to be a true bypass pedal though, so, does it only work when it's turned on? 

It seems to work just plugged in. I use mostly clean tones, and it's a very noticeable difference on the high ends.

Are you sure?  Technically, it should not!   Is this your pedal? 

JOYO JF-38 Roll Boost Guitar Effect Pedal - True Bypass 

https://www.joyoaudio.com/product/76.html

https://pedalboardplanet.com/true-bypass/

Basically, all true bypass is, is when your pedal is in bypass mode the signal going through your pedal is not routing through any other circuitry in the pedal. It’s basically making a straight line from your input to your output. That’s it, post over. Not very complex at all. Off means off.

The signal reaching your amp through the pedals will be just the same as if you’d plugged your guitar directly into the amp.

So unless your guitar is not true bypass, it should not affect your tone in the Pod Go at all when the effect is turned off.  Specs from amazon say "Output Impedance: 1KΩ", so same as buffered pedals, so yeah when the effect is on, it would likely have an affect, but not when off.  :)

Anyway, interesting conclusions to draw:

1) power of placebo.  Never underestimate its power!!!

2) the PGO impedance issue isn't traumatic; if users can't notice if it's on/off,

Maybe some think they can hear the issue with their own Go, when in fact their Go doesn't have the issue lol

On 7/22/2022 at 8:15 PM, grdGo33 said:

Are you sure?  Technically, it should not!   Is this your pedal? 

JOYO JF-38 Roll Boost Guitar Effect Pedal - True Bypass 

https://www.joyoaudio.com/product/76.html

So unless your guitar is not true bypass, it should not affect your tone in the Pod Go at all when the effect is turned off.  Specs from amazon say "Output Impedance: 1KΩ", so same as buffered pedals, so yeah when the effect is on, it would likely have an affect, but not when off.  :)

Anyway, interesting conclusions to draw:

1) power of placebo.  Never underestimate its power!!!

2) the PGO impedance issue isn't traumatic; if users can't notice if it's on/off,

Maybe some think they can hear the issue with their own Go, when in fact their Go doesn't have the issue lol

If you connect a buffered pedal to Pod Go, it needs to be powered either by a battery or PSU, but the pedal does not need to be stomped 'on' to act as a buffer.

On 7/22/2022 at 5:45 PM, voxman55 said:

If you connect a buffered pedal to Pod Go, it needs to be powered either by a battery or PSU, but the pedal does not need to be stomped 'on' to act as a buffer.

Yeah, but apparently his pedal isn't buffered, it's a true bypass pedal!

On 7/22/2022 at 11:06 PM, grdGo33 said:

Yeah, but apparently his pedal isn't buffered, it's a true bypass pedal!

Ah, then it won't solve the impedance issue. The pedal has to be buffered. Pretty much any Boss or Behringer stomp pedal will do the job, or a buffered wireless unit like the Line 6 G10 Relay. 

On 7/22/2022 at 7:33 PM, voxman55 said:

Ah, then it won't solve the impedance issue. The pedal has to be buffered. Pretty much any Boss or Behringer stomp pedal will do the job, or a buffered wireless unit like the Line 6 G10 Relay. 

Are you sure?  I mean because it's true bypass, it won't when it's off, but when it's on, it's got the same impedance output as a BOSS (1 k ohm), so it should at least work when it's turned on no?