Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

I don't understand the Split A/B block. Help?

z3albw1rr

What I would like to do is make an "internal FX Loop" within a path in the HX Effects.

Let's say I put two delays in a "loop" with one set to a fixed time, and another set to a note value. Yes, I realize there are other ways to do this but bear with me.

So what I want to do is bypass the loop so neither Delay is making any sound, then turn on the one I'm about to use, then un-bypass the split so the Delay is now "online".

This way, one could, for example, have a few blocks that could be brought on and off line, where one might want to change those effects "silently" while the loop is bypassed, and have them on when the loop is re-engaged.

Logic tells me I should use the Split A/B for this.

But I can't figure out how to make the A path shut up while the B path is engaged.

You're driving down the road and you take a right, then a left, then stop at house, then continue, take a left, and take a right again and you're back on the main road. That's Path B. Path A would simply be driving straight through.

But when I select Path B it's like the car is split in two and follows both roads at the same time. I mean it is called a "split" block, but it seems like it's "Y" (both) or A AND B rather than A OR B.

Can I do A OR B? and just toggle between them?

On 5/24/2022 at 10:49 PM, z3albw1rr said:

But I can't figure out how to make the A path shut up while the B path is engaged.

Hi,

When you can’t figure it out, it’s time to consult the HX Effects 3.0 Owner’s Manual - Page 37 > Split A/B Settings

https://line6.com/data/6/0a020a411710a6112a67116f0b/application/pdf/HX Effects 3.0 Owner's Manual - Rev C - English .pdf

You could assign an Expression Pedal to sweep between Path A & B, or use a foot switch, or Snapshot to do the job.

Here’s a video showing how it works using a Helix, although the technique is the same for all HX products.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

Demo preset attached.

This demos several techniques.

SS1 is NO DELAYS - all you're getting is the direct signal thru Path A.

SS2 is just the TIME DELAY. 

SS3 is just the NOTE DELAY.

SS4 is BOTH DELAYS.

SS5 is the clean signal on Path A and BOTH delays on Path B set to 100% mix.

Notes: The "Route To" parameter of the A/B split, the MIX parameters of the delays, the A and B Levels in the MIX Block and the Output Level (Output Block) are all set to be controlled by Snapshots. The delays are set to their default MIX settings of 40% in SS1-4. In SS5 the Delay MIX parameters are at 100%.

All of those parameters can be tuned to your specific requirements, and any other delay parameters that you'd like to be controlled by snapshots can be added.

Also note the Output Level settings. when using both paths of a split the output level is 3db higher than when using only one path. Thus, SS1-4 are set 3db higher than SS5. It's called "pan law". Google it if you want to know more.

Finally, the distortion in Path A is there solely as a quick way for you to PROVE that there's no signal passing through Path A in SS2-4.

Keep in mind that this is purely a demo preset. Use any or all of these techniques as needed.

A_B Split.hlx

• Upvote 1

On 5/24/2022 at 6:08 PM, datacommando said:

Hi,

When you can’t figure it out, it’s time to consult the HX Effects 3.0 Owner’s Manual -

Thank you, I've read through that multiple times, and have seen some videos on it.

What it doesn't tell you, is that pretty much you HAVE to use the "return" and set up something to "toggle between" the two return paths.

Silly me thought it would be logical and the return would be "synced" to the switch (at least by default), such that when you choose to send on A, it's going to take the return from A, and when you send on B, it's going to take the return from B.

It was far more convoluted than that.

Also a bit counterintuitive is that it pretty much works if it's engaged and bypassed. The bypass state only really matters when you do Snapshot Bypass off, so it can remain on whichever path you're currently on when switching Snapshots (since the return doesn't have any kind of Snapshot Bypass On/Off).

I figured it out though.

PS thanks for the patch, but I have an HX Effects so it won't open on it. I appreciate the effort nonetheless.

On 5/25/2022 at 4:59 PM, z3albw1rr said:

PS thanks for the patch, but I have an HX Effects so it won't open on it. I appreciate the effort nonetheless.

Oops!

OK, here it is saved in HXFX format in Native.

SS4 is BOTH DELAYS.

Again, the FX in Path A are just there to prove that there's no signal from Path A when Path B is selected.

You may have to mod the I/O blocks, I don't actually have an HXFX to test it on.

HXFX AB.hlx

• Upvote 1

OMG - and DOH - I just figured it out.

What I realized finally that while yes, you have to assign something to change the A Level and B Level, doing that with a Delay in the loop cuts off the tails of the delay.

I didn't think for a while to make the SPLIT part move from "Even" to Path A or Path B.

When I did that, the problem was solved - I could toggle to Path B, and back to A, and when I did the tails carried over.

And there wasn't the volume discrepancy.

I thought it should work in an "or" fashion, but it wasn't clear that you had to assign the split or merge until your last message, but then I only thought about the merge - now that I've got the split everything's hunky dory. I'll download yours tomorrow and try it and see if it's the same solution I came up with.

It should have been way easier to figure out than this though....

On 5/25/2022 at 11:29 PM, rd2rk said:

Oops!

OK, here it is saved in HXFX format in Native.

SS4 is BOTH DELAYS.

Again, the FX in Path A are just there to prove that there's no signal from Path A when Path B is selected.

You may have to mod the I/O blocks, I don't actually have an HXFX to test it on.

HXFX AB.hlx 7.01 kB · 0 downloads

Actually I don't have it. I tried this and it works, but it's using Snapshots to do it.

I'm designating my SS for something else, so I can't use it this way - at least I don't think. I've made another post if you'd like to take a look at it:

On 5/26/2022 at 10:34 PM, z3albw1rr said:

Actually I don't have it. I tried this and it works, but it's using Snapshots to do it.

Assign the A/B value in the split block to a Footswitch instead of snapshots. 

Toggle between A & B with each press of the switch.

The SPLIT stays on at all times so it is not effected by any snapshots and you have full manual control of the A/B with the footswitch.  (a preset will still load with it's saved value)

This works as long as you don't need a THIRD value from the split block.