Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

External Fx & The Hd500x

RNRage

Just wondering how many of y'all are running external FX with your HD500(x).. And what kind of external FX you are running. Have been going back and forth weather or not to buy another decent multi-FX to put in the loop of my 500x.. Was thinking of either a Zoom g5, 11R, or RP1000.. Leaning slightly towards the Zoom or RP.. Leaning slightly towards the RP out of those 2.

I've put all sorts of Zoom pedals in my POD HD Pro's fx loop and loving this combination.

The G5 does NOT have an internal fx loop so you will only be able to do a mono send,

stereo return, which might be limiting to you as opposed to having full stereo send/return.

I find Zooms fx algorithms and choice more appealing than the HD Pro's, but then, I find

the amp sims on the HD Pro more appealing, so I combined the best of both worlds.

Personally, if money wasn't an issue, id be opting for the 11R out of all your choices.

I run a pedalboard in front of my HD500x. Signal chain:

HD500x<-DOD Chorus<-Nova Delay<-Rat<-Rook<-FullDrive 2<-CryBaby<-Polytune<-T1M Buffer<-guitar.

Why? Well I already had the pedalboard, and I find this offers me a lot of flexibility. I can create a patch and use all HD500x effects, or just an amp model with my other effects, or a combination. Best of both worlds to me.

I'm still quite the newbie, but I'll work both ways, depends on what I feel like doing.  I have the HD Desktop, and I like to use it through headphones a lot especially late at night or when my kids are around so I don't blow them out of the water with my amp.  I haven't used the desktop live yet, I still use my effects and amp, so I'll set up an amp in the POD and connect my effects board in front of the POD and just play like I normally would to practice or record.  Other times, I want to try out effects I don't own, or try other people's patches, so I'll just go straight into the POD.

I have been running my signal as such..... Guitar / Fulltone OCD /pod500 / L6link to DT50 2x12 / MXR 6 band Eq in DT fx loop. I have been getting stellar tones with this route. Have not even bothered to try the OCD in the pod fx loop. Main pedal folks that allows me to achieve any tone I want is the MXR EQ. Granted the OCD could make anything sound good still I could throw all external pedals away except the EQ pedal and would still be able to get the same tones. So may I suggest that the very first pedal any noob is looking to get to mix with the Pod500 make it an EQ pedal.