Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Split Block Woes again - I don't think it can be done, but let's see if you can solve it.

z3albw1rr

I've attached a preset. This is for an HX EFFECTS in case that makes a difference

Here's what I'm trying to do:

I'm in Stomp mode.

Using Command Center, I have set it up so that Snapshots 1-4 are controlled by Footswitches 2-3-5-6 - this puts them all in a square where Snapshots are in Snapshot mode, the order is just slightly different.

SS1, on FS6 is Chorus. Chorus Block is Engaged, other two Mods bypassed. Gain and Reverb pedals are on (and are on all 4 SS).

SS2, on FS3, is Flange. Flange engaged, other two mods bypassed, and so on.

SS3 is on FS2, and that's Phaser same way as the above.

SS4 is on FS5, and all three of the mods are now off, for a bypass that'll kill any mod.

_____

This is so I can switch from chorus to flange, or chorus to phaser, or phaser to flange, or any combination which will engage the single effect I want, and turn off the other effect. And the 4th is a bypass to turn whichever one is on, off.

____

Now, I want two delays - one 1/4 and one dotted 1/8.

FS 1 is to toggle between those two.

Now what I want to do, is be able to bypass or engage the delay, and be able to "silently" change from one to the other while bypassed, then step on the bypass switch to engage whichever one is selected.

____

But here's the issue: I thought I had figured out that Split Block.

But, it appears the Snapshot Bypass doesn't work on the Split Block.

What I want is, to turn on the delay with the mods bypassed, and then turn on the Chorus SS without having the Delay go off.

This will work with a regular bypass - like I could put each delay on FS 1 and 4, and just turn on the one I want, and the SS will keep whatever state it's currently in as I switch between them with "Snapshot Bypass" unchecked in HX Edit.

I've tried a number of ways to get this to work - one is by using FS4 to toggle between the A and B returns in the Merge circle. The other is to toggle between the A and B sends in the Split circle.

The power on switch on the Split Circle makes no sense to me. But it does seem to affect what I do.

So the problem has become, I can get this to work in a single Snapshot, and sometimes in a couple of Snapshots, but it won't work in all 4.

If you load this preset up now the light on FS4 should stay on as you move between SSs. But, the delay will be ON on SS1 and SS3 or some combiniation like that.

I have taken a working SS and copied it to the other 3, and reset everything. I've cleared and redone the assignments for FSs a number of times. I've started from scratch again. Nothing seems to work. It's like it halfway works, but this is as close as I can get (well, once I had only SS3 not working and the other 3 did).

I notice that when I switch to one of the SSs that don't work right, the B level goes up to 100. If I grab the slider in HX Edit and move it back to A, it'll stay for one go around but then when I come back it'll be back to B again.

I've checked all the SS and they all look the same, except for this going back to B.

I've gone on the pedal and changed the Min/Max values  - but that won't hold either.

____

All I want is a simple on/off - A/B loop.

I want to press FS4 and have it go thorough the B Path, which will go through either delay that's on, and press FS4 again and have it go through the A path (no delay).

And I want to be able to pick any of the 4 Snapshots and have the state of the loop as well as the delays remain the same - the delays will, but I can't seem to get the loop to do it.

My only conclusion is that Split Blocks don't respond to Snapshot Bypass off - but on the other hand it seems to work inconsistently.

But there's just as good a chance that I've missed something or am doing something wrong.

I'd love to know if you can do it though.

Mod_Delay.hlx

On 5/26/2022 at 9:30 PM, z3albw1rr said:

All I want is a simple on/off - A/B loop.

I want to press FS4 and have it go thorough the B Path, which will go through either delay that's on, and press FS4 again and have it go through the A path (no delay).

And I want to be able to pick any of the 4 Snapshots and have the state of the loop as well as the delays remain the same - the delays will, but I can't seem to get the loop to do it.

If you BYPASS the A/B Split, signal is routed to BOTH paths.

If you control the Bypass state of the split by saving the SS with the Split Block in the desired state you can still use a Stomp to BYPASS or activate the Split.

While you can control the BYPASS state of a block using Snapshots OR a Stomp OR both, you cannot control a PARAMETER of a block using both.

A PARAMETER of a block ("Route To" in this case) can be controlled with EITHER a Stomp OR a Snapshot, but not both.

This rule is consistent across Helix platforms.

You want to toggle the ROUTE TO parameter of the Split regardless of which Snapshot you're in while also controlling it per Snapshot, and that isn't going to work.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 5/27/2022 at 5:30 AM, z3albw1rr said:

But, it appears the Snapshot Bypass doesn't work on the Split Block.

Exactly.

I was trying to do something at least sort of similar on my Floor and eventually had to give up because of that lack.

Thing is, what you actually want (just as what I wanted) is the "embedded" parameters of the Split Block to be excluded from Snapshot Bypass, not the bypass state itself.

The solution would be to offer a Split Block that would, say, still route the entire signal through path A when bypassed and only do what the parameters say when active.

On 5/27/2022 at 12:42 AM, rd2rk said:

You want to toggle the ROUTE TO parameter of the Split regardless of which Snapshot you're in while also controlling it per Snapshot, and that isn't going to work.

Ok, that's what I was thinking. The first time I tried I was like, "oh, the snapshot bypass unchecked won't work because it only works on the bypass assign". So then I thought adding that in might help, but yeah, looks like the Route To has a mind of it's own in this example and I can't do what I want.

On 5/27/2022 at 3:10 AM, SaschaFranck said:

Thing is, what you actually want (just as what I wanted) is the "embedded" parameters of the Split Block to be excluded from Snapshot Bypass, not the bypass state itself.

The solution would be to offer a Split Block that would, say, still route the entire signal through path A when bypassed and only do what the parameters say when active.

Yes. I won't hold my breath for them to add it though.

I'll have to come up with a different solution.

Well, at least I know I defeated Line 6 once again ;-)

There is a lot to unpack in that opening post.... and so much margin of error in deciphering it :) 

@z3albw1rr... please confirm that I am following this correctly? 

1: You want the SPLIT block to respond to snapshots... which determine if you get modulation (path A), delay (path B), or both. 

2: You want FS4 to MUTE the delay section, and you want full control of this... independent of Snapshots.

I'm pretty sure I have a simple solution for this, but there is no sense in posting it until I know that's what you want. 

On 5/26/2022 at 10:30 PM, z3albw1rr said:

I notice that when I switch to one of the SSs that don't work right, the B level goes up to 100. If I grab the slider in HX Edit and move it back to A, it'll stay for one go around but then when I come back it'll be back to B again.

FYI... That is the designed behavior of Snapshots when they are set to DISCARD in global settings. The solution is to save your change immediately.... otherwise the second you change snapshots your change is instantly lost. 

On 5/31/2022 at 10:18 AM, codamedia said:

1: You want the SPLIT block to respond to snapshots... which determine if you get modulation (path A), delay (path B), or both. 

2: You want FS4 to MUTE the delay section, and you want full control of this... independent of Snapshots.

I'm pretty sure I have a simple solution for this, but there is no sense in posting it until I know that's what you want. 

Not quite I think.  What I think is I NEED the Split Block to respond to FS 4.

I want to use FS4 to turn Path B on and off - and when on have it go through Path B, but not path A, and when off have it go through Path A and not Path B.

What I need is FS4 not to change state when I move from one snapshot to the next. As if it was Snapshot Bypass unchecked.

Where I'm running into trouble is, while that works fine for a Pedal Block, it doesn't seem to behave the same way for a Split/Merge block.

I'm going to try an external footswitch to go between two delay times (using EXP2), and then that'll free up a FS on the HX and I can just turn the delay on and off as a "normal" pedal.

On 5/31/2022 at 10:18 AM, codamedia said:

FYI... That is the designed behavior of Snapshots when they are set to DISCARD in global settings. The solution is to save your change immediately.... otherwise the second you change snapshots your change is instantly lost. 

I was thinking that might have something to do with it. I wasn't sure if I should change it from Discard, but I also didn't realize saving the state immediately would make it stick.

On 6/1/2022 at 2:08 PM, z3albw1rr said:

I want to use FS4 to turn Path B on and off - and when on have it go through Path B, but not path A, and when off have it go through Path A and not Path B.

Don't toggle anything on/off with that switch... assign it to values instead. There are two options. 

1. Assign FS4 to toggle the SPLIT A/B value.... The block will always be on, but FS4 will decide where the signal goes... A or B. 

If you already control the Split A/B Value via snapshots, then try this 2nd option...

2. Set the two "returns levels" on the merge block to FS4.... Set the MIN/MAX settings for two returns ("A Level" & "B Level") opposite of each other. FS4 will toggle between those two states, and it will be independent of any snapshots you choose.

• Upvote 1