Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Hx Stomp and acoustic guitar

Guido_59

Hello I have bought an acoustic guitar after long time Epiphone EL-00 pro with has a Fishman Sonitone +sonicore , but I want change it with Seymou Duncan Mag Mic magnetic +condenser.

To create good preset for a good sound have you some suggest?

Don’ exist an acoustic amp, so what you use ?

Do you use acoustic ir like 3sigma?

thanks in advance?

On 5/29/2022 at 9:14 AM, Guido_59 said:

Whatever sounds good to me. I play an old Aria acoustic in open G, mostly with slide, via Seymour Duncan Woody single coil pickup, into a small 15W Squire transistor amp, sometimes into a Fender Blues DeLuxe (1994).

Usually a compressor and the parametric EQ will do the job on the HX Stomp, same as with my analog effects previously.

In fact, usually I also plug in my self-made stomp box plank – a bass drum substitute – using the HX Stomp as a 2-channel mixer. 

If I need it to sound more gritty without going into the "real life" amp, i.e. when recording or going directly into PA, I take something like the US Small Tweed block a.k.a. Fender Champ.

(As you may have guessed by now, what I play on the acoustic is probably quite close to the blues…)

On 5/29/2022 at 8:14 AM, Guido_59 said:

Hello I have bought an acoustic guitar after long time Epiphone EL-00 pro with has a Fishman Sonitone +sonicore , but I want change it with Seymou Duncan Mag Mic magnetic +condenser.

To create good preset for a good sound have you some suggest?

Do you use acoustic ir like 3sigma?

thanks in advance?

Hi Guido,

You might want to investigate using the Studio Tube Preamp (based on a Requisite Y7 mic preamp), also an EQ block. Then add a LA Studio Compressor, chorus, delay and dynamic reverb. That should give you a place to start. You can add an acoustic guitar IR if you wish - try it and see how this works for you.

I have used this setup for recording with my Fishman Rare Earth Blend equipped acoustic (one path for the pickup and the other for the mic), and another guitar with a K&K Pure (internal contact transducer) system. It is also the starting point for when I am only using condenser mics. You will need to mess around to get it how it suits you, and works with your instrument(s).

There are many Helix/HX owners using acoustic guitars and getting great results.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

• Upvote 1

On 5/31/2022 at 11:10 AM, Guido_59 said:

Seymour Duncan Mag mic.

Have you tried this pick-up?

I've seen it but it was above my budget. Whereas the Woody SC was exactly what I needed: simple, flexible, robust, great value for the price.

But I also have a Schertler Basik mic (discontinued) which can be put as a pickup onto virtually anything, even on a chair, a plank, you name it…

On 5/31/2022 at 12:11 PM, datacommando said:

You might want to investigate using the Studio Tube Preamp (based on a Requisite Y7 mic preamp)

In the beginning I was using it for a while, but eventually I found that its effect on the overall sound is negligible, and thus a waste of a valuable block in the Stomp path. Hence I rather use a regular tube guitar amp modeller because it gives me more sound options.

On 5/31/2022 at 8:32 PM, lou-kash said:

In the beginning I was using it for a while, but eventually I found that its effect on the overall sound is negligible, and thus a waste of a valuable block in the Stomp path. Hence I rather use a regular tube guitar amp modeller because it gives me more sound options.

Hi,

When it comes to this sort of thing everyone has to go with what works for them - as usual, where the Helix family of products is involved, there are no rules. Just go with the flow.

:-)

• Like 1

On 5/31/2022 at 3:11 AM, datacommando said:

<Snip>

You might want to investigate using the Studio Tube Preamp (based on a Requisite Y7 mic preamp), also an EQ block. Then add a LA Studio Compressor, chorus, delay and dynamic reverb. That should give you a place to start. You can add an acoustic guitar IR if you wish - try it and see how this works for you.<Snip>

Absolutely a great place to start!!

• Thanks 1