Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Signal routing for live sound (bass player)

calelitecoach

As I am always learning and trying to improve my live sound, I have decided to explore some new routing on my Helix. Just curious what you think. I want to run 2 signals in parallel. Sig A will be dry (no fx) and routed to the 1/4 output from the Helix to go to my head and 4x10 cab (my stage volume). Sig B will have some compression, light distortion, maybe a little EQ, and some reverb. I will route sig B to my XLR output from the Helix to go to FOH and stage monitors. In your opinion, is this worth a try? What are some issues in trying this method?

If you don't want the same PRE FX in both paths, add the first of your FOH FX and pull it down to create a Path 1B. Move the Split Block to first in the chain or pull it down so that both Paths 1A and 1B are set to Guitar Input. Route the Path 1B Output Block to Path 2A and create your FOH signal chain in Path 1B/2A. In this configuration the Output Block for Path 1A, the stage amp's signal chain, can be set to 1/4" and Volume Knob can be set to 1/4". This causes a consistent UNITY signal (0db) to be sent to FOH which, if your preset output levels are balanced, makes for a happy FOH guy (good thing!).

You'll want to set the 1/4" to INST if going to your amp's Input, Line if going to the Power amp Return.

Set XLR to MIC or LINE, whatever makes FOH happy.

Here's a demo preset.

calelitecoach.hlx

• Like 1

You're getting that message because you're not on v3.15.

Click the ? in the lower left corner, then ABOUT. That will show you BOTH the Helix version AND the HX Edit version.

• Like 1

On 5/30/2022 at 7:51 PM, calelitecoach said:

I don't know why only my Helix was updated to 3.15 and not HX edit.

It isn't automatic. The real question is - WHY NOT?!? IT'S 2022 not 1985!!!

• Like 1

On 5/30/2022 at 6:54 PM, calelitecoach said:

In your opinion, is this worth a try? What are some issues in trying this method?

It is not what I would do, but there's no wrong way to eat a Reese's

But, you did ask, so here is my thoughts: 

You have tone going to FOH. You have stage monitors so that you can hear that same tone on stage. 

I don't know what would be the point of having a completely different tone coming out of your amp on stage - plus, an amp on stage is more than likely going to mess with FOH. 

On 5/31/2022 at 4:36 AM, pianoguyy said:

I don't know what would be the point of having a completely different tone coming out of your amp on stage

This.

I'm using a similar setup when playing electric bass via HX Stomp.

Blocks: auto-wah > compressor > amp > phaser > Y split (path A to Main Out, path B to FX Send) > cab on path A / parametric EQ on path B

• Path A Main Out instrument level goes to FOH.
  • Path B FX Send line level goes to my stage amp power amp input. It's a Quantum QC415 combo which can be tilted like a wedge, so essentially I'm using it like an active wedge, without the Quantum's preamp recoloring the sound. The EQ in the path B is "just in case" if there would be any problems on stage with some frequencies clashing, but usually I keep it flat.

So the difference is primarily the cab: a modeler to FOH vs real cab on stage as a monitor. Works fine for me.

• Like 1

On 5/31/2022 at 9:07 AM, lou-kash said:

So the difference is primarily the cab: a modeler to FOH vs real cab on stage as a monitor. Works fine for me.

That all said, there's of course another reason for this setup, and that's backup. Either device can suddenly break, so in case of "emergency" I can either switch to the real amp and just plug the XLR into its DI output, or bypass my monitor amp completely play through the Stomp and hear the bass sound only through the standard stage wedges (been there done that, not great but on a club stage it will work OK).