Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Signal Chain Suggestion

evolz

Hello,

What is the most optimal signal chain for best results from the guitar into my daw where I use Native. I currently have a Clarret interface, radial direct box, and Hx stomp. What signal flow do you guys think would be best.

On 6/1/2022 at 5:55 AM, evolz said:

Hello,

What is the most optimal signal chain for best results from the guitar into my daw where I use Native. I currently have a Clarret interface, radial direct box, and Hx stomp. What signal flow do you guys think would be best.

Hi,

There are many ways you could approach this, but the most simple way to get your optimal guitar signal into your DAW, is to just use the HX Stomp. Take your processed stereo guitar signal into the DAW on USB 1&2, and simultaneously a DI of the dry unaffected audio into another channel recording from USB 3 (or 4). That way you can playback the direct injected sound while using the HX Native plug-in to re-amp as many time as you like. All this without having to tie up any other hardware. Easy, and painless. There is a whole section on using your Stomp as an audio interface in the HX Stomp 3.0 Owner’s Manual on pages 56-58. 

https://line6.com/data/6/0a020a418962611d636e7c51b/application/pdf/HX Stomp 3.0 Owner's Manual - Rev D - English .pdf

(also available in French, German and Japanese)

Now, you will probably be thinking, “why did I spend all this money on the Focusrite Clarett and a Direct Box?” Well the DI box is always a handy tool to have in the studio, or playing live, as a hum killer etc., but using the Stomp should negate it’s use unless you have a particular nasty power supply.

You didn’t mention which version of the Focusrite you have, be it the Octo, 4 or 2 or plus Pre model. Each do a particularly fine job of getting your sound into a computer studio. Many Helix users also have a Focusrite AI (I used a Saffire for many years) and you can take the audio out from the Stomp into the front of your Clarett and then into the DAW. This way would include another round of DA/AD conversion, but most people wouldn’t really notice. The downside of this method is that you would need to also utilise another Stomp output (Send) for the dry audio to feed the Clarett. 

These are a couple of options, and really only you can decide what is the best workflow for you. As I said earlier, I was a long time user of the Focusrite Saffire for the FireWire capability. When I changed my Mac FireWire was no longer supported, and since then for the past 6 years I have used my Helix floor on a daily basis for getting audio into Logic with the Native plug-in. It just works, but I’m a studio rat, therefore my needs could be completely different to yours.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

• Upvote 1

On 6/1/2022 at 6:47 AM, datacommando said:

…. Take your processed stereo guitar signal into the DAW on USB 1&2, and simultaneously a DI of the dry unaffected audio into another channel recording from USB 3 (or 4). ….

It might be simpler to just use the pre-configured USB 7 or 8 for the dry signal. This way you won’t need to create an additional path/output block in your preset to assign to USB3/4.

On 6/1/2022 at 2:25 PM, silverhead said:

It might be simpler to just use the pre-configured USB 7 or 8 for the dry signal. This way you won’t need to create an additional path/output block in your preset to assign to USB3/4.

Yep, that would be the way to do it with a full Helix, but the OP is using a HX Stomp, which uses 3&4 for unprocessed audio, and USB 5&6 are for re-amping back through the hardware. The OP will be using Native to re-amp and I would guess that makes those inputs redundant.

In the Owner’s Manual, Eric has been his usual cryptic self and noted that USB 7&8 are “The never-ending abyss (reserved for future use”. Not sure what he has planned for that - maybe it will be revealed in the monster v3.2 Firmware update.

;-)