Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Stomp/Effects DSP question

themetallikid

I know they are a single processor, but is that processor the same as one of the Helix Floor's?  So even with less blocks in that path the DSP would be the same?  

Debating about picking one up to sublet some of my blocks in presets that could be switched on/off and inserted into the chain via FX Send/Return.   

How is the hiss/noise floor between them?  I know when I had a pedal in the loop before it was quite noisy.  

My understanding is the processor in the Stomp is the same as the processor in the Helix. The Helix just has two of them. So theoretically if you can do it in 1 path on the Helix (it has two, one for each processor) it can be done on the Stomp. I do seem to remember some discrepancy in the amount of DSP in each even though it's the same chip.

I am updating my post. I found this. According to this the Helix is able to have 16 effects per path if there is enough DSP but the Stomp is only 8 on it's one path. The article does say the Helix can have 32 but that's because there are 2 proccesors. That makes 16 effects per processor. There is a link to a chart that shows this. It's under Simultanious Proccesing Blocks.

1) HX Stomp is based on same tech, code and software as the flagship models, rack and floor. It does just have 1/4 of the DSP power, less footswitches and less routing options. Max 8 blocks instead 32. Then 2 stereo path (serial or parallel) VS 4 stereo path (serial or parallel) for the full Helix.

2) Yes. You can create presets for your HX Stomp in two ways. Using its own editor (HX Edit), with the Stomp connected to the USB port. Or, using Native with an audio interface (which can be the HX Stomp itself), and then just exporting the preset. You just need to set the Native software to emulate HX Stomp hardware. Only limitation (which is valid for all HX devices) is that Native won't give your hardware related blocks, like send/return and looper. But as said before, you should use the HX Edit to just create full presets. 

The HX Stomp sounds perfect for your needs. Small footprint and plenty of power for "simple" chains. ;)

https://line6.com/documents/processor_comparison_chart/Line_6_Processor_Comparison_Chart.pdf

It may not be exactly the same chip, but it's the same amount of processing capability.  It might be a slightly newer version of the same chip, but it's still the same architecture and would process equivalently to the floor.  From what I understand, the noise/hiss is pretty manageable but I have no direct experience.

Ok, just thinking out side the box a bit on how to squeeze more goodness out of my black box.  Utilizing it mainly as a pre-amp section (Poly Shift, Wah, Comp, maybe an OD or two) depending on the preset could really free up some space in routing in a way.  Or even utilizing it for a cab/IR section.  

Not the best use probably, and maybe there are better/cheaper alternatives, but could also make a decent backup rig in a pinch with some stock presets too.   

Appreciate the info

Two "tricks" which you may already know are to use amp/cab combos instead of separate amps and cabs and using MONO instead of STEREO blocks. Also the Legacy Reverbs (all the Legacy FX for that matter) use less DSP if none of the Helix FX are small enough. Hope this helps but I think you know this stuff anyway.

On 6/3/2022 at 11:27 AM, brue58ski said:

Two "tricks" which you may already know are to use amp/cab combos instead of separate amps and cabs and using MONO instead of STEREO blocks. Also the Legacy Reverbs (all the Legacy FX for that matter) use less DSP if none of the Helix FX are small enough. Hope this helps but I think you know this stuff anyway.

I have to split the blocks (AMP & Cab/IR) usually because together they are too much for either my pre/post paths.  Usually I run the top as my Pre section with the amp being the last in line, Path 2 will usually start with an EQ for leads then the Cab and post effects.  I think your suggestion would work if I used basic presets overall, but I do a preset per song approach, and to keep my workflows similar and presets looking similar (for easy editing...I dont have to search for where the amp block is...I know where to look in my chain)...its just easier for me.  I dont really use stereo at all, other than a chorus occaisionally.....which.....

now that I'm thinking about it....

I use the 70's chorus (stereo) to split my signal between two amps.  If my paths merge post cab blocks, and there are mono blocks after (maybe a modulation, delay, Retro Reel).....is the stereo chorus doing anything that a mono version wouldnt be doing?  I get confused on how that all sums/splits/re-sums etc. 

I'm not sure about how Line 6 does it but choruses were one dry signal going to one channel and one modulated signal going to the other channel, left/right. That is the simple explanation. Since they are slightly different sounds it tends to sound wider, for lack of a better word. I don't think they are all hard panned left and right. I am thinking mostly about the Roland JC-120 amp. If you've never experienced hearing what the internal Chorus on a JC-120 amp does, if you get a chance to hear/play a JC-120 amp, check it out. Just go clean and flip the chorus on and off. You actually hear/feel the sound expand/get wider The '70's chorus unit is based on a Boss CE-1 which I understand to be the JC-120 amp's chorus circuit. If you have anything that is mono after any stereo effects, it essentially combines both L&R. What you lose going mono with a chorus is the "width" of the effect. The only chorus that is stereo only is the Trinity chorus. I think it actually has three signals that are panned left, center and right. So I guess just put the same mono chorus and stereo chorus on the same path and compare them. That would be the simplest way I think. Hope that answers your question.

• Like 1