Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix to Windows PC / Jam Origin Midi Guitar

Qu13tus

Greetings,

I figured out how to get midi guitar working along with a Roland Sound Canvas plugin for old school midi instruments. However, I can hear the guitar tone coming through with the midi instrument tone. How can I pass a signal from my Variax to the Midi Guitar program without any Helix sounds, essentially just using the Helix as a bridge between the guitar and the program? 

Also, I am looking for recommended tutorials on using the Helix to control software. It would be cool to be able to switch between a custom Helix tone to using a midi instrument and then back again. 

Thanks!

Quietus

On 6/6/2022 at 7:03 AM, wjoyce said:

Which DAW are you using, or are you using the standalone Jam Origin version?

Thank you for your reply.  I am currently using the stand alone app, though I will experiment with Waveform, Reaper, and maybe a couple of other.  I want to solidify my tones and get the JO:MG stand alone set up before I start digging into the DAWs. I have much to learn!

I setup a preset with a y split to either send through amp sim to 1/4"/XLR outs or when engaged directly to USB via a compressor, the sound is then returned via USB out through the Helix

image.thumb.png.b802c31ce19272db84cb94762f93928d.png

In Jam Origin, make sure you have the mix set to fully clockwise so it's just the synth sound with no guitar

image.thumb.png.62669e6e1823478d47b007557f267d80.png

I can then assign a footswitch to the y split and switch between guitar and synth by having the y split assigned to a switch in Stomp mode in the Helix patch

I have the Helix setup as a MIDI controller in Jam Origin's MIDI interface section

I can then setup footswitches in Helix Stomp mode to change the patches in Jam Origin and change the Helix Scribble strips to show what sound/patch they will recall

Jam origin is set to to scan my VST folder so has access to all plugins to save as patches for recall

If you have a DAW then you can just use Jam Origin as a VST plugin and assign the sounds via a DAW

If you have an iPhone, you can run Jam Origin straight to the phone and back via USB (with Apple Camera Connection kit) without a computer for live and jam sessions, great fun and totally minimal

Here's a link to a brilliant video for setting up with iPhone from a user on TGP

Hope this helps

• Upvote 1

On 6/12/2022 at 6:19 AM, gk001 said:

I setup a preset with a y split to either send through amp sim to 1/4"/XLR outs or when engaged directly to USB via a compressor, the sound is then returned via USB out through the Helix

image.thumb.png.b802c31ce19272db84cb94762f93928d.png

In Jam Origin, make sure you have the mix set to fully clockwise so it's just the synth sound with no guitar

image.thumb.png.62669e6e1823478d47b007557f267d80.png

I can then assign a footswitch to the y split and switch between guitar and synth by having the y split assigned to a switch in Stomp mode in the Helix patch

I have the Helix setup as a MIDI controller in Jam Origin's MIDI interface section

I can then setup footswitches in Helix Stomp mode to change the patches in Jam Origin and change the Helix Scribble strips to show what sound/patch they will recall

Jam origin is set to to scan my VST folder so has access to all plugins to save as patches for recall

If you have a DAW then you can just use Jam Origin as a VST plugin and assign the sounds via a DAW

If you have an iPhone, you can run Jam Origin straight to the phone and back via USB (with Apple Camera Connection kit) without a computer for live and jam sessions, great fun and totally minimal

Here's a link to a brilliant video for setting up with iPhone from a user on TGP

Hope this helps

Awesome, thank you! I will match up the settings form your screenshot and I will watch that video. I am using my main PC and am without an iphone, though I have a small laptop with a touch screen and windows 10 which I will use in a similar way so that I won't have to lug my main rig around, and I saw that I can get Heliox Native super cheap due to having registered my Helix. I am hoping to use the physical Helix with switches when jamming and recording, but use thej touch screen to switch between the synths and Helix sounds when jamming at other places.

I have a lot to learn. I have an easier time with physical manuals than I do with PDFs on a screen, so it is taking me longer to learn some things than it did with my Pod XT Live.