Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Patches with multiple options

s7nstringsofhell

When you have a PRESET that has multiple SNAPSHOTS, you can Rename the SNAPSHOTS. 

In HX Edit, right-click on the Snapshot, select Rename and have at it.

Don't forget to SAVE.

The procedure on the device itself varies with the device, which you didn't specify.

• Upvote 1

On 6/5/2022 at 10:09 PM, s7nstringsofhell said:

If you have a patch that has say 4 seperate pre sets( lead/clean etc" How can i have those presets show on the foot pedal when the patch is selected? 
say the top row is the patches and the bottom is the presets? 

On the Helix we have presets, snapshot mode, and stomp mode.  Presets can have multiple snapshots inside them (they are like presets within presets).  Stomp mode allows you to turn on or off one or more blocks within your preset in momentary or latching mode.

Normal usage of the Helix is that you have multiple presets.  It's pretty smart to have each song have its own dedicated preset, that way you can scroll through your presets, like your set list.  No more of those unsightly paper set lists -- you simply scroll through your presets that are organized in a specific order prior to the gig.

I have one musical project where I created one "kitchen sink" preset that has every single sound I'd ever need to play those 20 songs.  We often swap songs in and out, so to me that was an easier approach.  

Anyway....

With the advent of snapshots, typically people set up their Helix so that the Helix displays 8 snapshots when you select the preset.  Other possibilities are 4 snapshots on the bottom and 4 stomps on the top.  Or 4 snapshots on the top and 4 stomps on the bottom.  Some people still go old-school and don't use any snapshots and simply use your Helix in stomp mode and turn on individual effects, or have one bottom that turns on/off their "lead" sound (delay, eq, etc).

In stomp mode, you have an ability to create wormholes and place anything you want on your pedal board: snapshots, stomps, even other presets.  This is accomplished with the Command Center.

If you must use presets to switch between different sounds (ummm, why....?), e.g. solo/rhythm, there will always be an audible silent gap with no sound when you switch between your presets.  This is absolutely not an issue if you use snapshots, no silence there -- so just use that approach. 

Helix allows you to have gap-less preset switching if you enable that in global settings, but you will reduce your signal path so it becomes half of what you currently have.  The reason is that Helix has 2 DSP chips, and in this arrangement the 2nd DSP chip will load the new preset, so you don't experience any audio dropouts. 

So....

A lot of info out there, manuals and videos.  But if you ask me about my preferred professional approach, it's like this: I have 60 presets, one for each song I know how to play.  If the song has one sound throughout, even if it sounds exactly like the previous song, I still have a "redundant" preset for it.  Inside each preset I have 8 snapshots.  If there are no sound switches in my song, I have 8 identical snapshots.  All my snapshots are organized similarly: e.g. lead is on the bottom right, etc. 

cheers!

• Upvote 1

On 6/5/2022 at 9:09 PM, s7nstringsofhell said:

If you have a patch that has say 4 seperate pre sets( lead/clean etc" How can i have those presets show on the foot pedal when the patch is selected? 
say the top row is the patches and the bottom is the presets? 

I'll assume that by "patches" you actually mean "snapshots"... which are like having presets within presets. 

Assuming you have a Helix Floor, Rack or LT... go to Global Settings > Footswitches > Preset Mode Switches

Adjust those to have your screen display what you would like... If you want "snaps on top, presets on bottom" set this to "snap/preset"

The flexibility of how to lay the controls out on a Helix allows users to set it up to their preference... what works for one person won't necessarily work for another.

• Upvote 1