Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Tap tempo inaccuracy on HX Effects

gianchiar

I have owned an HX Effects for a few years now and loving it but I always found the tap tempo function really inaccurate (since the beginning and through various firmware updates). Before you mention it, it's not user error...the tap tempo on the M9 I still own works as it should, as well as other delays I own. I have a couple of friends that have the same unit and mentioned the same issue...is there something I am missing here? Something I need to change in the settings? anybody else that experienced this or can point me to a relevant thread? THANK YOU!

I have never had any issue with tap tempo on the Helix.  Maybe you are tapping in whole notes rather than quarter notes?  What exactly seems to be the issue? 

But yeah, I have several songs where I tapped in the tempo by ear and then realized later I was almost spot-on to the actual metronome tempo of the track, within 1--2 BPMs. 

On 6/6/2022 at 9:10 PM, gianchiar said:

I have owned an HX Effects for a few years now and loving it but I always found the tap tempo function really inaccurate (since the beginning and through various firmware updates). Before you mention it, it's not user error...the tap tempo on the M9 I still own works as it should, as well as other delays I own. I have a couple of friends that have the same unit and mentioned the same issue...is there something I am missing here? Something I need to change in the settings? anybody else that experienced this or can point me to a relevant thread? THANK YOU!

Yes I had this same problem on both helix rack control and helix floor. Never had this issue using the tap button on the rack front, neither when using remote footswitches and/or midi commands. Also my HX Stomp doesn't suffer the issue, but it feels it's using different FS.

When I investigated the issue on my boards, I've found that sometimes the footswitch was getting two taps in a single FS press/release cycle. So sometimes tapping 60 was resulting in ~120, or even more. Sometimes was like getting a tap when pressing, then another tap when releasing. Sometimes was just an instant double tap, resulting in a full throttle BMP... Sometimes even quitting the tuner, was double tapping. That was probably a malfunction on the little switch that sits under the mechanical footswitch (Helix does use a tactile switch being pressed by a FS mechanical assembly, which is the one you kick). Not saying you have the same problem that I encountered, but yeah, I had this. 

Didn't found any definitive solution, as it depends on a multitude of factors, such angle of pressure, applied force, speed etc...

Probably, in my case at least, the solution would have been to replace the tactile switch, but for me didn't worth it the effort.

Line 6 TACT Switch 6mm x 6mm - 24-31-1105 ( QN172384 ) - Pro Audio Service  Ltd

On 6/6/2022 at 9:35 PM, theElevators said:

I have never had any issue with tap tempo on the Helix.  Maybe you are tapping in whole notes rather than quarter notes?  What exactly seems to be the issue? 

But yeah, I have several songs where I tapped in the tempo by ear and then realized later I was almost spot-on to the actual metronome tempo of the track, within 1--2 BPMs. 

My other delays work well....so I know it' not my foot...or my knowledge! haha!

Also displaying external incoming midi CLK (led in blue) is not very accurate. My midi chain is : midi CLK generator > hx effects > source audio ventris > ditto x4. Ventris and ditto display well the CLK indication while it is less synchronized on hx effects...