Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix output to monitor

ichasedx

Hello to all,

I need an audio output from the Helix to my personal monitor so I can increase my volume in the mix. Hmmm, go figure... a guitar player that doesn't think their loud enough!! I am currently using the 1/4" stereo outputs to the FOH. I was thinking of using the headphone output so I could easily adjust my volume from the Helix rather than the monitor. Or should I just use a "Y" connector to tap into the LH 1/4" output? Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks as always,

Mike

Use the XLRs to FOH.

In Global Settings>Ins/Outs set "Volume Knob Controls" to 1/4".

This gives you a consistent level to FOH (happy FOH engineer) and allows you to control level to stage monitor with Helix Volume knob.

FWIW - this is the standard method. If using a guitar amp for stage level you just split the output and place an IR on the XLR Out.

• Upvote 1

On 6/9/2022 at 12:04 PM, rd2rk said:

Use the XLRs to FOH.

Do to the configuration of my pedalboard, the XLR/AES are not accessible. I built a riser for a few pedals which blocks the top of the Helix. I added remote 1/4" input jacks for the outputs. Any other ideas?

Remote XLRs?

What you've done is kind of like lowering your car (to improve aerodynamics) by removing the tires. :-)

You can TRY using the HP Out, but you're adding an amp stage (HP amp) which may or may not affect your tone or even overdrive your monitor.

• Upvote 1

On 6/9/2022 at 6:33 PM, rd2rk said:

What you've done is kind of like lowering your car (to improve aerodynamics) by removing the tires. :-)

I know it may seem like that now, but at the time, I did the best I could, in the small time window which I had to finish the pedalboard. I accomplished what I needed at that time, for my purposes, with the intentions of making all the connections available as/if needed...I guess I've come to that point now if I want to solve this latest hurdle...

Thanks as always for your help, you've been a great resource!

Mike

On 6/9/2022 at 8:44 PM, ichasedx said:

I know it may seem like that now, but at the time, I did the best I could, in the small time window which I had to finish the pedalboard. I accomplished what I needed at that time, for my purposes, with the intentions of making all the connections available as/if needed...I guess I've come to that point now if I want to solve this latest hurdle...

Thanks as always for your help, you've been a great resource!

Mike

I get it. I've experienced that myself - today's clever solution results in tomorrow's thorny problem.

You should see the wiring in my studio!

On the up side, it's said that problem solving is the best prevention for age-related mental decline...

Glass half full and all that!

• Haha 1

On 6/10/2022 at 4:14 AM, rd2rk said:

You should see the wiring in my studio!

Yep, we all start out with good intentions for the management of wiring etc.

No matter what, it always seems to end up like a mad woman’s knitting!

;-)

• Like 1

On 6/10/2022 at 5:20 AM, ichasedx said:

I forgot that our soundboards XLR inputs are all being used for mics, thats why I use the 1/4" stereo inputs. I'll give the HF a try first.

Assuming that you have open 1/4" inputs (preferably balanced) you can use XLR to 1/4" adapters.

• Upvote 1