Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Catalyst retains Boost / FX settings from previous preset

littlespaceman

I'm puzzled by the way the Catalyst behaves when you changes a preset. There are 2 things in particular here that just seem quite odd to me;

1) WHEN YOU CHANGE PRESET THE AMP CHANGES TO WHICHEVER CHANNEL YOU HAD SELECTED IN THE PREVIOUS PRESET, RATHER THAN DEFAULTING TO CHANNEL A IN THE NEW PRESET

Let's say in Preset 1, I change from Channel A to B. I then want to choose another preset. I expect the new preset to default to Channel A, but it doesn't - instead it switches to whichever Channel I had selected in the previous preset at the time I changed. So if I was on Channel A, the new preset will be on Channel A, but if I was on Channel B then Channel B of the new preset is selected. This makes no sense to me, and causes great confusion; surely the point of a preset is that it will always be in exactly the same state when you select it, you shouldn't have to remember what Channel of the previous preset you were on just to make sure you don't get the wrong Channel on the new preset.

2) THE SAME IS TRUE OF BOOST

Let's say on Preset 1 I turn the boost on. I then go to Preset 2, which is saved with NO boost. But because it was on when I left Preset 1, it remains on when Preset 2 loads up. Again this makes absolutely no sense; if I save a preset, I want it to be in exactly the same state I saved it in, every time I select it - it's not meant to be a random lottery or guessing game.

No other modeller I've used does this, and I can't see any benefit for this so can someone please explain if I'm missing something here. 

LINE 6: CAN THIS BE RESOLVED BY A FIRMWARE UPDATE PLEASE?

I think that your confusion may be caused by a misunderstanding of the nature of BANKS vs CHANNELS.

Nowhere in the manual does L6 make this obvious.

Catalyst has 12 PRESETS. It does not have true CHANNEL switching or snapshots, only PRESET switching.

A BANK consists of 2 PRESETS which can be accessed directly via the footswitch using a "PRESET PREVIOUS/PRESET NEXT" function.

IOW - if you're on Channel A the FS takes you to Channel B and vice versa, mimicking the actions of the A/B switches on the panel.

But what's really happening is that on BANK 1 the FS (or A/B switch) toggles PRESET 1/PRESET 2, on BANK 2 the FS toggles PRESET 3/PRESET 4 etc...

For the sake of clear communication I'm using the proper terms in what follows.

On 6/11/2022 at 2:57 PM, littlespaceman said:

1) WHEN YOU CHANGE PRESET THE AMP CHANGES TO WHICHEVER CHANNEL YOU HAD SELECTED IN THE PREVIOUS PRESET, RATHER THAN DEFAULTING TO CHANNEL A IN THE NEW PRESET

"When you change the BANK THE AMP CHANGES TO WHICHEVER CHANNEL" (preset) "YOU HAD SELECTED IN THE PREVIOUS BANK."

This is true ONLY if you use the panel controls. Using MIDI you can select which of the two presets in the new BANK you want to load.

You should post a request over on Ideascale for addition of some sort of option if you don't want to use MIDI.

2) THE SAME IS TRUE OF BOOST

Let's say on Preset A I turn the boost on. I then go to Preset B, which is saved with NO boost. But because it was on when I left Preset A, it remains on when Preset B loads up. Again this makes absolutely no sense; if I save a preset, I want it to be in exactly the same state I saved it in, every time I select it - it's not meant to be a random lottery or guessing game.

"Let's say on Channel A I turn the boost on. I then go to Channel B, which is saved with NO boost. But because it was on when I left Channel A, it remains on when Channel B loads up."

I'm not sure what's going on here. Using the panel A/B switches, if you change the saved boost/fx bypass setting in a channel, when you switch channels and come back the change is retained, but it does NOT affect the other channel. If you use MIDI to toggle the channels it reloads the saved settings, overriding the panel settings (your stated preference). If you use the FS to change channels it behaves as you described. Very weird. Which was the intended behavior and which is a bug. OR - was this INTENDED as a way to provide ALL THREE options? Could this be the mythical beneficial bug? Does even THE SHADOW know???

FYI - The Helix devices have a function related to Block Bypass behavior in Snapshots, for which they provide a couple of settings to control the behavior - one Global called "Snapshot Edit Recall/Discard" and one per block within presets called "Snapshot Bypass". Nobody really understands how it all works or how the settings interact, but you can always post a request over on Ideascale for similar Cat controls :-). Or you could use MIDI.

Another problem with using a FS vs the panel switches or MIDI is that if you use a FS to switch channels it momentarily triggers whatever is assigned to FS2. If that's the boost it can cause a loud "POP". If it's an effect it can cause a variety of interesting but musically useless and annoying "GLITCH" type noises. 

FWIW - I'm working with L6 support on these problems. I normally use MIDI and noticed the above discrepancies when I hooked up my Moskey Dual FS.

I'm waiting for an LFS2 to arrive. Support says they couldn't duplicate the "POP" thing with the LFS2, but others over on TGP dispute that. We'll see.

I'll post back with developments as they occur.

LINE 6: CAN THIS BE RESOLVED BY A FIRMWARE UPDATE PLEASE?

Nobody from L6 hangs out here. Support Tickets and Ideascale are your only hope.

I have noticed this FS behavior as well. I don't understand why Line 6 would have it function this way; I've never had another modeler work this way either. I have posted 2 requests on Ideascale, one about footswitch behavior and the other about replacing/adding useful effects like compression and overdrive that are common in modelers.

My ideas are:

1. Have FS behavior returns to saved setting when toggling between Channels
  2. Have FS behavior selectable per Channel: i.e. Chan A FS toggles Boost, Chan B FS toggles Boost and Effects
  3. Replace/ add Pitch effects for compressor, overdrive and clean boost

This would make the Catalyst much more configurable and flexible. Considering the target market is the Katana, which has WAY more effects, and configurability, I think it would make the Catalyst more competitive in the market.

On 6/12/2022 at 12:16 PM, gtrman100 said:

I have noticed this FS behavior as well. I don't understand why Line 6 would have it function this way; I've never had another modeler work this way either. I have posted 2 requests on Ideascale, one about footswitch behavior and the other about replacing/adding useful effects like compression and overdrive that are common in modelers.

My ideas are:

1. Have FS behavior returns to saved setting when toggling between Channels
  2. Have FS behavior selectable per Channel: i.e. Chan A FS toggles Boost, Chan B FS toggles Boost and Effects
  3. Replace/ add Pitch effects for compressor, overdrive and clean boost

This would make the Catalyst much more configurable and flexible. Considering the target market is the Katana, which has WAY more effects, and configurability, I think it would make the Catalyst more competitive in the market.

FWIW - I don't believe for a minute that the target market is people who would otherwise buy a Katana.

I've had two Katanas - the 100 MKI and the Artist MKII. They are VERY different amps for a similar but different market - all-in-one every effect known to man with comprehensive floor control.

I believe that the target market is people who want a simple inexpensive good sounding grab & go amp with BASIC FX that can be used as an AITR solution for users of more advanced modelers such as Helix. Most of which have MIDI.

That's why I got it.

Purchased after doing my due diligence, I found the amp to be everything I expected with the exception of the FS operation.

I didn't discover that problem (or the panel switch problem) until after the return period because I use MIDI.

That is to say, the amp does everything it claims to IF YOU USE MIDI, but has a faulty FS implementation (momentary triggering of FS2 when channel switching).

I think they should standardize the way that the panel switches work to match the way MIDI works (switching channels reverts to saved preset).

I think THAT'S a bug (panel channel switch does NOT return to saved preset) that CAN be fixed with a FW update. I could be wrong.

The FS problems need to be fixed quickly especially for the users of the CAT60 who don't have the MIDI option unless they spend another $100 on a MIDI HOST Box and another $XXX on a floor controller. They bought the basic configuration and shouldn't have to do that. Any momentary FS should just work.

I'm awaiting arrival of my LFS2 so I can test if that solves the FS problem (momentary triggering of FS2 when channel switching).

I'll be posting my results, and the results of my communications with L6 support concerning both the FS behavior and the panel switch problem.

I totally agree with you about the footswitch functionality. It kind of blows my mind that they would release it with a most basic function of a 2 channel amp implemented with a glitch like this. Since I got a used unit from GC, even though it was sold as new, they gave me a free cover and a LFS2 footswitch as compensation. The LFS2 is backordered so I bought a Hosa FS for $19 (no LED's) and it works fine, that's how I discovered the wonky FS functionality.

I think the target market is inexpensive modeling amps, and the Katana and Catalyst are almost identical in that way. But I agree, if you compare effects the Kat is much more comprehensive and that will be a deciding factor for the buyer. But the Catalyst as a monitor for the Helix works extremely well, which is why I'm holding on to it. I'm using my Helix floor to control the Cat via midi and it works well, but I mainly use it as a powered monitor with Helix amp models.

On 6/12/2022 at 1:27 AM, rd2rk said:

I think that your confusion may be caused by a misunderstanding of the nature of BANKS vs CHANNELS.

Nowhere in the manual does L6 make this obvious.

Catalyst has 12 PRESETS. It does not have true CHANNEL switching or snapshots, only PRESET switching.

A BANK consists of 2 PRESETS which can be accessed directly via the footswitch using a "PRESET PREVIOUS/PRESET NEXT" function.

IOW - if you're on Channel A the FS takes you to Channel B and vice versa, mimicking the actions of the A/B switches on the panel.

But what's really happening is that on BANK 1 the FS (or A/B switch) toggles PRESET 1/PRESET 2, on BANK 2 the FS toggles PRESET 3/PRESET 4 etc...

Firstly thank you for the very helpful reply. 

I don't actually think I'm getting confused though, even if I have misused terminology in my post. I do understand that the amp doesn't have proper Channel switching , but instead has Preset switching, BUT the amp is sold as being a '2 Channel' amp in the publicity; from the Line 6 website "The Catalyst® family includes three dual-channel combo amplifiers that perform like traditional guitar amps" (my underlining)

FWIW I like the way you can choose any amp to save in any 'Channel', that's a neat idea. And the app reinforces the idea that it's a pseudo 2 Channel amp, because when you use the app to select a BANK, you then have the option of 'Ch A / B' in each Bank. So although you say 'This is true ONLY if you use the panel controls' it is also true if you use the app.

So overall I see the concept of the Catalyst as being like you actually have 6 fantasy amps to choose from; each amp is 2 channel and you can select whichever of the Cat models you want to save in each channel position.

But it is exactly because it is designed to mimic a traditional 2 Channel amp that I am puzzled by the way that 'selecting a new amp' (ie changing bank) takes you 

to whichever channel was selected in the Bank that you've come from rather than take you to Channel A as a starting point in the new Bank (which is where you would be if you turned on an amp; my analogy for selecting a new Bank in the Catalyst)

Sadly this adds to a growing list of things with the amp that are causing me to find it less and less user friendly (my issue with the FX Loop being positioned in front of the onboard effects and how this makes the amp unusable with a looper in the FX loop is probably the main one - if you are working with the Line 6 Dev team, I'd love to get your thoughts on this one)

On 6/12/2022 at 8:25 PM, rd2rk said:

FWIW - I don't believe for a minute that the target market is people who would otherwise buy a Katana.

I've had two Katanas - the 100 MKI and the Artist MKII. They are VERY different amps for a similar but different market - all-in-one every effect known to man with comprehensive floor control.

I believe that the target market is people who want a simple inexpensive good sounding grab & go amp with BASIC FX that can be used as an AITR solution for users of more advanced modelers such as Helix. Most of which have MIDI.

That's why I got it.

Purchased after doing my due diligence, I found the amp to be everything I expected with the exception of the FS operation.

I didn't discover that problem (or the panel switch problem) until after the return period because I use MIDI.

That is to say, the amp does everything it claims to IF YOU USE MIDI, but has a faulty FS implementation (momentary triggering of FS2 when channel switching).

I think they should standardize the way that the panel switches work to match the way MIDI works (switching channels reverts to saved preset).

I think THAT'S a bug (panel channel switch does NOT return to saved preset) that CAN be fixed with a FW update. I could be wrong.

The FS problems need to be fixed quickly especially for the users of the CAT60 who don't have the MIDI option unless they spend another $100 on a MIDI HOST Box and another $XXX on a floor controller. They bought the basic configuration and shouldn't have to do that. Any momentary FS should just work.

I'm awaiting arrival of my LFS2 so I can test if that solves the FS problem (momentary triggering of FS2 when channel switching).

I'll be posting my results, and the results of my communications with L6 support concerning both the FS behavior and the panel switch problem.

A couple of things; 

I'm intrigued you don't think the Cat is designed to rival the Kat; I may have fallen for the hype on You Tube that this is supposed to be Line 6's attempt to grab some of that market. Personally I don't like the sound of the Kat, but I do like the way you can configure the position of the FX loop etc. 

What I don't understand is the concept of the Catalyst being both a grab and go amp with basic FX, AND an AITR solution for modellers; as a grab and go it sounds good but IMHO isn't user friendly because of some of the issues we are discussing here (for example the channel switching issue - not something I want to have to deal with in what is supposed to be a simple and easy to use amp) As an AITR, yes it's a solution but why would you want to use a £240 amp with a £1200 unit like a Helix, when the amp isn't FRFR? Surely you'd then end up having to either create your Helix presets using monitors, and accept that it sounds different if you play it through your Catalyst, or you end up tweaking your Helix presets when you play it through the Cat, only to find it doesn't sound like you thought it would through a PA, which presumably if you have a Helix is what you're going to play through when/if you use it live. In other words, it's nice that it can be used as a powered speaker but to my ears it doesn't replace the PowerCab.

In terms of due diligence, I thought I'd done mine too, but sadly neither the L6 website not the Cat manual gives you as much information as for example Boss do, about things like the position of the FX Loop - so I was surprised and disappointed when I found that I can't use a looper in the FX loop, AND use the onboard effects, without those effects affecting the entire loop itself (presumably because the FX loop is placed before the onboard fx, and not after them) And I only found that out at home because it simply isn't possible to try all the things I want to try with the amp in a local guitar shop. I'd also go as far as to say that due diligence is hard to achieve when the sales pitch / marketing / website themselves are a bit misleading. 

Please understand I'm not trying to be antagonistic here; I'm just becoming increasingly disappointed in the functionality of the Catalyst (not the sounds, I think they're pretty good) and it seems to me that some aspects of the amp are flawed conceptually - but I'm happy to stand corrected if I have misunderstood things (for example my issue with the fx loop position)

On 6/12/2022 at 3:35 PM, littlespaceman said:

Sadly this adds to a growing list of things with the amp that are causing me to find it less and less user friendly (my issue with the FX Loop being positioned in front of the onboard effects and how this makes the amp unusable with a looper in the FX loop is probably the main one - if you are working with the Line 6 Dev team, I'd love to get your thoughts on this one)

To be clear, L6 never claimed that the amp was suitable for your application, and they're not likely to want to take the time to figure out how to make a third party device work with Catalyst in a way that the Catalyst was not intended to be used.

It sounds to me like you really should return it and find something that works for you.

If I wanted to do what you're describing I would take the XLR from the Cat to the Input of the Looper (adapters as needed), then take the output from the Looper to a separate amp/playback system or AI for recording. That way you record your loop with whatever Catalyst preset you want, record layered loops using different Cat presets as necessary and have the option to mix the two signals separately and/or record the loops separately into your DAW. That would also allow you to play over drum tracks or use a click track and add drum tracks later.

IOW - treat them as what they are - separate audio systems. But, if you can find another amp that works for your purposes, go for it!

On 6/12/2022 at 3:48 PM, littlespaceman said:

What I don't understand is the concept of the Catalyst being both a grab and go amp with basic FX, AND an AITR solution for modellers; as a grab and go it sounds good but IMHO isn't user friendly because of some of the issues we are discussing here (for example the channel switching issue - not something I want to have to deal with in what is supposed to be a simple and easy to use amp) As an AITR, yes it's a solution but why would you want to use a £240 amp with a £1200 unit like a Helix, when the amp isn't FRFR? Surely you'd then end up having to either create your Helix presets using monitors, and accept that it sounds different if you play it through your Catalyst, or you end up tweaking your Helix presets when you play it through the Cat, only to find it doesn't sound like you thought it would through a PA, which presumably if you have a Helix is what you're going to play through when/if you use it live. In other words, it's nice that it can be used as a powered speaker but to my ears it doesn't replace the PowerCab.

Quite to the contrary. I own a PC212+ which I got after not especially liking the PC112+. FRFR and AITR are different things. If you use a Powercab in LF RAW mode (no Hi Freq driver) it IS an AITR. I didn't like either the LF RAW or the FRFR on the PC112+ and while both modes sound significantly better (to me) with the PC212+, the PC212+ weighs 48lbs and is much larger that the Cat which, to my ears, provides a better AITR experience. Where the Powercab has a smooth sound, the Cat sounds RAW and unprocessed. Guitar cab AITR.

Just because it's cheaper doesn't mean it's not worthy of my Helix. Helix has a lot more FX and overall capabilities and sounds GREAT (to me) through the Cat. If I don't want to tear down and carry the Helix (lots of cables - see below) I can just grab my HX Stomp. Grab'n'Go - Guitar in one hand and Catalyst in the other, Stomp in gig bag with guitar. The cab simulated XLR Out on the Cat means that I'm hearing onstage what the audience is hearing from FOH.

In my studio (the living room :-) ) I keep the Cat on top of the Powercab (makes a great amp stand), and run 4cm from Helix to the Cat (switchable between Helix and Cat amps) with any additional FX I want in front of the Cat. I take the XLR from the Cat to the MIC Input on the Helix and use that into stereo FX that then get sent to the Powercab (via L6 Link) set to 200% stereo spread. Modified W/D/W. AWESOME ambient stoner jams ensue! Because I can send separate signals from Helix and Powercab I can record the whole thing with drum tracks or backing tracks and synths in my DAW. In the unlikely event that I need more db level than the Cat can provide, adding the PC212+ to the rig does the job (1-12/100 watts + 2-12/500 watts). Yeah, LOUD!

As for tweaking the Helix presets for different uses, that's life! With 1028 preset slots, the possibilities are virtually unlimited!

I get it that you consider the problems you've found with the Cat to be insurmountable. They're not a problem for me because Helix has MIDI, and using MIDI mitigates all of those problems. Plus, I'm confident (I've been using Helix for 6 years) that L6 will work out these teething problems.

By now you should be starting to understand why I say that L6 did NOT create the Catalyst to go after the Katana market. Catalyst is (or can be) an integrated part of the larger L6 ecosystem. Or it can be a simple grab'n'go amp that's actually 6 two channel amps in one with BASIC FX and XLR out with 3 cab sims. AND sounds GREAT!

On 6/12/2022 at 3:57 PM, littlespaceman said:

I use the Catalyst with a BOSS FS6 footswitch and I don't have this problem...

So, when you switch channels, if you look at the Cat's Panel, you don't see the LED of whatever is assigned to FS2 (Boost or FX) flash once for, like a ms or two?

The support guy I talked to tried it with his LFS2 and couldn't duplicate the problem, but a reliable user on TGP says his LFS2 does it.

I'm waiting for my LFS2 to get here, and support guy said he'd try his BOSS pedal over the weekend, so I should know more by Tuesday.

On 6/12/2022 at 11:03 PM, rd2rk said:

To be clear, L6 never claimed that the amp was suitable for your application, and they're not likely to want to take the time to figure out how to make a third party device work with Catalyst in a way that the Catalyst was not intended to be used.

Thanks for the reply. I suppose if I was trying to do something completely outlandish with the Catalyst, then I would be more in agreement with you, but what I’m trying to do - use a looper in the FX loop, and still be able to use the on-board effects - surely has to be one of the most common applications for an FX Loop in guitar amps today. And most other brands implement the FX loops on their amps to allow this, so it just seems like an opportunity missed for Line 6 not to do the same. 

it is a significant problem for me with the  Catalyst, which is a shame because in every other way I like the amp very much. The best solution would be that it is fixable via firmware.

I have posted on ideascale about this, but I have yet to know what the answer is. If I was to summarise however, I would argue that if Line 6 did make the position of the Fx loop switchable like the Boss amps  do, no one would complain, but the fact that they haven’t does cause reason to - I can’t believe I’m the only person on the planet that has an issue with this. 
Another way of looking at it is that they have created the Catalyst to be a great value, great sounding amp, which implies it will attract a wide target audience. Yet the way the effects loop doesn’t play nicely with loopers, which are generically extremely widely used pedals, seems entirely counterintuitive. 

And the idea of returning the amp is a valid one, and believe me I consider it most days - but whether I do or don’t, I wouldn’t think that sort of conversation is what Line 6 intended people to be having about the Catalyst because - at the moment at least (I’m being optimistic that L6 care about my opinion and/or that a firmware update is capable of resolving this) - the marketing claim is that it is a simple and straightforward amp to use, yet not being able to use a looper with the onboard effects (which are a major selling point for the Catalsyt) seems non-sensical to me.

On 6/13/2022 at 12:00 AM, rd2rk said:

Quite to the contrary. I own a PC212+ which I got after not especially liking the PC112+. FRFR and AITR are different things. If you use a Powercab in LF RAW mode (no Hi Freq driver) it IS an AITR. I didn't like either the LF RAW or the FRFR on the PC112+

Without wishing to teach you to suck eggs, have you raised the input levels on the PCab?

I came across a video recently showing how one guy set up his power cabs to about +6 dB, and then uses the volume of his modeller at a set position, and having done that on my power cab I have to say my modeller (Headrush) sounds much better and more natural than it did before - in short it sounds great and although the Cat as a PC substitute is ok, it doesn’t sound nearly as good as the PC now I have it set up better. 

On 6/13/2022 at 12:00 AM, rd2rk said:

Or it can be a simple grab'n'go amp that's actually 6 two channel amps in one with BASIC FX and XLR out with 3 cab sims. 

A perfectly valid point; but my issue with this is that the Cat being a multiple ‘2 channel amp’ box is itself the subject of much debate (see other threads here), largely because they haven’t implemented this properly either; so if I was to change  Amp 1 (ie Bank 1) Channel A to B and then I wanted  to move to another ‘2 channel amp’ by selecting Amp 2 (ie Bank 2) rather than switch to Amp/Bank 2 as a new amp, and start you off with Amp 2, Channel A, it takes you to Channel B because that is what you had selected in the previous Amp/Bank. Again that seems nonsensical (not just to me!)

I’ve used L6 products for a long time too, so while I partly trust them to resolve this sort of thing I think it’s a fair argument to say that having been in the game a long time they shouldn’t be releasing products that need issues like this resolving.

On 6/13/2022 at 12:51 AM, rd2rk said:

So, when you switch channels, if you look at the Cat's Panel, you don't see the LED of whatever is assigned to FS2 (Boost or FX) flash once for, like a ms or two?

The support guy I talked to tried it with his LFS2 and couldn't duplicate the problem, but a reliable user on TGP says his LFS2 does it.

I'm waiting for my LFS2 to get here, and support guy said he'd try his BOSS pedal over the weekend, so I should know more by Tuesday.

it’s just gone midnight here in London, and I’ve crept downstairs to try this out (otherwise I probably wouldn’t be able to sleep, ha ha)

Funnily enough, when the amp is very first turned on, with the Boss FS6 connected, the very first press of the button that changes channel, does cause the boost or whatever else is assigned to the other foot switch to momentarily engage (as you suggest, it is less than a second) however, on every subsequent press of the channel change foot switch after that, it does not happen. 

It is probably worth mentioning that - IF you are using a single TRS cable, see attached pic - the footswitches operate in the opposite sense to how I would expect them to, so footswitch A is boost or effect, and footswitch B is channel change. Changing the polarity on FS6, does not change this.

However if you are using a Y cable, and connecting the TRS end at the amp in to the mono A and B jacks on the pedal I believe it operates the other way around 

4444EFD2-075A-42F4-A775-5C9CF75FA290.jpeg

On 6/16/2022 at 4:54 PM, littlespaceman said:

Without wishing to teach you to suck eggs, have you raised the input levels on the PCab?

I came across a video recently showing how one guy set up his power cabs to about +6 dB, and then uses the volume of his modeller at a set position, and having done that on my power cab I have to say my modeller (Headrush) sounds much better and more natural than it did before - in short it sounds great and although the Cat as a PC substitute is ok, it doesn’t sound nearly as good as the PC now I have it set up better. 

For best results the input level on the Powercab needs to be set so that the highest signal that hits it (boosted lead with hard strumming?) puts the LED into the yellow (amber?) with MAYBE an occasional flash of red. That's how I've always set it. It's hard to get all of your presets levelled to this condition, which is part of the reason that levelling presets is a perpetual hot topic. And if you don't use a Powercab, the FOH tech has to deal with it!

I just got the LFS2 footswitch, and spent most of an afternoon comparing the three control modes - panel, footswitch and MIDI.

I've posted my results as "What's NOT in the Pilot's Guide".

The short story is that everything you want to do (other than the FX Loop thing) is possible, but it requires a combination of methods.

Maybe not the news you want to hear, but it is what it is.

I'll still take my $400 Catalyst over a $1000 Tone Master every day!