Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix overall volume knob

gertroscam

Hi Silverhead,

thanks for your reply

but fair enough.... here is the full explanation and question:

my rig:

I send XLR to PA and the 1/4 jacks to a small analog mixer on my floorboard that I use to mix the signal to my InEarMonitors (IEM)

My small analog mixer also receives a stereo 'monitor mix' from the PA guy, which basically is a copy of the main FOH mix, minus my own guitar sound.

Then I mix my original guitar sound + the monitor mix (minus guitar) to what I like in my IEM.

This enables me to:

- always hear my direct guitar sound (without any tonal tweaks done by the PA guy)

- adjust my guitar level on my small mixer and mix it together with the monitor mix I receive from PA.

- be independent: I do not have to wait for the PA Guy. From the moment I go onstage to setup, I can directly hear my guitar in my IEM, regardless from wheter the PA mixing board is already setup.

The problem:

The problem arises with all the other bandmembers being also on IEM (but of course on different mixes). When I'm testing/jamming before soundcheck they always complain that my jamming is heard in their IEM's as well. We could ofcourse mute my incoming channel on the PA desk, but we only have 1 soundguy for Main FOH and IEM and he's always busy with orther stuff. gtherefor I want to be able to mute whatever I send to the main miwing desk.

I assign the general Volume knob to ONLY XLR. That way I can turn it all the way down when jamming so I don't send anything to the PA, nor to the other band members IEM's.

Questions:

is there a way of assigning the general Volume knob to a pedal? (to a volume pedal or to an ON/OFF switch)

thanks.

On 6/12/2022 at 10:50 AM, gertroscam said:

Hi Silverhead,

thanks for your reply

but fair enough.... here is the full explanation and question:

my rig:

I send XLR to PA and the 1/4 jacks to a small analog mixer on my floorboard that I use to mix the signal to my InEarMonitors (IEM)

My small analog mixer also receives a stereo 'monitor mix' from the PA guy, which basically is a copy of the main FOH mix, minus my own guitar sound.

Then I mix my original guitar sound + the monitor mix (minus guitar) to what I like in my IEM.

This enables me to:

- always hear my direct guitar sound (without any tonal tweaks done by the PA guy)

- adjust my guitar level on my small mixer and mix it together with the monitor mix I receive from PA.

- be independent: I do not have to wait for the PA Guy. From the moment I go onstage to setup, I can directly hear my guitar in my IEM, regardless from wheter the PA mixing board is already setup.

The problem:

The problem arises with all the other bandmembers being also on IEM (but of course on different mixes). When I'm testing/jamming before soundcheck they always complain that my jamming is heard in their IEM's as well. We could ofcourse mute my incoming channel on the PA desk, but we only have 1 soundguy for Main FOH and IEM and he's always busy with orther stuff. gtherefor I want to be able to mute whatever I send to the main miwing desk.

I assign the general Volume knob to ONLY XLR. That way I can turn it all the way down when jamming so I don't send anything to the PA, nor to the other band members IEM's.

Questions:

is there a way of assigning the general Volume knob to a pedal? (to a volume pedal or to an ON/OFF switch)

thanks.

I have to say I have to agree with what rd3rk said in his response to you in the other thread.  You already have a way of controlling the volume level going to the PA so if you want to get a signal prior to the main mix setup, you've got the XLR output under your control.  Most importantly, the more complexity you add in the setup the greater the likelihood of something getting messed up during the performance.  Even if it doesn't get messed up, it certainly isn't likely to be any kind of accurate representation of what the audience is hearing if you bypass the output of your main channel while listening to your own personal mix.  The soundman could be way off in his interpretation of how your guitar should sound in the mix and you'd never know it.

The reason for the mixing board providing both FOH and monitor mixes is meant to provide a dialog between the band and the soundman.  Your input about the tone of the guitar in the mix is just as valuable in getting things right as is your need for how prominently you need to hear it in your mix.  In working as a soundman I can't begin to tell you how many times someone pointed out something on stage in the mix that I had overlooked and was able to fix due to their input prior to going live with the mix.