Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Re-assigning mode, bank selector, tuner and preset selectors to different footswitches

The_Twickerman

I am getting to grips with this unit. Think it ticks all the boxes. :-)

What would be really helpful to me would be to be able to move the four presets to the most accessible locations (i.e. the front row).

Is that possible?

Thanks for any suggestions!

- Nick.

Edited by The_Twickerman
Misleading title.

• The_Twickerman changed the title to Re-assigning mode, bank selector, tuner and preset selectors to different footswitches
On 6/16/2022 at 9:03 AM, The_Twickerman said:

I was hoping that, in Preset Select Mode, it might be possible to reassign the functions to the footswitches. 

e.g. move the A B C D switches to the front row.

It's not a documented feature, but I hoped there might be a trick to do it.

No - the up/down, mode, and tap tempo switches are non-assignable as control function switches in preset mode. In stomp mode the up/down switches become assignable but the mode and tap tempo remain non-assignable.  However there are other options:

Option 1: you could use snap-shots to achieve 4 different settings to give you your ABCD selection, and still have the up/down pedals function to move you through the patches or banks.

Option 2: You could also keep the Pod Go in 6-stomp mode and connect 2 external momentary pedals and setting Pod Go to still give you patch/bank up/down

Option 3: You could use Pod Go in 4-stomp mode, leaving the up/down switches to move you through banks/patches

Option 4: Alternatively, and this is what I do, if you connect two additional momentary external foot switches and set Pod Go to FS7/8, you can assign functions to these that will engage in any mode including patch mode.  So you might set FS7 to raise amp gain and/or kick in a distortion pedal, and FS8 to kick in eg modulation with an increase in delay mix etc - you can set FS7/8 to do anything that the FS1-6 footswitches can do but with the advantage you don't have to go into stomp mode to engage them.  This gives you 2 out of the 4 you wanted - and that's certainly better than none!   However, FS7/8 aren't visible in the Pod Go window. 

Here's a pic of my set-up with 2 x Bespeco VM20 momentary non-latching switches - the cable is a stereo Y cable - the end that plugs into the Pod Go external pedal input is TRS stereo (TRS=Tip, Ring, Sleeve) and the 2 that go into the VM20's are the mono connectors (one is Tip, one is Sleeve I think) you can tell these by the different colour  casings (one red, one black).  The VM20's require no battery connection but have no LED's.  These are clones of the Boss FS5-U and are less than half the price.   

The Boss FS7 and FS6 can switch between latching and non-latching ('momentary') modes but both are more expensive - in non-latching mode the FS7 will function perfectly without needing an external power supply but if you want to see the LED's then you'll need to buy a separate PSU for it (it's compact so there is no room for batteries).  I'd advise against the FS6 as it's a pain - you'll need batteries (it has no built-in outlet for mains power) and it won't work in any mode without these, and if you leave cables connected it will drain your batteries!  

There are other small 2-foot-switch options - whilst compact, I prefer the Bespeco/Boss style as these have silent switches, sit well on the floor, and are a bigger target especially when gigging. 

Hope this helps.

gIOaH0sRpDq58d6hhfm_LCrddtWhOhHISqrQWYkE_L8QlCilSSrK70MNHbUmYkKd0PwnK3eIgjCGYUmTwLJWhZLEpJ7FrkWR9P52uAHpx6uvEvrsQEdOIVgOor3FdPFs1IceYOXd4Mf5sp_IzqtfRVsb6oOLTEQ9VO4UlxxObcFubQdGx4VGMtA4EkTpTJw9KBaYQcRhAj-eUliZqbUoYH_YW6dJJHSbmHoqg4orCKQYZih1cO3CAYLbXiYs0NZt9WIsxzHyQHNRxAszjYiU9H-MT9ja5pNOpS-SYthUtCg1yEaJtjpm9_Tpd9FcZJ8Q5qJtlQpojo8bn4VDad3WwJGk7kH5P-a53r_LrdgnadANONtn4sKVxzxYnYHGoCA0Ehn7K5ayko9vVjAxP5HYowFEhW2MvjWKFXLLE1iwKsK6zse-URwlrmhOcKPynapH2OAfv1nm98-ELydzH_vxQrXdUnCn7NCnJkcWCePU-ScRajZKeRjOL3lOSMP3RtOCaDywruaNWB3QhF9esxrUcuG95ocOphJIa4p_1eU9qw0iKsD-Uv7iAWktrxcamPg38DP5bglrKA-nrN5NrMh_GOanLuxOHInFC681c3lKR84VUv91RnyHdgmbr0wDuavfQ9fch0a1_tIfr65oN0ln3Jkkg3MquJ50OwzXNHmKbtsVd-OvYjNLNKRry9c-ka_Ei0opIYO4SwuLJrZ9LMi91NpcVqG9TuUcSpNN6ebSDNlc4VnFuFEJf5BGPyJYWiK85F_czUVAEhsJI_OAY823NLuIFPwW1M-sadUYCnA3MO8AItU1pk9_GBxhP-fSY1feaSgr8Q=w1324-h993-no?authuser=0

boss-fs-7-latched-unlatched-mini-footswi

51kea4XDDJL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

On 6/17/2022 at 10:34 AM, The_Twickerman said:

Thanks Voxman. None of these really works for me - but I do appreciate the suggestions. 

Incidentally, for some reason the first pic (showing your setup?) won't display for me, for some reason.

I too would prefer the first row to be the ABCD buttons, that is how the Kemper floorboard (Remote) is setup and I find that more user friendly but I am looking for something more easily portable.  I can see why the layout is setup on the POD-GO the way they have it. If the bank buttons were both on the 2nd row I don't think it would be game changer for people but having the TAP button on the first row is something I think is a requirement IMO. 

I was thinking maybe the the Behringer FCB1010 would get you there but I don't think it would connect with the POD Go as the FCB1010 only looks to have Midi connections (no USB) and the POD GO only has a USB connection which I do not think is setup for a fully functional Midi in connection. Of course adding a pedalboard the size of the FCB1010 sort of defeats the purpose of having a grab and go unit like the POD Go.

Honestly, in a more perfect world for me the POD-Go would be about 6 inches wider with 5 buttons on the bottom row (ABCD and TAP) with the other buttons on the 2nd row and a larger LCD screen. Add in a little more DSP power so maybe the pitch shifter would be usable for dropping tuning and maybe a couple more FX block then I would be willing to pay a decent chunk more.

On 6/16/2022 at 10:22 PM, voxman55 said:

Here's a pic of my set-up with 2 x Bespeco VM20 momentary non-latching switches - the cable is a stereo Y cable - the end that plugs into the Pod Go external pedal input is TRS stereo (TRS=Tip, Ring, Sleeve) and the 2 that go into the VM20's are the mono connectors (one is Tip, one is Sleeve I think) you can tell these by the different colour  casings (one red, one black).  The VM20's require no battery connection but have no LED's.  These are clones of the Boss FS5-U and are less than half the price.   

The Boss FS7 and FS6 can switch between latching and non-latching ('momentary') modes but both are more expensive - in non-latching mode the FS7 will function perfectly without needing an external power supply but if you want to see the LED's then you'll need to buy a separate PSU for it (it's compact so there is no room for batteries).  I'd advise against the FS6 as it's a pain - you'll need batteries (it has no built-in outlet for mains power) and it won't work in any mode without these, and if you leave cables connected it will drain your batteries!  

There are other small 2-foot-switch options - whilst compact, I prefer the Bespeco/Boss style as these have silent switches, sit well on the floor, and are a bigger target especially when gigging. 

I do not recommend the FS-6 for the reason you list (need for a battery to operate) and I could not get the FS-7 to function properly. From my experience the FS-7 takes 3 presses on the same button to change directions but then will advance again with only 1 button press... until you want to change directions again which would require 3 more presses on the other button. Unusable to me.

Dual FS-5U's have worked well but it seems easy for the polarity switch(es) to get jostled, which I found out last night at practice, throwing everything out of whack. This was fairly easy to fix but I will have to get everything labelled better and maybe fix the position of the polarity switches if I can. Everything has to be hooked up precisely and the polarity switches in the correct position to work properly. Otherwise strange things happen.

On 6/19/2022 at 2:52 PM, jjuba said:

Dual FS-5U's have worked well but it seems easy for the polarity switch(es) to get jostled,

My Bespeco units are FS-5U clones. The slider switches are deeply recessed and in all my years of using these (I used them with Boss units before ala GT3,5,6 etc) they have never ever moved and are quite stiff.  Perhaps the switch type in the VM20 is more stable.  But if yours are moving, it's a very simple fix - just put some blutac or similar in the switch cavity or tape over the switch so that it can't slide:

Image 1 - Bespeco VM20 Pedal Sustain

And if anyone is looking for a double momentary foot-switch Bespeco do the VM32 - it has no LED's but does not require batteries. (I'm not 100% sure but I believe the end 'stands' are removable if you prefer to have the unit flat):

218231.jpg