Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Variax battery dead - where can I find replacement?

My battery in my JTV-59 is old and no longer holds a charge. I need a replacement, but nobody has stock on the official line6 batteries anywhere that I can find and the third party replacements are not recommended/problematic. 

Does anyone have a recommendation for where to get a replacement (prefer Line6 but I’ll take a 3rd party at this point.)

Thanks!

• Like 1

Do not use 3rd party batteries, we can not vouch for other companies batteries, and all too often are unreliable.

Have had issues with those other batteries. Use only those with a Line 6 label on it. There are no authorized, 3rd party

compatibles out there.

On 6/16/2022 at 3:43 PM, jwalker262 said:

My battery in my JTV-59 is old and no longer holds a charge. I need a replacement, but nobody has stock on the official line6 batteries anywhere that I can find and the third party replacements are not recommended/problematic. 

Does anyone have a recommendation for where to get a replacement (prefer Line6 but I’ll take a 3rd party at this point.)

Thanks!

If you’re in the US you can order one online from Line 6 (see SHOP link at top of this page). If not you can order one from your nearest Line 6 retailer.

On 6/16/2022 at 6:26 PM, silverhead said:

Open a support ticket.

Honestly curious - why?

If they don't have any to SELL you, are they hoarding some to GIVE you?  They've been out of stock for...months? A year? It's been a long time - and it's way beyond unacceptable by now.  This is a critical part to a flagship product - and please don't tell me about VDI, the one project I use mine (plural) in is a show band where mobility is an absolute must and I'm wireless at all times.

And I'm sort of an L6 fanboy - can look around from where I sit and see L6 guitars/amps/processors/wireless all around me.  But the reality is I'm down (over the last few years) from 4 batteries on hand to 2, and one of them is getting weak.  I'm going to need another, or two, all too soon.  This needs to be rectified, soon.

On 6/16/2022 at 9:04 PM, jwalker262 said:

Line 6 shows out of stock and has been out of stock for months if not more. Sweetwater is out of stock. Guitar Center is out of stock. Nobody has these. I checked. 

Hmmm. I didn’t know that.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 9/23/2022 at 3:17 AM, jealousblues said:

Any news on when they will be back in stock?

I'm down to my last battery after buying many over the years.

I cant find them for sale anywhere other than the cheapo Chinese ones you say are bad for the guitar.

It looks like they have been out of stock for a long time.

The whole world is out of everything, from computer chips to shoelaces. "Supply chain problems" are the new go-to excuse for the lack of pretty much anything. It's a great answer, too... possibly the best bull$h*t excuse ever devised, because as long as the item you're looking for materializes before the end of time, then whomever fed you that answer was "right". Good luck getting a response that isn't vague, unactionable nonsense...

We now return you to your regularly scheduled "new normal". Enjoy!

• Upvote 1

BTW, on a serious note, this situation is being annoying for EU people.

Both Variax batteries and Power Cable kit are impossible to find (ETAs are all BS), so for people without a VDI interface in the hardware and a dead battery - the variax is gonna be just an expensive guitar husk.

On 9/26/2022 at 2:15 AM, PierM said:

BTW, on a serious note, this situation is being annoying for EU people.

Both Variax batteries and Power Cable kit are impossible to find (ETAs are all BS), so for people without a VDI interface in the hardware and a dead battery - the variax is gonna be just an expensive guitar husk.

Read this thread. Someone built an internal power supply with parts you can still get on Amazon. I have not personally tried it. It does seem  a shame that the Variax was made with such a specialized power source. And even if I were to  get my hands on several to last me till I throw loose the mortal coil, I believe they lose their viability anyway just sitting on a shelf so it does me no good to be proactive and get one to replace the I have when it wears out.

• Upvote 1

On 9/27/2022 at 2:24 PM, brue58ski said:

Read this thread. Someone built an internal power supply with parts you can still get on Amazon. I have not personally tried it. It does seem  a shame that the Variax was made with such a specialized power source. And even if I were to  get my hands on several to last me till I throw loose the mortal coil, I believe they lose their capacity anyway just sitting on a shelf so it does me no good to be proactive and get one to replace the I have when it wears out.

Yes, the variax battery does lose its capacity just sitting on a shelf. Im also against stocking multiple batteries for that reason.

Recently I sold my Helix rack, which had the VDI interface providing also power. Now i only have the stomp, and main original battery is basically useless (does charge in 15 minutes, and last 10). I do have a third party amazon battery that Im using and works fine, but variax always been current hungry, so battery average duration is ridicolous.

I wish I could mod the Variax as I did with my Stratocaster EOB, using a recharchable battery pack from fishman, but provided current isnt enough.

I believe Im gonna build this adapter, so thank you for the reference thread. o/

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone had any luck finding a replacement battery? One of my batteries died completely (won't charge), one broke (the plastic container of the battery split apart), and the remaining one only holds a charge for a short while - not even long enough to get through a rehearsal.
I have searched everywhere online I can think of, and no one has any that I've found. This is a major problem :/

Parts and product are hung up in transit. When I know more, I'll let you all know.

DO NOT use substitutes that claim to be compatible, they are not. They are nothing but trouble. 

Use real Line 6 components,... and that also means batteries, no matter how tempted you are.

I want to keep your gear from showing up on my repair bench.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/9/2022 at 10:10 PM, magpie69 said:

Has anyone had any luck finding a replacement battery? One of my batteries died completely (won't charge), one broke (the plastic container of the battery split apart), and the remaining one only holds a charge for a short while - not even long enough to get through a rehearsal.
I have searched everywhere online I can think of, and no one has any that I've found. This is a major problem :/

I did found one on Amazon and works perfect, much better than the original. Does last way more and doesnt drop the charge when guitar is hanging on the wall.

I cant post here, as I dont think it's allowed, but there are alternatives out there. ;)

• Upvote 1

If it's that Sino whatever battery, don't use it. It's problems. May work good now, but later,....

Had a Variax show up with one, batt was dead, opened it, the protection circuit was a disappointment.

Stick with the actual part. Should be some in transit in the pipeline.

The chain is only as strong as its weakest link. I just don't have an ETA yet as it keeps changing due to glitches in the chain.

On 10/28/2022 at 6:28 PM, psarkissian said:

If it's that Sino whatever battery, don't use it. It's problems. May work good now, but later,....

Had a Variax show up with one, batt was dead, opened it, the protection circuit was a disappointment.

Stick with the actual part. Should be some in transit in the pipeline.

The chain is only as strong as its weakest link. I just don't have an ETA yet as it keeps changing due to glitches in the chain.

Man, give me a break lol!

My original battery is dead.

Original l6 batteries are non existent in the local market.

Original VDI adapter, non existent as well.

What exactly should I do to use my Variax?... :)

• Haha 1

On 10/30/2022 at 12:08 PM, PierM said:

Man, give me a break lol!

My original battery is dead.

Original l6 batteries are non existent in the local market.

Original VDI adapter, non existent as well.

What exactly should I do to use my Variax?... :)

Oh, what's the matter, not content with "eventually" as the official ETA? Hurry up and wait! LOL. 

Welcome to 2022: when all else fails, blame COVID. Like the virus itself, the excuse will be with us forever, lmao...

We now return you to your regularly scheduled "new normal"...(insert vomit emoji here).

• Haha 1

When I get an ETA, I can give an an ETA. Hate leaving you all hanging, and it means I'm

having the same issues when it comes to repair parts. Been like squeezing water from a stone for me too.

Has nothing to do with being a company man, has to do with keeping your gear from needlessly

ending up on my repair bench. Want to see you all out the rockin' away.

Shipping issues aside, I hope Line 6 plans on making these batteries for 20 years as that's how long I want to use my JTV Variax for. Highly unlikely I know. At the very least, find an option for us who have supported the Variax with our purchases. I'm glad I kept one of my original Variax's. At least I can use off the shelf batteries with it.

On 10/31/2022 at 6:58 PM, psarkissian said:

When I get an ETA, I can give an an ETA. Hate leaving you all hanging, and it means I'm

having the same issues when it comes to repair parts. Been like squeezing water from a stone for me too.

Has nothing to do with being a company man, has to do with keeping your gear from needlessly

ending up on my repair bench. Want to see you all out the rockin' away.

I do sincerely appreciate that, but my variax was grabbing dust since pandemic started...as I sold my Helix Rack which I was using with its VDI interface. I also have a FH 1500 but for some reason variax isn't working with it, and I can't even think to ship that 30Kg amp overseas for a check'n'repair.

Also, despite I do have something like 30 guitars, most of them expensive custom shop s++t, that variax has one of the best neck ever and I want to play it as much as I can. I've been probably lucky, but seriously that JTV 59 neck/fretboard is just bananas. :)

I've been looking into a replacement as well, as the health of mine is waning.  And as much as the "contact your local retailer" sounds good... I'm in Canada. We have one retailer replacement batteries seemed to have been available through, which is Long & McQuade.  And if I track down that page on their site, I'm greeted with nothing but the following message on that page:

"This product is no longer available."

Which is L&M's standard line when they're not carrying something anymore.  So as a Canadian Line 6 customer, I'm not just facing a long wait until it comes back in stock; I'm facing what Line 6 considers my official source for parts signaling that I'm S.O.L. for getting the components I need to keep my Variax working.

• 1 month later...

Ok, so it's now nearly 2023, the battery I need is still "Out of Stock". Anyone heard any news at all about when we might be able to get replacements? I only (yes, not very smart) had one battery, so my Variax is out of commission until I find one. While I can still use the guitar, that's not why I bought it.

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Can the battery for the JTV be used in the Standard Variax? A local store (UK) has 1 battery which they say is L6 genuine for the JTV and which is stated to have  a rated battery life of 12 hours. The Standard Variax battery seems to only have a 4 hour life. Can the JTV battery be safely used in the Standard? They certainly look outwardly identical. The store “advisor” seemed unsure.

On 1/18/2023 at 9:24 AM, RogerMunday said:

Can the battery for the JTV be used in the Standard Variax? A local store (UK) has 1 battery which they say is L6 genuine for the JTV and which is stated to have  a rated battery life of 12 hours. The Standard Variax battery seems to only have a 4 hour life. Can the JTV battery be safely used in the Standard? They certainly look outwardly identical. The store “advisor” seemed unsure.

Yes - they are the same battery.

On 6/16/2022 at 2:27 PM, psarkissian said:

Do not use 3rd party batteries, we can not vouch for other companies batteries, and all too often are unreliable.

Have had issues with those other batteries. Use only those with a Line 6 label on it. There are no authorized, 3rd party

compatibles out there.

Could you please elaborate on these issues?  You mentioned something about a protection circuit but no specifics.  Do they leak and corrode guitar internals?  Do they get hot?  Do they have too much power and overheat the guitar circuitry?  What is the physical reality of your objection?  I need a battery and I see them on Amazon.  What are the details of why I shouldn't pull the trigger and get some use out of my JTV?  I don't like the idea of having a guitar I can't use and being at the mercy of some unjustifiable "supply chain issue" that should no longer exist since the pandemic was reduced to endemic many months ago.  If it's merely a matter of being "authorized" that does not confront me in the slightest.  I have aftermarket pickups in guitars that are not authorized by the manufacturer and they work better than stock.  I have an unauthorized aftermarket neck on one of my Strats and it works better than stock.  Please give us an itemized list, in detail, of what these issues are.  Thank you for your time.

• Upvote 1

On 1/18/2023 at 2:50 PM, MGW-Alberta said:

Could you please elaborate on these issues?  You mentioned something about a protection circuit but no specifics.  Do they leak and corrode guitar internals?  Do they get hot?  Do they have too much power and overheat the guitar circuitry?  What is the physical reality of your objection?  I need a battery and I see them on Amazon.  What are the details of why I shouldn't pull the trigger and get some use out of my JTV?  I don't like the idea of having a guitar I can't use and being at the mercy of some unjustifiable "supply chain issue" that should no longer exist since the pandemic was reduced to endemic many months ago.  If it's merely a matter of being "authorized" that does not confront me in the slightest.  I have aftermarket pickups in guitars that are not authorized by the manufacturer and they work better than stock.  I have an unauthorized aftermarket neck on one of my Strats and it works better than stock.  Please give us an itemized list, in detail, of what these issues are.  Thank you for your time.

I have no actual specifics but essentially the official JTV Variax battery has a chip in it that regulates the battery in some way. I do not know if this is a Line 6 only propriety chip, or something you can get with some of the batteries that will fit in a JTV Variax. That's everything I know about this. My main hope is that when the JTV is dropped by Line 6, that they provide a way to continue to get the battery for the life of the guitar. Or at least my own lifespan. I've only got about 20-30 years left on this planet so it doesn't have to be forever. (haha) One of the great things about the previous Variax technology is it used AA's or even a 9volt if you were only playing for couple of hours.

There are two other batteryless options for the JTV Variax in case you didn't know about them. One is this but Line 6 does not make them anymore so you'd have to find a used one. Essentially you plug into it from your amp with a regular guitar cable, and, using a TRS cable, plug into the JTV Variax from the other jack

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/VariaxPwrKit--line-6-variax-cabled-power-kit

The other option is in here.

If you scroll down the thread you will find this picture I attached. He describes what he did and the thread will probabaly answere any other questions you have

You can find one of these regulators on Amazom here

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XTBR15W/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_10?smid=AFW951J7877QL&psc=1\

The first post in this thread refers to the older Variax's but further down the thread, someone tried it with a JTV and it worked.

Hope all of this helps.

power.jpg

Im also genuinely curious to know what's the risk of using third party batteries. Im asking as a guy who knows something about electronics, not a polemic intent, really curious.

As for protections, they ALL have regular ICs, such the standard package 8205, DW01 etc, to protect from overcharge, overcurrents and overdischarge, and to manage things like Load Detection, Current sensor, charger detection etc, . Exactly like the L6.

These "chips" are not optional for any Lithium/Polymer battery of that range and type. Without these protections a battery would blow up while charging.

I disassembled an original L6 Variax Battery. I cant see anything special from any other battery of that type. Even batteries are super standard ICR18650NH

I do understand the warranty warnings, but saying they will damage your variax is a bit of a bold statement, unless I see some proofs of this. :)

So I decided to do a quick search and could find no threads about a battery frying a Varaix. Several about non Line 6 batteries not working like the thread I attached but nothing about any batteries actually frying a Varaix. So that would be great if you are right and it looks like you probably are. Line 6 may just have to say that in case one of those non Line 6 batteries winds up frying a Varaix.

Also, I found something I had completely forgot about. If you are using a battery with your JTV, you are supposed to use a TRS to plug the guitar into an amp with. The explanation is

TRS engages the battery, TS can dribble away charge if what would be the ring, is not there to isolate +Vdc from the ground/return pin.

Most all, if not all of our amps use TRS on the input to accommodate either one.

TRS has become something of a de-facto standard for guitars with active powered circuitry since (at least)

the mid 1970's (when I was doing guitar mod's with active, mostly battery powered) circuitry.

That's from this thread

On 1/20/2023 at 1:33 PM, brue58ski said:

So I decided to do a quick search and could find no threads about a battery frying a Variax.

Correct.

But if you read above in this thread, have been said they don't want our Variax guitars to reach the repair bench, which does imply these batteries aren't safe for the variax electronics.

Also, you can read similar warnings on the variax FB group...but as you, I never found a single real story about this.

Lithium batteries are no joke when it's about overcharging, or something goes wrong during the charge/discharge process, especially on extremely tight installations (see smartphones, tablets catching fire etc...). So I'd really appreciate to know more about this.

No threads of fried batteries,... but I've had four come across my bench.

"... which does imply these batteries aren't safe for the Variax electronics. ", yes, very much so.

Seen more of that across my bench than I should.

Batteries are in the pipeline, don't have an ETA because it keeps shifting. CoVid infections at factories and logistics,

and China politics aren't helping any. Waiting for the back orders to be filled in. Try to keep you all apprised as best I can.

Wanted to follow back up on this -

I did end up trying one of the Chinese batteries off Amazon. Looked identical, specs identical, but the Variax wouldn’t even come on at all when it was plugged in. I was able to return it after a lot of back and forth with the seller, so at least it worked out alright, but I think as everyone has said, the non-Line6 batteries are a crapshoot. May work, may not. 

Right around the time this was all going on I happened to get an email from Sweetwater that they were in stock so I grabbed one. I feel like I got very lucky. 

This is a real issue for those of us that invested in these guitars. Maybe Line6 should look at building an adapter that would let you use off the shelf batteries in these. Or at a minimum get control of their supply chain - using a proprietary battery that is impossible to get is not a good look for the company. 

• 4 weeks later...