Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

MIDI controller for Catalyst 100

amarch

I am considering Line6 Catalyst amp for live performing. I want to use a midi foot controller to change presets just with 1 (or 2) foot touches. I have a Behringer FCB1010 (MIDI 5 pin IN and OUT).

Since Catalyst 60 doesn't have a MIDI 5 pin socket, I am forced to go for a 100, which costs 100€ more, but this is fine if I can get it to work

So, I would appreciate some hints on how to set up everything: the catalyst, the foot controller, defining the presets (using Catalyst Edit app, I suppose), and loading some presets into the amp (so I won't need the computer in live performance)

Maybe is there a manual on all that? 

Thanks

I've been using the FCB1010 for over 10 years to control all sorts of things.

I control my Catalyst with MIDI from my Helix but could easily configure the FCB to do it.

I can help you with this, but first a few questions:

Does your FCB have the stock chip or something else?

If something else then what?

How much experience do you have with MIDI?

IOW - do you know the types and functions of the various (basic) MIDI messages (PC and CC)?

What editor are you using? I won't even try to help you if you're not using an editor.

Not like it can't be done, I've just seen that movie too many times to want to see it again.

The best editor is the UNO_ControlCenter which costs <>$25 here:

FCB/UnO Control Center for the Behringer FCB1010

You can try using one of the free editors, but unless you value your time VERY cheaply, get the UNO_ControlCenter.

Yes, it will work with the stock chip. However, not all MIDI Interfaces will work with an editor.

What MIDI Interface are you using?

Awaiting your reply...

thanks, 

my answers:

stock chip

I used the FCB to change presets in Guitar Rig (hosted by REAPER)... but I can't remember how I achieved it. I used banks for several songs, one or more presets for every song

I played with basic midi messages in score notation software like Sibelius, Finale . Now I am on Musescore, but I haven't dealt with midi topics yet. For detailed browsing of a song (in MIDI format) I used Anvil Studio.

I thought I would only need the Catalyst Edit to be controlled from FCB 

thanks

Catalyst Edit merely loads what's on the Catalyst and allows you to configure it in a GUI.

What you're controlling with MIDI is the Catalyst itself.

You've listed a whole lot of stuff you might want to control.

You'll need to decide exactly how you want to use your FCB.

With the stock chip you can send 5 PC messages, 1 or 2 CC messages (depending upon exactly what type - only 1 if toggling) and 1 Note.

They can all be sent on different MIDI Channels, to control different HW/SW.

Complex and detailed strategy is required when using more than one HW/SW.

To control Catalyst you'll need at least 2 FCB Banks.

Here's what a very basic configuration might look like.

FCB Bank 00

FS5-10 select:

FS5 -   Cat Bank1 ChA

FS6 -   Cat Bank1 ChB

FS7 -   Cat Bank2 ChA

FS8 -   Cat Bank2 ChB

FS9 -   Cat Bank3 ChA

FS10 - Cat Bank3 ChB

FCB Bank 01 selects Catalyst Banks 4-6 A/B

In both FCB Banks:

FS1 Toggles GATE

FS2 Toggles BOOST

FS3 Toggles EFFECT

FS4 Toggles REVERB

Exp A = Volume

Exp B = Expression

Again, this is a very basic configuration, there's lots more you can do with MIDI and Catalyst but, as mentioned, you have some strategerizing to do!

115445812_CatalystBasicFCB.thumb.png.d859e77d39ed6a92d4cf4779e2c9ab49.png

On 6/22/2022 at 2:11 PM, amarch said:

thanks, I think I shall go for the FCB/UNO you mentioned

Keep in mind what I said about MIDI Interfaces. While the UNO_ControlCenter editor works fine with the stock FCB chip, it may or may not work with your MIDI interface, which you still haven't specified so I can't say either way.

Also and FYI, FCB/UNO usually refers to an FCB with the UNO chip.

If you haven't already, you should probably sign up here:

main@fcb1010.groups.io | Home

There's also an UNO group there should you decide to upgrade your chip.

• 1 year later...
On 6/22/2022 at 1:11 PM, amarch said:

thanks, I think I shall go for the FCB/UNO you mentioned

How have you made out?
I'm getting started down the same path you were on.

I have the Catalyst 100 and the FCB1010, and I'm quickly learning that I know nothing!
rd2rk sounds like h has a solid understanding, but I'm going to have to study up to comprehend the majority of the above.
My FCB1010 is right out of the box last week. I haven't done anything to it so I assume I have the stock chip
I'm looking at interfaces, but don't know which ones Jives with FCB/UNO..
Any advice?

On 2/22/2024 at 9:14 PM, brookfielder said:

How have you made out?
I'm getting started down the same path you were on.

I have the Catalyst 100 and the FCB1010, and I'm quickly learning that I know nothing!
rd2rk sounds like h has a solid understanding, but I'm going to have to study up to comprehend the majority of the above.
My FCB1010 is right out of the box last week. I haven't done anything to it so I assume I have the stock chip
I'm looking at interfaces, but don't know which ones Jives with FCB/UNO..
Any advice?

If you sign up at the FCB1010 forum I mentioned above, I'll be happy to help out. I have a different handle over there, but I'll probably be the one responding to Catalyst related questions and amp sim questions in general. Here's the link again:

main@fcb1010.groups.io | Home

As far as MIDI Interfaces go, this one is very reliable for use with the FCB:

https://www.amazon.com/iConnectivity-mio-1-out-MIDI-Interface/dp/B00CO5IRSG/ref=sr_1_8?crid=18HH60OGSY131&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.eTchxXwYvrLiaDTE7iNlmMSUOyPReW0Uqk-TISkK6YUC-1bu2t_Vk-wbIzEkdxYMoYbrvFHrgBrBL6CP3OKHqUk9yxg6tboP61-SNZuWOaiveRJAw3r9UO-uKzMi7mJ0v0Hapzeykpz5ZqAr9l67c_oG_pO6WyJxpcnvkw6b1iXIfihkvjT7dV0sr7mutkjj4z5L-h75RFOb3TlBMZ4qxPwrIcDX5d-J9D5xwhM77TxLaPm9cepo-VqzotBo2mHO5nxwoe322Qi4jOBV2o4Sn29PhDqIGKpYap98Ft8cxEo.vVBEE1p7_OKUiFhqFafD57YeL-p7a2dfvBQXOD6VMPo&dib_tag=se&keywords=midi+interface&qid=1708666853&s=musical-instruments&sprefix=midi+interface%2Cmi%2C152&sr=1-8

There're cheaper ones, but they're a crap shoot as to whether or not they'll work with a proper Editor.

For an editor I HIGHLY recommend the FCB_UNO Control Center:

FCB/UnO Control Center for the Behringer FCB1010

You can waste a lot of time with the FREE editors, this is the hands-down real-deal, and should you choose to get the UNO Chip, this is the only editor that works properly with it - because it comes from the same guy who created the chip. And NO, don't try to save a few bucks getting a pirate job on Flea-Bay. The creator of the chip and the editor is active on the aforementioned forum. Nice guy, goes by ossandust. Here's the link to the chip:

FCB1010 add-ons

It's not really necessary to use the FCB with Catalyst, but it's a cool mod and easy to do.

He also makes a more advanced version called UNO2 which will do most anything you could imagine using the FCB for, but now you're entering the realm of actual programming with real code vs a GUI like ControlCenter. It's a relatively simple programming language and the chip comes with an excellent Code Editor, but still, way more than you need at this point, just FYI.

Hope to see you over there!

On 2/25/2024 at 8:40 PM, brookfielder said:

@rd2rk I've got the interface, have joined the FCB group and the UnO group.

I've entered my plea there!

Great! Roger (site admin) usually approves new members within 24 hrs.

Meanwhile, food for thought.

--------------------------------------------------------

Configuration #1

Using the stock FCB Chip to control Catalyst you'll need at least 2 FCB Banks.

Here's what a very basic configuration might look like.

FCB Bank 00

FS1 - Cat Bank1 ChA

FS2 - Cat Bank1 ChB

FS3 - Cat Bank2 ChA

FS4 - Cat Bank2 ChB

FS6 - Cat Bank3 ChA

FS7 - Cat Bank3 ChB

FS8 - Cat Bank4 ChA

FS9 - Cat Bank4 ChB

FCB Bank 01

FS1-4 selects Catalyst Banks 5/6 Channels A/B

In both FCB Banks:

Exp A = Volume

Exp B = Expression

---------------------------------------------------------

To accomplish the above you'll need to read the FCB User's guide to learn how the manual configuration works.

You can also manage it using one of the FREE editors.

Configuration #2

Another way to configure the stock FCB for Catalyst (using the manual method only) is to set it up so that each FCB Bank loads both Catalyst Channels of a Catalyst Bank with toggling of all 4 of the above-mentioned catalyst functions (gate, boost, effect and reverb) using TOGGLING ON/OFF switches.

FCB Bank 00

FS1 - Cat Bank1 ChA

FS2-5 Toggle the 4 functions

FS6 - Cat Bank1 ChB

FS7-10 Toggle the 4 functions

FCB Bank 01

FS1 - Cat Bank2 ChA

FS2-5 Toggle the 4 functions

FS6 - Cat Bank2 ChB

FS7-10 Toggle the 4 functions

FCB Bank 02 

etc.

The drawback here being that since there's only 10 Banks, you only get to use 5 Catalyst Banks with A/B Channels - IOW 10 Channels.

If you aren't already convinced, after you mess with the manual configuration for a couple of hours you'll understand why so many FCB users opt for the UNO upgrade.

Using the UNO Chip, each FCB Bank can load 2xA/B (4 Cat Channels) and every FCB Bank automatically has 5 Toggling Stomp switches.

After you've used the FREE editors you'll understand why most users get the FCB_ControlCenter even if they only use the stock chip.

Using ControlCenter, configuration is a breeze and transferring the configuration from editor to FCB is likewise a breeze.

Presets and Stomp switches can be on either row (top or bottom) and swapped on demand with a single option setting.

Screenshot of UNO/Cat Configuration attached.

In case you're wondering, no, I don't get anything for convincing you to go UNO except the personal satisfaction of knowing I've saved another person's sanity and made their use of whatever device or SW they're using a pleasure rather than an ordeal. 

Anyhow, looking forward to seeing you over there!

FCB-Cat UNO Configuration.png

On 2/26/2024 at 10:49 AM, brookfielder said:

Brilliant! Thank you.

my current struggle is downloading the editor.

my Mac is treating the download as suspicious and I haven’t found a way to get around that yet.

Post this (and further related) over on the FCB forum where ossandust or someone with a MAC will see it and be able to help. I don't use MAC so I have no clue how to fix that.