Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Connectivity Question

husker37

Apologies if this is a simple question.  I have  a Helix HX Stomp that I use as a send/return from my audio interface (Motu AVB system)

I connect the stereo pair output into a pair of inputs on a Motu, and the return outputs of the Moto into the stereo inputs of the XL.   I route whatever I want (guitar, synth, etc) either through the Motu interface or via Cubase.  I basically use the Helix as an external effects unit, and it works well.

I'm looking at upgrading to the Helix rack.  Looking through the manual, I see a stereo pair of outputs, but no inputs (only a Mic In and an Aux in.  Am I missing something?  Is that role of what is labeled "Sends/Returns" on the rack?

Thank you.

There's no equivalent "AUX" Inputs (the aux input is mono for a second instrument).

I'm not familiar with the Motu AVB, but a quick look at the manual shows SPDIF Out, and the Rack has SPDIF IN, so that can be used as a Path Input.

For other purposes you'd need to use a Stereo Return Block and a pair of returns (2 of the 4 available) which can be placed anywhere in the signal path or used as a Path Input.

On 6/22/2022 at 1:50 PM, rd2rk said:

There's no equivalent "AUX" Inputs (the aux input is mono for a second instrument).

I'm not familiar with the Motu AVB, but a quick look at the manual shows SPDIF Out, and the Rack has SPDIF IN, so that can be used as a Path Input.

For other purposes you'd need to use a Stereo Return Block and a pair of returns (2 of the 4 available) which can be placed anywhere in the signal path or used as a Path Input.

SPDif is definitely an option, I run my Eventide Eclipse that way.  Was just hoping for some 1/4" in/out. 

Thank you.

On 6/22/2022 at 1:00 PM, husker37 said:

SPDif is definitely an option, I run my Eventide Eclipse that way.  Was just hoping for some 1/4" in/out. 

Thank you.

The SEND/RETURNs are 1/4".

• Upvote 1

On 6/22/2022 at 8:00 PM, husker37 said:

Was just hoping for some 1/4" in/out. 

Uh?

The Helix Rack has 4 pairs of 1/4” jack sockets labelled as SENDS/RETURNS. Each can operate independently or as an FX Loop pair. Also there is a stereo SPDIF IN/OUT connection available. Basically stacks more options for hooking stuff up than your HX Stomp.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

On 6/22/2022 at 9:32 PM, husker37 said:

I have to add a block in the preset?

Hi,

No, not at all.

As stated by “rd2rk” in the post above, you just need to set the RETURN as the regular input block. You can then add up to 32 blocks dedicated to whatever FX you require.

You said that you had been checking the manual for the Helix Rack, it explains how to set the input block on page 26.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

EDIT:

As you already have the MOTU, why do you need to go back out of Cubase (or any other DAW) to a hardware unit such as the Rack, when you can access all the power of a full Helix (and more if you turn off hardware compatibility) by simply using Helix Native as a plug-in? 

Available to you as a registered HX Stomp XL owner for $99.99

Just a thought.

Edited by datacommando
Added comment

Thank you all for your help.  What I should probably do is test this on the HX stomp.  However, the simpler thing to do is probably look at using the SPDif.

datacommando:  Fair points and questions.  I actually own Helix Native, and do use it on occasion.   I'm an IT guy by trade, and I just stare at a computer all day.  I really like being able to set things up so that I don't actually have to boot up a computer.  Sometime, I just want to play around with synths and guitars.  :)

I set up my Motu to have various presets (route this to this, but also route this to this) so that I can play a guitar or synth through whatever I want, without having to use a computer.

Again, really appreciate the responses here.  Thank you.

• Thanks 1