Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Using LT as my DAW interface. Can it send midi via keyboard to control a soft synth in pro tools?

boynigel

I'm using my LT as an audio interface with protools.  I have a keyboard hooked up to the midi in of the LT with the hopes of being able to use it to control a mellotron plugin within a protools session.  If this can be done, what should my midi settings be?  I've been messing around with them in the Global menu but I can't get the keyboard to trigger the soft synth in PT.

Turn on MIDI THRU and MIDI over USB.

Be aware that sometimes using it this way with a MIDI KB causes a - what's it called? - when the NOTE ON gets stuck?

I get around this by connecting my KB via USB. You'll need a DIN to USB interface cable if your KB (like mine) is too old to have USB.

Fortunately, even the Chinese cheapies work for this purpose.

EDIT: I hadn't tried this in a while so I just did and it worked fine. Try it first before going the USB interface route. 

• Upvote 1

I did that but PT still isn't receiving midi data.  I'm reluctant to go the usb route as I've heard stories of usb to usb C adapters frying the usb C ports on my computer (M1 Mac Studio).  If I can do it w/the OG midi cables, that's preferred.

On 6/22/2022 at 6:03 PM, rd2rk said:

Turn on MIDI THRU and MIDI over USB.

Be aware that sometimes using it this way with a MIDI KB causes a - what's it called? - when the NOTE ON gets stuck?

I get around this by connecting my KB via USB. You'll need a DIN to USB interface cable if your KB (like mine) is too old to have USB.

Fortunately, even the Chinese cheapies work for this purpose.

EDIT: I hadn't tried this in a while so I just did and it worked fine. Try it first before going the USB interface route. 

any chance you could share more than the two aforementioned midi settings?  I have no idea what MIDI PC Receive, MIDI PC Send, and others should be set to.  I've been trying all different kinds of settings but nothing works.  As far as protools goes, everything looks good there.  I'm definitely not going the usb interface route.

On 6/22/2022 at 11:39 PM, boynigel said:

I have no idea what MIDI PC Receive, MIDI PC Send, and others should be set to.  I've been trying all different kinds of settings but nothing works.

Hi,

All you need to do is connect the MIDI OUT DIN from you Controller Keyboard to the MIDI IN DIN socket on the rear of the Helix LT. Then you have to go to the Global settings for MIDI where you turn on “MIDI THRU” and set MIDI over USB.

The MIDI note on/off and other info (aftertouch, modulation etc.) will be passed through the Helix to your DAW on whatever MIDI channel your DAW is set to receive from. IIRC the Helix default is MIDI channel 1 so ensure your keyboard transmits on the same channel, although you can set this to whatever you like as long as everything matches. You can have 16 channels of MIDI info at the same time, but just like making a CB radio call, everything needs to send and receive on the same channel or they cannot respond.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

That's all you need to make it happen.

I hate ProTools and haven't had it on my computer for a while. I reinstalled PTFirst just to see if you'd have problems. It automatically configured itself to receive MIDI, and the default project (Electronica) with a synth bass track plays. This is using Helix as MIDI Interface set as I described.

My MIDI BASE CHANNEL is set to the default of 1.

RECEIVE MIDI CLOCK = MIDI

SEND MIDI CLOCK = OFF

Have you got your sample rates matched? Helix default is 48 but PTF set it at 44.1 so I had to change that.

MIDI PC SEND controls whether or not the default MIDI PC# is sent when a preset loads.

MIDI PC Receive controls whether or not Helix RECEIVES MIDI PC#s or just CC#s.

Those are unrelated to the issue.

On 6/23/2022 at 12:17 AM, rd2rk said:

I hate ProTools and haven't had it on my computer for a while.

Oh, ye gods - I’ve just noticed it’s ProTools. 

I concur- I hate it too, and I removed it for good quite recently. 

I have a whole bunch of different DAWs on my Mac simply for troubleshooting stuff, but PT is a waste of space.

Actually, I don’t hate it - I despise it!

• Haha 1

On 6/22/2022 at 7:17 PM, rd2rk said:

That's all you need to make it happen.

I hate ProTools and haven't had it on my computer for a while. I reinstalled PTFirst just to see if you'd have problems. It automatically configured itself to receive MIDI, and the default project (Electronica) with a synth bass track plays. This is using Helix as MIDI Interface set as I described.

My MIDI BASE CHANNEL is set to the default of 1.

RECEIVE MIDI CLOCK = MIDI

SEND MIDI CLOCK = OFF

Have you got your sample rates matched? Helix default is 48 but PTF set it at 44.1 so I had to change that.

MIDI PC SEND controls whether or not the default MIDI PC# is sent when a preset loads.

MIDI PC Receive controls whether or not Helix RECEIVES MIDI PC#s or just CC#s.

Those are unrelated to the issue.

I matched all those settings.  still nothing.  thanks for your time though

On 6/22/2022 at 7:12 PM, datacommando said:

Hi,

All you need to do is connect the MIDI OUT DIN from you Controller Keyboard to the MIDI IN DIN socket on the rear of the Helix LT. Then you have to go to the Global settings for MIDI where you turn on “MIDI THRU” and set MIDI over USB.

The MIDI note on/off and other info (aftertouch, modulation etc.) will be passed through the Helix to your DAW on whatever MIDI channel your DAW is set to receive from. IIRC the Helix default is MIDI channel 1 so ensure your keyboard transmits on the same channel, although you can set this to whatever you like as long as everything matches. You can have 16 channels of MIDI info at the same time, but just like making a CB radio call, everything needs to send and receive on the same channel or they cannot respond.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

yep, did all that w/the same result.  thanks for trying.

• Like 1

On 6/22/2022 at 7:29 PM, datacommando said:

Oh, ye gods - I’ve just noticed it’s ProTools. 

I concur- I hate it too, and I removed it for good quite recently. 

I have a whole bunch of different DAWs on my Mac simply for troubleshooting stuff, but PT is a waste of space.

Actually, I don’t hate it - I despise it!

Before I updated to the latest version of PT, I contemplated going w/another DAW but after 22 years I figured I'd stick w/the evil I know.  there's enough outside distractions that can squash creative flow, I don't need it from my DAW too.  this is my first hiccup w/the new version.

On 6/23/2022 at 1:11 AM, boynigel said:

I updated to the latest version of PT

Oh, why does this forum not have emojis? O.K. Can we simply visualise “palm face”?

I only once (many years back) had real bad MIDI issues when trying to use my Helix Floor, a Roland Controller keyboard and Logic Pro. I got really annoyed with everything not working as expected, anyhow the long and short of it was it turned out to be a faulty keyboard. If you know your Helix communicated fine with PT previously then you need to check the keyboard is actually functioning correctly, other wise this could be a never ending “rabbit hole”. If the helix works as expected - rule it out, if the keyboard performs MIDI functions normally - rule it out. If the update to PT has bugs, then you won’t get anywhere till it’s fixed. You need a process of elimination. Plus check the MIDI cables.

Should have taken the blue pill!

On 6/22/2022 at 8:30 PM, datacommando said:

Oh, why does this forum not have emojis? O.K. Can we simply visualise “palm face”?

I only once (many years back) had real bad MIDI issues when trying to use my Helix Floor, a Roland Controller keyboard and Logic Pro. I got really annoyed with everything not working as expected, anyhow the long and short of it was it turned out to be a faulty keyboard. If you know your Helix communicated fine with PT previously then you need to check the keyboard is actually functioning correctly, other wise this could be a never ending “rabbit hole”. If the helix works as expected - rule it out, if the keyboard performs MIDI functions normally - rule it out. If the update to PT has bugs, then you won’t get anywhere till it’s fixed. You need a process of elimination. Plus check the MIDI cables.

Should have taken the blue pill!

two different midi cables.  This would be the first time I've used helix w/PT.  I had a 2012 MBP that gave up the ghost about 2 years ago and I've been on recording hiatus ever since.  I was running a very old version of PT.  early 10 if I had to guess.  New machine (Mac M1 Max Studio), newest PT version (12), and new interface (Helix).  Without getting winded as to my reasons, I had to start from scratch.  my keyboard WAS communicating fine with my old version of PT via my box 2 pro firewire interface.    Maybe I should bite the bullet and get a small KB controller and go the usb route.  My current controller is an 88-key monstrosity anyway.

On 6/22/2022 at 6:44 PM, boynigel said:

two different midi cables.  This would be the first time I've used helix w/PT.  I had a 2012 MBP that gave up the ghost about 2 years ago and I've been on recording hiatus ever since.  I was running a very old version of PT.  early 10 if I had to guess.  New machine (Mac M1 Max Studio), newest PT version (12), and new interface (Helix).  Without getting winded as to my reasons, I had to start from scratch.  my keyboard WAS communicating fine with my old version of PT via my box 2 pro firewire interface.    Maybe I should bite the bullet and get a small KB controller and go the usb route.  My current controller is an 88-key monstrosity anyway.

If you want a smaller KB, well, far be it from me to discourage GAS!

But FIRST establish that the KB that sent MIDI in the past STILL sends MIDI! That starts with a MIDI Monitor.

Once you have the MIDI Monitor installed, go into CommandCenter and configure a FS to send a MIDI NOTE.

That won't eliminate the THRU function as the culprit, but if there's no MIDI at the computer sending a NOTE from Helix I'd suspect a rotten Apple!

If there's still no MIDI from the KB

at the computer using Helix as the interface, then if you still have the MIDI Interface that you used before Helix try with that.

If there's still no MIDI you've eliminated everything but the KB.

Borrow something that sends MIDI and start over with the process of elimination.

@datacommando - is there a special MAC MIDI Driver for Helix that he needs?

On 6/22/2022 at 4:14 PM, boynigel said:

I did that but PT still isn't receiving midi data.  I'm reluctant to go the usb route as I've heard stories of usb to usb C adapters frying the usb C ports on my computer (M1 Mac Studio).  If I can do it w/the OG midi cables, that's preferred.

I don't understand this - the cable I'm talking about is something like this:

AmazonSmile: iConnectivity The First C (and USB A) Type Mac, PC, iOS, and Android Compatible MIDI Interface (mioXC) : Everything Else

There's cheaper ones, but this is the brand I use (USB A version) and it's dependable for all purposes.

On 6/22/2022 at 9:18 PM, rd2rk said:

If you want a smaller KB, well, far be it from me to discourage GAS!

But FIRST establish that the KB that sent MIDI in the past STILL sends MIDI! That starts with a MIDI Monitor.

Once you have the MIDI Monitor installed, go into CommandCenter and configure a FS to send a MIDI NOTE.

That won't eliminate the THRU function as the culprit, but if there's no MIDI at the computer sending a NOTE from Helix I'd suspect a rotten Apple!

If there's still no MIDI from the KB

at the computer using Helix as the interface, then if you still have the MIDI Interface that you used before Helix try with that.

If there's still no MIDI you've eliminated everything but the KB.

Borrow something that sends MIDI and start over with the process of elimination.

I don't understand this - the cable I'm talking about is something like this:

AmazonSmile: iConnectivity The First C (and USB A) Type Mac, PC, iOS, and Android Compatible MIDI Interface (mioXC) : Everything Else

There's cheaper ones, but this is the brand I use (USB A version) and it's dependable for all purposes.

it seems the problem might be with my keyboard.  when I did the test via Command Center and FS to send a midi note, it worked.  I could see the info being recorded on the midi monitor app.  But when I turned on my KB,  the window started rapidly filling up with F8 messages from my KB as if someone was hammering out 64th notes on whatever key sends an F8 message.  while that was happening, if I hit any of the KB keys I could see those notes register on the screen in between the million F8's per-second that were filling the window non-stop.  it's like something is jammed on my KB that keeps sending rapid fire F8 messages.

Btw- regarding my adapter comment that you didn't understand, regarding frying usb c ports,  I was talking about one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/Syntech-Adapter-Thunderbolt-Compatible-MacBook/dp/B07CVX3516/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=usb%2Bto%2Busb%2Bc%2Badapter&qid=1655954803&sr=8-3&th=1

On 6/22/2022 at 9:30 PM, boynigel said:

it seems the problem might be with my keyboard.  when I did the test via Command Center and FS to send a midi note, it worked.  I could see the info being recorded on the midi monitor app.  But when I turned on my KB,  the window started rapidly filling up with F8 messages from my KB as if someone was hammering out 64th notes on whatever key sends an F8 message.  while that was happening, if I hit any of the KB keys I could see those notes register on the screen in between the million F8's per-second that were filling the window non-stop.  it's like something is jammed on my KB that keeps sending rapid fire F8 messages.

Btw- regarding my adapter comment that you didn't understand, regarding frying usb c ports,  I was talking about one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/Syntech-Adapter-Thunderbolt-Compatible-MacBook/dp/B07CVX3516/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=usb%2Bto%2Busb%2Bc%2Badapter&qid=1655954803&sr=8-3&th=1

That's the "stuck note" thing I referred to. IDK why this happens, it may be a setting in your KB.

What is the exact model of your KB?

The adapter you linked to is not what you need.

Did you follow my Amazon link? That's what you need.

Tell me about your KB first though, maybe we can get it working with Helix.

On 6/22/2022 at 11:54 PM, rd2rk said:

That's the "stuck note" thing I referred to. IDK why this happens, it may be a setting in your KB.

What is the exact model of your KB?

The adapter you linked to is not what you need.

Did you follow my Amazon link? That's what you need.

Tell me about your KB first though, maybe we can get it working with Helix.

Yep, Yamaha.  it's sixteen year old P-90 Electric Piano.  I did follow your link and will use if necessary.  Regarding my Yamaha, I checked the manual and it really didn't offer too much in terms of troubleshooting midi.  not the best written manual either.

https://www.wwbw.com/Yamaha-P90-Professional-Portable-Stage-Piano-707440.wwbw

Edited by boynigel
forgot to add something

Nobody's computer has had a serial port since the dark ages, so I assume there's nothing connected to the HOST Port.

I'm also assuming there's nothing connected to the MIDI IN Port.

Set the switch by the MIDI Port to MIDI.

If you have a sustain pedal, connect it. The troubleshooting section of the P90 manual mentions possible problems in this area.

If you don't have a sustain pedal a dummy 1/4" plug might work, worth a try. Or any momentary FS. BOSS FS pedals have a polarity switch you could try.

IIRC, a sustain pedal works by delaying the MIDI NOTE OFF message (NOTE# + Value <64). I could be wrong about that.

Can you see that message occurring in the MIDI Monitor?

If possible, take a screenshot of your MIDI Monitor screen and attach it to your reply so I can (hopefully) see what the P90 is actually sending.

Unfortunately, like many things MAC, the MIDI Monitors I've seen simplify the readout to the point of near uselessness.

If there are any display options in your MIDI Monitor, make sure they're all on. If there's a HEX option turn it OFF.

I don't speak HEX. I can translate it but it's a PITA.

Hopefully this will give me some more info.

It's possible that the P90 is transmitting so much data at such a high rate that it's overwhelming the MIDI THRU capability of the Helix.

It's also possible that you've been cursed by an evil witch, but we'll cross that stream when we get there :-).

It's late now, I'll look into it more tomorrow when I have the screenshot.

• Upvote 1

On 6/23/2022 at 5:08 AM, boynigel said:

it's sixteen year old P-90 Electric Piano.

Along with all the other suggestions from “rd2rk”, you could do a factory reset on the P-90. Turn off the power, hold down the highest white key on the far right while turning the power back on. Now it should be like it was straight out of the box.

• Upvote 1

On 6/23/2022 at 2:18 AM, rd2rk said:

Not that I’m aware of, installing HX Edit should take care of all those things. 

But,  those To Host connection options are ancient. I still have an old (1993) Yamaha CBX-T3 General MIDI box with those connections. It’s sitting on a shelf over in the corner as a conversation piece. Most folks say -“wtf is that?”

https://www.muzines.co.uk/articles/yamaha-hello-music/7650

If “boynigel” can establish communication between the Yamaha and ProTools directly then he can add the Helix back in and using the previous info about MIDI Thru, he should be good to go.

Once again - Apple screws stuff up by changing everything to how they want to work. I got stiffed by buying an iMac that has Thunderbolt 2 ports. Even Apple don’t support Thunderbolt 2 to USB, FireWire or whatever -it was dead before it hit the streets.

On 6/23/2022 at 7:29 AM, datacommando said:

Along with all the other suggestions from “rd2rk”, you could do a factory reset on the P-90. Turn off the power, hold down the highest white key on the far right while turning the power back on. Now it should be like it was straight out of the box.

this was the first thing I tried as it was potentially the quickest/easiest fix, but no, it wasn't the fix.  I was a little concerned that when I did the procedure, nothing special happened w/the KB's display indicating that a reset had occurred.  maybe this is by design, but literally every piece of gear I've ever done this on, no matter how old, would at the very least blink the display (in the absence of any actual confirmation message).

On 6/23/2022 at 1:31 AM, rd2rk said:

Nobody's computer has had a serial port since the dark ages, so I assume there's nothing connected to the HOST Port.

If you have a sustain pedal, connect it. The troubleshooting section of the P90 manual mentions possible problems in this area.

If you don't have a sustain pedal a dummy 1/4" plug might work, worth a try. Or any momentary FS. BOSS FS pedals have a polarity switch you could try.

IIRC, a sustain pedal works by delaying the MIDI NOTE OFF message (NOTE# + Value <64). I could be wrong about that.

If possible, take a screenshot of your MIDI Monitor screen and attach it to your reply so I can (hopefully) see what the P90 is actually sending.

Unfortunately, like many things MAC, the MIDI Monitors I've seen simplify the readout to the point of near uselessness.

If there are any display options in your MIDI Monitor, make sure they're all on. If there's a HEX option turn it OFF.

It's possible that the P90 is transmitting so much data at such a high rate that it's overwhelming the MIDI THRU capability of the Helix.

It's also possible that you've been cursed by an evil witch, but we'll cross that stream when we get there :-).

nothing connected to the host port, nothing connected to midi in port.  the switch was always in the MIDI position, I even slid it back and forth a few times in case the connection got wonky.  Optimistically tried the sustain pedal (yes, it's Yamaha's own) to no avail.  I CAN see the pedal being actuated via the midi monitor I have (see pic).  You're right about MAC MIDI monitors.  going to the App Store to see if I can find one that offers more info than the one in the pic.  

I support your evil witch theory because all of this changeover to new gear was going wayyyy too smoothly up until this incident.

IMG_5647.jpg

On 6/23/2022 at 1:31 AM, rd2rk said:

I just downloaded a different midi monitor, pic attached.  As a best guess, I switched the "display midi notes as" box from hex to decimal.  the other display choices were, note (mid C = C3, or, note (mid C = C4).  let me know if any of those are preferred.

IMG_5648.jpg

On 6/23/2022 at 3:18 PM, boynigel said:

I was a little concerned that when I did the procedure, nothing special happened w/the KB's display indicating that a reset had occurred.

Hmm... that's a little odd.

I don't have access to a P90 , but my understanding of the Reset procedure for Yamaha digital pianos is when you power up holding down the right most white key for 2 or 3 seconds, any keyboard with a display screen should give an indication of the reset taking place, or having completed. Maybe the keyboard has gone flakey, it hard to diagnose via text.

Did you try taking the Helix LT out of the equation, and only connect the Yamaha to your Mac with a MIDI (DIN) to USB. I guess you must have your Helix connected to the Mac Studio on USB? If the keyboard can send MIDI to the Mac, then it should be easy enough to get it to hook up through your Helix. If the keyboard has gone screwy, it may be time for a change.

On 6/23/2022 at 10:55 AM, datacommando said:

Hmm... that's a little odd.

I don't have access to a P90 , but my understanding of the Reset procedure for Yamaha digital pianos is when you power up holding down the right most white key for 2 or 3 seconds, any keyboard with a display screen should give an indication of the reset taking place, or having completed. Maybe the keyboard has gone flakey, it hard to diagnose via text.

Did you try taking the Helix LT out of the equation, and only connect the Yamaha to your Mac with a MIDI (DIN) to USB. I guess you must have your Helix connected to the Mac Studio on USB? If the keyboard can send MIDI to the Mac, then it should be easy enough to get it to hook up through your Helix. If the keyboard has gone screwy, it may be time for a change.

Okay, regarding the KB reset, the 2nd time was the charm.  This time I was greeted by the message, Clr.  However, the problem persists.  I don't have the cabling needed to take the Helix out of the equation as I've never needed a MIDI to USB until now.

That said, now that we know that the Yamaha is the culprit, is there any good reason why this wouldn't work for me?

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Arturia/KeyStep-Limited-Black-Edition-1500000048425.gc

I am NOT a piano/keys player.  I bought the Yamaha back when I had a bandmate who could actually play keys.  I just need a small controller for my plugin synths for when I want to add some atmosphere or texture (versus an actual keys "performance") to a recording, and was contemplating purchase of a small controller that I could keep on my desktop long before the Yamaha wigged out.  the nice thing about the KB in the link is that it has actual MIDI DIN ports, so no adapters necessary.

On 6/23/2022 at 4:10 PM, boynigel said:

the nice thing about the KB in the link is that it has actual MIDI DIN ports, so no adapters necessary.

That should do it, if that is all you require.

Arturia make some great Keyboard controllers, I have the Keylab 61, although it connects via an extra USB port on my Behringer XTouch Universal Control Surface and then I have the Helix on its own dedicated USB port on the iMac. Easiest set up that I have ever had. The XTouch does the automated mixing, the Keylab handles all the synth/sample libraries, and the Helix handles all the audio in and out with zero latency, because my Tannoy monitors are connected to the Helix XLRs.

• Like 1

On 6/23/2022 at 11:33 AM, datacommando said:

That should do it, if that is all you require.

Arturia make some great Keyboard controllers, I have the Keylab 61, although it connects via an extra USB port on my Behringer XTouch Universal Control Surface and then I have the Helix on its own dedicated USB port on the iMac. Easiest set up that I have ever had. The XTouch does the automated mixing, the Keylab handles all the synth/sample libraries, and the Helix handles all the audio in and out with zero latency, because my Tannoy monitors are connected to the Helix XLRs.

Well I think that's the route I'm gonna go then.  It'll be money well spent, and I won't have to have the Yamaha taking up all that space in my small home studio anymore.  Big thanks to you and @rd2rk for your time and expertise.  If I weren't already considering downsizing, I'd probably fight it out w/the Yamaha some more, via the MIDI to USB adapter route suggested, but this situation gave me that extra push to go small, sooner.  thanks again.

• Like 1

Just verify that the keystep does MIDI over USB, not just using the DIN ports.

After looking at your screenshots I'm more convinced than ever that the problem has to do with running the P90 through Helix.

IDK why that should be. I use my KB same as you (NOT a keys player), and my Seiko DS-250 dates from the 1980s!

As I said above, I had a similar problem at one time. I just spent a few minutes swapping all of my various MIDI connections around, IN/OUT/THRU/AROUND/OVER and DOWN trying to replicate the problem and couldn't! Whatever I did to fix the problem so long ago fixed it good!

Could also be that MS improved it's MIDI handling in some update or other, it's not like the Gods of Redmond would deign to tell us mortals something like that...

Now, why PT doesn't connect is another story. When I had the problem, whatever softsynth I was using would just lock up with the note playing.

But that was Reaper. Did I mention how much I hate PT?

Though, while I hate to defend it, when I reinstalled PTF it automatically recognized all 7 of my MIDI controllers and set them up to work with it.

That's something that neither Reaper nor Ableton will do!

• Like 1

On 6/23/2022 at 5:44 PM, rd2rk said:

Just verify that the keystep does MIDI over USB, not just using the DIN ports.

The USB port allows for standard class-compliant bus-powered operation.

Connect an optional USB power adaptor to use KeyStep in a standalone situation.

MIDI over USB and DIN IN/OUT, Aftertouch, Velocity, Clock I/O.

It should just work.

Spec - here:

https://www.arturia.com/products/keystep/overview

On 6/23/2022 at 5:06 PM, boynigel said:

It'll be money well spent,

Oh, yes it will - I have just seen the software that comes with it - Analog Lab Intro, 28 Classic Instruments and 500 presets and Ableton Lite.

https://www.arturia.com/products/software-instruments/analoglab-intro/overview?gclid=Cj0KCQjwntCVBhDdARIsAMEwACl3__xbPQkBb481PIFZ98zrMiqpaQQlqsDhszX4VobmB_ZgO6IuwPUaAtsCEALw_wcB

Fairlight, Emulator, Jupiter, DX 7, this thing ships with all the basic units that I have in the V Collection which retails IRO 600 euros. Enjoy.

• Like 1

On 6/23/2022 at 12:44 PM, rd2rk said:

Did I mention how much I hate PT?

haters gonna hate LOL...seriously though, I get it.  I came REALLY close to walking away from PT myself.  specifically looked into Reaper and Logic.  When I saw just as many issues/problems in their respective user groups as PT, I decided to (again) stick w/the evil I know.  I'm old, so I've been w/PT since the 001 days.  I know they go back further but I couldn't afford TDM back then.  001 was my gateway.  

I'm aware PT got complacent, allowing others to eclipse them but when I found that what the others offered wasn't necessarily anything I needed/wanted.  Didn't want to have to learn a new ecosystem.  and yes, I'm paying more w/PT but not having to pay them $10/mo wouldn't change my financial future if I chose another platform.

On 6/23/2022 at 1:21 PM, datacommando said:

The USB port allows for standard class-compliant bus-powered operation.

Connect an optional USB power adaptor to use KeyStep in a standalone situation.

MIDI over USB and DIN IN/OUT, Aftertouch, Velocity, Clock I/O.

It should just work.

Spec - here:

https://www.arturia.com/products/keystep/overview

it should, and it did work!  plug and play.  went usb route after all because the Arturia didn't come w/its own power supply (!!!) so I dug out an old USB hub and plugged it into my Mac keyboard to gain an extra port.  I'm superstitious and didn't want to tempt fate by plugging the old hub directly into the Mac.  I thought maybe there'd be a chance of it performing poorly since I was putting it through the keyboard, but it doesn't...so that's good too.  at the end of the day it's just midi data so why would it?...but stranger things have happened, and thankfully they didn't.  thanks again.  learned a lot.

IMG_5650.jpg

• Upvote 1

On 6/23/2022 at 7:54 PM, boynigel said:

it should, and it did work!  plug and play.

Yay!

Solved!

Damn, that is one quick decision - up a running already.

Oh, yeah, the Arturia Mellotron model is very good too.

Enjoy.