Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Midi/Command Center question

ichasedx

I'm in the process of setting up my new pedalboard which I use the Helix as a midi controller for 2 pedals, Timeline and Big sky. I went through all the factory presets, selected my favorites, then assigned each to a snapshot within presets,(Reverb1,2... / Delay 1,2...). I did this so I could easily switch to various effects while experimenting with different sounds. 

My question...Is it possible to have access to a snapshot within a different preset than you are in? I would basically like to have the ability to select any combination of snapshots, from different presets? (reverb/delay).

Or...did I go about this wrong?

Thanks as always,

Mike

On 6/23/2022 at 6:50 AM, ichasedx said:

My question...Is it possible to have access to a snapshot within a different preset than you are in? I would basically like to have the ability to select any combination of snapshots, from different presets? (reverb/delay).

Not using CommandCenter. You would need a MIDI controller that was capable of sending more than one MIDI Command at a time.

For instance:

CC#0 Value 7 + PC#33 + CC#69 Value 3

Would call Bank #6 Preset #33 Snapshot 4.

You would then need to set up another FS on the controller to go wherever you wanted to go next.

This is not a very simple thing to configure, as it requires a lot of strategery on your part.

Then changing it all to accommodate the setlist and songs.

And then being able to recall in the heat of battle which FS sends you where THIS week.

Hitting the "ambient" FS for a blues solo would be embarrassing at best!

• Upvote 1

The thing you have to get clear in your head about snapshots and presets is that snapshots are ALWAYS a subset of functions WITHIN a given preset.  If you were to do as rd2rk mentioned above you would be, in effect, changing the preset and using that presets snapshot.  But you would still incur the lag time involved in switching the preset unless you were using spillover.

• Upvote 1

On 6/23/2022 at 1:07 PM, rd2rk said:

Hitting the "ambient" FS for a blues solo would be embarrassing at best!

I was interested in combing the various snapshots, only to find/develop some new sounds. Once I discovered what reverb sounds good with what delay, I would then just make a new preset/snapshot via command center with that combination. I guess I went about this wrong... oh well...I've gotten pretty good at programming Midi commands now...

On 6/23/2022 at 2:37 PM, DunedinDragon said:

The thing you have to get clear in your head about snapshots and presets

I have a few other midi questions I would appreciate your input on.

If I have pedal "A" and pedal "B" in series in that order in the midi loop, can I have pedal A assigned to channel 3 and pedal B on channel 2? Or do they have to be sequentially in the correct order?

Do the instant commands in command center have to be in the correct order? If I have a IC to load a pedal preset from bank 0, and I change the preset to a selection in bank 1, the pedal manual says to send a CC to select the other bank, does this IC have to be inserted before the IC for the preset in that bank? When changing back to a snapshot using bank 0 from there, do I have to insert a IC for bank 0 again in all the snapshots using presets in bank 0?

If I have a snapshot containing a CC to bypass a pedal, do I have to insert a CC for every other snapshot to engage the pedal, before I IC a preset for the pedal?

Thank you so much for your help, I'm having a few intermittent problems when going back and forth between snapshots. The answers to my questions will let me know if I've located the problem.

Mike

The Loops are audio. MIDI is entirely independent of audio.

If Pedal A is set to receive on Ch1 and Pedal B is set to receive on Ch2, Pedal A needs to be set to MIDI THRU (on the PEDAL) to get the messages on Ch2 thru to Pedal B. Helix MIDI Out is connected to Pedal A MIDI IN, Pedal A MIDI THRU is connected to Pedal B MIDI IN.

The Audio just goes Out the SEND, in to Pedal A INPUT, out Pedal A Output, in to Pedal B Input, out Pedal B Output to the RETURN.

If you use an IC to select a Bank and Preset on a Pedal, you can use a FS to select a different Bank/Preset on demand.

However, to get back to the original Pedal Preset you'd have to reload the Helix Preset OR have another SS whose IC1 is set to Bank/Program with everything OFF and IC2 set to the same Bank/Program settings as IC1 was set to in SS1:

SS1 - IC1 - Bank/Program set to Bank X Program X

SS2 IC1 set to Bank/Program OFF; IC2 set to Bank X Program X.

Confused yet?

See the attached example preset.

MIDI test.hlx

On 6/23/2022 at 10:09 PM, rd2rk said:

However, to get back to the original Pedal Preset you'd have to reload the Helix Preset

Originally, I created one preset for a specific venue, and had my Helix set to 8 SS's. I then went through each SS CC loading the different pedal presets, thinking I could just randomly select between SS's. After reading your response, I now realize that the easier way to approach this would be to change the SS's to presets, and change the FS layout.  I tend not to change my tone mid song so latency isn't a problem, I'll just create a specific preset for that situation if the need arises.

Do I have this correct now?

You're a lifesaver...thanks again.

On 6/24/2022 at 6:15 AM, ichasedx said:

Originally, I created one preset for a specific venue, and had my Helix set to 8 SS's. I then went through each SS CC loading the different pedal presets, thinking I could just randomly select between SS's. After reading your response, I now realize that the easier way to approach this would be to change the SS's to presets, and change the FS layout.  I tend not to change my tone mid song so latency isn't a problem, I'll just create a specific preset for that situation if the need arises.

Do I have this correct now?

You're a lifesaver...thanks again.

Helix provides for multiple ways to do most everything. Use the method that works best for you and your specific situations.