Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

POD HD500X to audio interface

Hi guys!
What is the best way to connect my PODHD500X to my audio interface(babyface RME pro fs) (without losing quality of the signal or without introducing latency)?
I'd like to use my POD to record both dry and wet signal into the DAW

Thanks in advance for the response :)

• 1 month later...
On 6/23/2022 at 4:32 PM, Wintermoon1919 said:

What is the best way to connect my PODHD500X to my audio interface(babyface RME pro fs) (without losing quality of the signal or without introducing latency)?

If your audio interface had been equipped with the S/PDIF digital input you could have connected the POD to it digitally, thus avoiding an additional AD conversion, but your AI is equipped with ADAT which despite being digital is not compatible with S/PDIF.
So the only option is to connect the POD to your AI via standard cables.

If you want to record the dry and wet signals at the same time you can create a patch where in path A (panned on the left) there are all the amp/FX models needed, and in path B (panned on the right) there is nothing. (The POD should be connected with both cables L and R)
By recording 2 tracks simultaneously in the DAW, one having the POD Left output as input, and the other having the POD Right output as input, you get the 2 tracks, wet and dry.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips

On 8/8/2022 at 6:57 PM, Wintermoon1919 said:

Thank you!!
But will I get sensible "sound degradation" or sound quality issues using standard cables?(because of the addition AD conversion)
I'm mainly concerned for the degradation of the DI signal goind through the POD vs going directly into the Babyface

In my opinion no, nothing particularly appreciable, the signal quality should still be pretty good.

As for the DRY signal, in the patch used it is advisable to set the impedance parameter to 1 or 3.5 megaohm to get maximum transparency.

A workaround for skipping the additional AD conversion is to use instead the POD as an audio interface, at least for recording guitar parts only.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips

On 8/11/2022 at 12:39 PM, Wintermoon1919 said:

Couldn't I just use something like a SPDIF coaxial to optical converter and split the signal (dry and wet) using the POD by creating a patch for this purpose?

Yes, you can do it, but only if there is a way to configure your AI ADAT to S/PDIF (as suggested above by spanishmartin).

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips