Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Dynamic splits

coachz

I setup a dynamic split in hx edit and was trying to alternate between a dry hard rock sound on Path A and a reverby thing on Path B.   I found the docs for hx edit are backwards for my stomp xl and I had to put reverse ON for the levels above threshold to hit path A and below threshold to hit path B.  I also found no matter how I set threshold, attack and decay I could not get it to work musically where I could be chopping power chords and the play slower passages and transition to the reverby path B.  I'm open to any ideas as this would be sweet to use.

Also is it possible to have more than 1 split on a stomp xl?  Thanks! 

I don’t have a Stomp XL to test with, but theoretically there are a couple of options. One is to use Snaspshots with different threshold, attack and/or delay values. Another would be to assign any or all of those parameters to a single expression pedal, and vary the Min/Max values of the parameters in an inverse manner, so that some increase while others decrease as you rock the pedal from heel to toe. Experimenting could give you a smooth transition as you adjust with your foot either slowly or quickly.

On 6/27/2022 at 10:24 AM, coachz said:

Are dynamics splits only good for more similar sounds and styles as opposed to going from a choppy dry distortion Rock pattern to a very smooth legato reverb sound where I'm seeing this problem?

Dynamic split's main advantage is to be able to turn yourself down for rhythm, and turn yourself up for lead without pressing anything on the Helix itself.  I don't have any use for it at the moment, but if I were on a wireless in some Cirque du Soleil show (lol), I could turn down my volume knob to 5 and have my rhythm sound; turn up the volume knob to 10 and have my lead sound.  So something like: dry medium crunch vs. delay + reverb + EQ + existing path. 

• Upvote 1

On 6/27/2022 at 10:49 AM, coachz said:

That makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the info

There is one song in my set that has a very sudden solo with a wah-wah that also rapidly ends.  So I assigned all my lead sound ingredients to the same EXP 2 that controls the wah-wah using %threshold value.   So I have wah, EQ, delay,  all engaged when EXP 2 is over 5%.  Then when it's less than 5% (pedal at heel position) all of those turn off 1/2 seconds after, and the delay a second later.  You can stagger how things get turned off for a more smooth transition.  So maybe that's something else you can try.