Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Why is L/Mono outputting Left, not Mono?

YammerUK

Some of my presets have not been behaving as expected at rehearsal. Then it occurred to me, that some of the presets, which I made at recording stage, are using stereo delay and/or reverb, and maybe I'm only hearing half of the story.

So, back home, I added a Stereo Width block to the end of all the presets in my setlist, set to 'Center'. This made everything mono, so it shouldn't matter that I'm only plugging the left channel into the mixer. (Let's call this a 'mono block' for brevity.)

But then I did a sanity check: I removed the mono block from a preset which had Ping Pong Delay, and unplugged the right output cable from my audio interface. The output was a mono sum of left and right. Auto mono output DOES work. Did I just waste my time?

Today it was rehearsal. I tried the same patch again (no mono block), using the L/Mono output, and I only got half the delay output. So, I had to add the mono block to all my presets after all.

At last, the question: what the hell is going on here? Why is the Helix only switching to mono on some connections and not others? I'm using an XLR Out to TRS In in both cases. Going into a Focusrite audio interface, mono works, and going into a Presonus mixer balanced line input, I only get the left channel.

Annoyingly, some of the snapshots in my presets are now either too loud (more echo), or too quiet (reverb phase cancellation?) using the Stereo Width block to convert to mono.

I could start to change some of the blocks to mono equivalents, but some don't have them. Is there a better way to go mono?  Any wisdom on this subject would be much appreciated.

• Sad 1

Break it down to it's simplest components.

I created a preset with nothing but an amp/cab and ping-pong delay set to 2 seconds.

XLR out to my Scarlett 18i20.

Channels in the Scarlett centered.

The pings and pongs alternate as would be expected. A ping or a pong every 2 seconds.

When I disconnect XLR/Right, I hear the delay every two seconds, from both speakers.

Stereo summed to mono as expected.

IOW - my results match yours.

I then switched the XLRs from my Scarlett to a Behringer mixer.

I got the same results.

I could not duplicate your problem regardless of gear type.

I'm attaching my preset for you to try.

Attach one of your "problem" presets (without any troubleshooting mods/blocks) and I'll have a look at it.

YammerUK.hlx

high-five!!  it's a bug.  It's a bug that always resurfaces on 2 of my Helixes.  It can be resolved temporarily by doing a system reset. 

What is the bug: left/right/left delay will sound like left .. left when you plug in your cable into the left/mono jack instead of combining it into mono as all normal pieces of gear do. 

At this point, after being gaslighted by the Line 6 support, I accepted it as something I need to live with.  Line 6 will never recreate it, as it develops over time.  What exactly causes it to resurface?  Some combination of global settings. 

What to do about it:

1. Power on the Helix

2. plug a cable into the "Right" jack

3. unplug the cable and plug into the "Left/Mono" jack

NOW your Left/Mono is actually "Mono". 

4. have a "sound check" preset with left/right delay to confirm you are good

I learned this the hard way when I was playing at a festival outdoors.  I had to play an equivalent of a Sweet Child O' Mine intro that had very prominent ping-pong delay.  Well, because of this bug, because my sound on stage was coming out of a big Marshall Stack, it made that legendary and recognizable intro sound like UTTER CRAP.  The Marshall's one-sided delay made the entire mix horrible.  I thought I would die. 

Now, I always put the sound check preset as my preset #0.  This way before I start the first song I can be assured that both left/right channels are fine in the house, and on stage. 

PS, you should create a ticket and mention this, after which they will offer you to send in your Helix because they will suggest it is a hardware issue. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/29/2022 at 9:19 PM, rd2rk said:

I'm attaching my preset for you to try.

Attach one of your "problem" presets (without any troubleshooting mods/blocks) and I'll have a look at it.

Thanks. I tried your preset and it behaved as expected on my home setup. Unfortunately, I'm not back in the rehearsal room until next week, so I can't try it on the mixer.

I have attached a preset which illustrates my problem. It has 3 snapshots for clean, distorted, and reverb-heavy sounds. I can't remember why the delay comes after the reverbs. Note that the initial Gain block is there for my Strat bridge pickup, and can be bypassed for a higher output. Also note the Stereo Width block at the end, which I recently added to overcome the left-only problem: it's there to show my attempted fix, and should be bypassed/deleted for testing.

When plugged in to the rehearsal mixer, I only heard every other echo, and when I use snapshot 3 ('Bridge') with the new Stereo Width block, it's now not loud enough.

My setlist has 12 presets, with 2 to 4 snapshots each. That's a lot of snapshots which are now potentially too loud or too quiet. Fortunately, I also use the mono Transistor Tape delay on more presets, but the stereo Dynamic Hall is on nearly all presets. I understand that there's a way to edit the preset (text) file to make stereo effects work in mono, but I don't know if this is a block's internal 'switch', or a way to swap to an equivalent mono effect, and only applies to effects with both mono and stereo versions.

On 6/29/2022 at 9:49 PM, theElevators said:

high-five!!  it's a bug.  It's a bug that always resurfaces on 2 of my Helixes.  It can be resolved temporarily by doing a system reset. 

You have more than 2 Helixes?!

1. Power on the Helix

2. plug a cable into the "Right" jack

3. unplug the cable and plug into the "Left/Mono" jack

NOW your Left/Mono is actually "Mono". 

4. have a "sound check" preset with left/right delay to confirm you are good

Thanks. I shall try this next session.

PS, you should create a ticket and mention this, after which they will offer you to send in your Helix because they will suggest it is a hardware issue. 

You're not selling this suggestion very well ;-)

Shaken.hlx

• Haha 1

Hey Guys!  Wow, this is so bizarre! I was at a church rehearsal last night for Worship band.  I was running my Helix Floor left mono out to the PA.  The guys in the audio room are really helpful and always give feedback.  Last night after rehearsal one tech asked if I had set up my presets in stereo?  He said he was only hearing what sounded to him like "half" of my effect for modulation and delay.  I told him I'd try to investigate the issue, but that I thought all stereo effects would/should be summed to mono.  This is a dumb question I'm sure, but you mention plugging cable in right output, then swapping over to left.  What would be the expected result if you used a 1/4" Y Male-Male from Left mono and Right outputs, and the female out to PA?  Would this help maintain the Mono-sum since you are plugged into back outputs simultaneously all the time?  Just a question -- not really sure how all this engineering stuff should pan out.  Thanks for the post and letting me know I'm not the only one with the issue!!  Later...

On 6/30/2022 at 8:02 AM, geetar42 said:

Hey Guys!  Wow, this is so bizarre! I was at a church rehearsal last night for Worship band.  I was running my Helix Floor left mono out to the PA.  The guys in the audio room are really helpful and always give feedback.  Last night after rehearsal one tech asked if I had set up my presets in stereo?  He said he was only hearing what sounded to him like "half" of my effect for modulation and delay.  I told him I'd try to investigate the issue, but that I thought all stereo effects would/should be summed to mono.  This is a dumb question I'm sure, but you mention plugging cable in right output, then swapping over to left.  What would be the expected result if you used a 1/4" Y Male-Male from Left mono and Right outputs, and the female out to PA?  Would this help maintain the Mono-sum since you are plugged into back outputs simultaneously all the time?  Just a question -- not really sure how all this engineering stuff should pan out.  Thanks for the post and letting me know I'm not the only one with the issue!!  Later...

It's a software glitch.  Do an experiment with prominent left/right/left/right delay with Left and Right cables plugged in.  Now unplug the right cable, power down the Helix with only Left cable plugged in, power it up -- if you hear only one half of your stuff then you have successfully recreated the bug. 

The software glitch is that it does not sum the signal to mono initially.  After plugging/unplugging, it does. 

On 6/30/2022 at 3:24 AM, YammerUK said:

You have more than 2 Helixes?!

Thanks. I shall try this next session.

I meant to say on both of my Helixes that I own.  I have a Floor and an LT and use them interchangeably, depending on the level of the gig. 

Here's a little video I just made, in case people are still confused by the bug/workaround:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/30/2022 at 7:02 AM, geetar42 said:

What would be the expected result if you used a 1/4" Y Male-Male from Left mono and Right outputs, and the female out to PA? 

That would solve your problem... and take away any "worry" about the situation. Although I wouldn't run a 1/4" to the PA... I'd run it into a direct box, then run that to the PA.

@theElevators... your solution is very simple, thanks for sharing that. My only concern would be if "sum to mono" breaks during a performance. Have you ever noticed if that happens... or does it always work as it should, once you get it working with your solution.  

On 6/30/2022 at 9:30 AM, codamedia said:

That would solve your problem... and take away any "worry" about the situation. Although I wouldn't run a 1/4" to the PA... I'd run it into a direct box, then run that to the PA.

@theElevators... your solution is very simple, thanks for sharing that. My only concern would be if "sum to mono" breaks during a performance. Have you ever noticed if that happens... or does it always work as it should, once you get it working with your solution.  

It will never break during a performance, unless somebody powers down your Helix, which is extremely unlikely. 

• Thanks 1

On 6/30/2022 at 3:24 AM, YammerUK said:

You're not selling this suggestion very well ;-)

Maybe if enough people open tickets describing this exact problem, show screenshots of the forum, Line 6 will acknowledge it.  I opened 3 tickets so far. 

On 6/30/2022 at 4:10 PM, YammerUK said:

What would anyone suggest is the easiest way to turn a stereo preset into a mono one?

Put a Mono Gain Block just before the final output - I just tried it, and it worked a treat, but I'm studio based and running my monitors on the Helix XLR outs.

Nothing to lose, give it a shot.  A gain block is no real load on the DSP.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

• Upvote 1

Well, you can certainly do that by simply putting a mono block at the very end, that will do it.  But the whole point of the Helix for me was to have stereo arena-ready sound.  Some people will argue that it's a waste of time and impractical, but I spent a lot of time having these subtle special effects in my sounds. 

On 6/30/2022 at 4:18 PM, theElevators said:

Well, you can certainly do that by simply putting a mono block at the very end, that will do it.  But the whole point of the Helix for me was to have stereo arena-ready sound.  Some people will argue that it's a waste of time and impractical, but I spent a lot of time having these subtle special effects in my sounds. 

Hi,

The Mono Gain block will collapse the signal to mono before output only when engaged. Bypass the block and the stereo is returned in all it's glory.

Seems subtle enough to me, but maybe I missed the point.

On 6/30/2022 at 11:32 AM, datacommando said:

Hi,

The Mono Gain block will collapse the signal to mono before output only when engaged. Bypass the block and the stereo is returned in all it's glory.

Seems subtle enough to me, but maybe I missed the point.

Gain, or volume pedal, or a cabinet, or mono delay will all do it.  Yep.  Or simply substitute all the Stereo block for their mono counterparts. 

• Like 1

On 6/30/2022 at 10:18 AM, theElevators said:

Some people will argue that it's a waste of time and impractical, but I spent a lot of time having these subtle special effects in my sounds. 

Admittedly, I am one of those people that stays MONO... all the time. I leave all stereo processing to the FOH/Studio engineer to manage that the way they want/need. 

However - I would NEVER argue that what you are doing is impractical. The Helix is capable, and you use it to the fullest. I commend you and others that take full advantage of that. 

Based on this "sum to mono" problem I am going to prepare a stereo track for testing... and will periodically check it in my studio. That is something that should just work - it would be interesting to narrow down a reason as to why it happens. 

• Like 1

On 7/1/2022 at 3:37 PM, codamedia said:

it would be interesting to narrow down a reason as to why it happens. 

If I had to hazard a guess, it might be down to load detection. The Helix would either detect input impedances on one or both outputs, or see an imbalance between them. Maybe high input impedances can't always be detected properly.

As a footnote to this:

We had a rehearsal yesterday, and I tested TheElevators' workaround. It is absolutely spot on.

Plugged into the Presonus StudioLive's balanced TRS input, using the Left/Mono XLR Out on my LT. Removed the mono block and, sure enough, only half the Ping Pong is audible. Mute the mixer, move the XLR to Right, and back to Left/Mono, unmute, and bingo, it's both channels. Power cycle the Helix, and the problem is back.

I'm not going to use the workaround - it's too much hassle, and I'm a great believer in Murphy's Law. So, I'm going to use mono sum blocks for now, though that's less than ideal and not very satisfying. I'd like to know how Line 6 actually sums the channels at the output. Is it a straightforward 50/50 sum, or maybe there is a more subtle method used to combat any potential phase/delay issues.

• Upvote 1

The Mono block is a fine work around but the Helix should work as advertised which is the left side is a summed mono signal  if it's the only one with something plugged into it. If it 's a software glitch, then fix it Line 6. I think of this as a main feature of the Helix.

I went and ordered a 1/4 inch mono TS Female to 2 x 1/4 inch Male Mono TS Y splitter cable on eBay and it works like a charm. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/152233551323

How about we all open tickets to explain we are experiencing this... If many of us do this, Line 6 can't keep ignoring it?  I just opened a new one.  Do we really need an Ideascale entry for this?  lol

Yes. I'll do that later. No doubt they will suggest a reset etc., and I guess I might learn which settings I've changed from defaults as a result.

By the way, I checked the gear specs. The mixer has 10kohm impedance, and the AI has 44kohm, which is not what I expected. I thought maybe the mixer impedance was too high to detect.

Though I did read a very technical article about balanced gear once, and I think that there are different designs for balanced inputs, and that might be what's fooling the Helix.

On 7/7/2022 at 11:49 AM, YammerUK said:

Yes. I'll do that later. No doubt they will suggest a reset etc., and I guess I might learn which settings I've changed from defaults as a result.

By the way, I checked the gear specs. The mixer has 10kohm impedance, and the AI has 44kohm, which is not what I expected. I thought maybe the mixer impedance was too high to detect.

With me, I don't change any settings at all... I just do a few back up/restores and I think that is what does it... Because at home I have 2 things plugged into left/right (my mixing monitors), I can never catch it.... ugh lol

Actually, I think I missed something in my original post:
when I was testing at home with my audio interface, the right channel was connected at power up, and I unplugged it before checking the L/Mono output.
Unusually, I powered it on just now with only the L/Mono connected, and I could only hear the left channel. So, it seems that it makes no difference what I'm connected to after all, the fault is the same. The only fix is to disconnect the right channel to activate mono.

I opened a ticket.

• Thanks 1

On 7/7/2022 at 10:32 AM, theElevators said:

How about we all open tickets to explain we are experiencing this... If many of us do this, Line 6 can't keep ignoring it? 

A support ticket is definitely the route to go.... 

As for L6 ignoring it... have they acknowledged that they can re-produce it yet? 

Unless a problem can be reproduced on demand, it's impossible to fix.

I've set up my Helix LT with a test preset one week ago today.... every time I start my Helix and try that preset, it works as expected. I am not experiencing this bug on my 4 year old LT - YET :)  There is either a very specific recipe that triggers this problem in software, or there is a hardware issue on some units. EG: a bad batch of sensors, or shorting jacks, or ??? 

On 7/8/2022 at 9:17 AM, codamedia said:

A support ticket is definitely the route to go.... 

As for L6 ignoring it... have they acknowledged that they can re-produce it yet? 

Unless a problem can be reproduced on demand, it's impossible to fix.

I've set up my Helix LT with a test preset one week ago today.... every time I start my Helix and try that preset, it works as expected. I am not experiencing this bug on my 4 year old LT - YET :)  There is either a very specific recipe that triggers this problem in software, or there is a hardware issue on some units. EG: a bad batch of sensors, or shorting jacks, or ??? 

The video I posted explains how it is a software bug, and not a hardware problem.  I repeat: it is NOT a hardware issue. 

Support people at Line 6 tell recreated the bug on 2.82 and then never again.  I find it very difficult to believe they don't have any bug tracking systems, like in the IT world DevTrack, Jira, I don't know.....  The best they can do is "we will try to fix it in the upcoming release, without giving you any tracking number whatsoever."  So sure enough 3.15 fixed it -- yay, for a week, until I backed up/restored my presets and it came back. 

On 7/8/2022 at 9:51 AM, theElevators said:

The video I posted explains how it is a software bug, and not a hardware problem.  I repeat: it is NOT a hardware issue. 

With all due respect... that video does not eliminate a hardware issue as a possible problem. After a reboot a sensor, relay or shorting jack could be sending false info to the Helix.... and your fix could be a JOLT to the system that is needs. I'm not saying it is hardware, I'm saying it hasn't been eliminated... don't assume anything at this stage. 

Of course, it could be a software bug.... maybe the perfect combination of global settings and connections to cause this. As I say, my Helix is not suffering from this (yet) so it can't be a wide spread bug ... it's specific. 

Can you share a "full backup" of your Helix? I'd like to import your GLOBAL SETTINGS into my Helix and see if that triggers this problem. If so - I can help try to narrow down the differences. I'm got many shows over the weekend so I won't load anything until Sunday... but I'd love to help you try to find the cause of this. 

On 7/8/2022 at 9:51 AM, theElevators said:

So sure enough 3.15 fixed it -- yay, for a week, until I backed up/restored my presets and it came back. 

As I say... it could be something very specific in the Globals which is why I would like to import those to see if the problems start to appear on my LT. 

• Upvote 3

On 7/8/2022 at 11:39 AM, codamedia said:

With all due respect... that video does not eliminate a hardware issue as a possible problem. After a reboot a sensor, relay or shorting jack could be sending false info to the Helix.... and your fix could be a JOLT to the system that is needs. I'm not saying it is hardware, I'm saying it hasn't been eliminated... don't assume anything at this stage. 

Of course, it could be a software bug.... maybe the perfect combination of global settings and connections to cause this. As I say, my Helix is not suffering from this (yet) so it can't be a wide spread bug ... it's specific. 

Can you share a "full backup" of your Helix? I'd like to import your GLOBAL SETTINGS into my Helix and see if that triggers this problem. If so - I can help try to narrow down the differences. I'm got many shows over the weekend so I won't load anything until Sunday... but I'd love to help you try to find the cause of this. 

As I say... it could be something very specific in the Globals which is why I would like to import those to see if the problems start to appear on my LT. 

Helix Floor Backup 2022-May-09.hxb

Here you go!  I mean the fact that the issue disappears after a reset, means it is a bug.  I have the "sound check" preset where you should be able to hear the issue... Let us know. 

• Thanks 1

On 7/8/2022 at 12:45 PM, theElevators said:

Helix Floor Backup 2022-May-09.hxb 181.36 kB · 1 download

Here you go!  I mean the fact that the issue disappears after a reset, means it is a bug.  I have the "sound check" preset where you should be able to hear the issue... Let us know. 

FYI.... I loaded up your "sound check" preset, and I've loaded your global settings.... nothing else. 

At this point the preset is behaving.... it sounds the same on initial boot (MONO) as it does when I run stereo. I also have my own "ping pong" preset and it is also behaving at this time. 

I'm not using the Helix for a few days so I'll leave it in this config and try it periodically to see if the problem surfaces. 

Out of curiosity.... on your machine(s) does this problem exist in the XLR OUTS, the 1/4" outs, or both? 

On 7/10/2022 at 1:46 PM, codamedia said:

FYI.... I loaded up your "sound check" preset, and I've loaded your global settings.... nothing else. 

At this point the preset is behaving.... it sounds the same on initial boot (MONO) as it does when I run stereo. I also have my own "ping pong" preset and it is also behaving at this time. 

I'm not using the Helix for a few days so I'll leave it in this config and try it periodically to see if the problem surfaces. 

Out of curiosity.... on your machine(s) does this problem exist in the XLR OUTS, the 1/4" outs, or both? 

I'm pretty sure that the issue will come to the surface after you create a backup with HX Edit and possibly restore from the backup.  My XLR Outs behave as expected: Left/Mono is always Mono by itself.  The issue is only with 1/4 inch outputs. 

Thanks. 

On 7/10/2022 at 6:46 PM, codamedia said:

FWIW, it happens on the XLRs for me. The 1/4 inch L/Mono seems fine.

That's got me thinking... IF this is a software problem, and it affects different outputs for different people. Maybe this is something to do with certain global settings. The first ones which spring to mind which I remember changing are: Global EQ affects XLR only, and Volume knob affects 1/4 inch only.

• Sad 1

On 7/11/2022 at 7:44 AM, YammerUK said:

That's got me thinking... IF this is a software problem, and it affects different outputs for different people. Maybe this is something to do with certain global settings. The first ones which spring to mind which I remember changing are: Global EQ affects XLR only, and Volume knob affects 1/4 inch only.

In my case, I do not change anything with Global Settings at all. Then a few weeks later the problem just develops by itself.  Yes, for sure it is due to some settings, but they remain unchanged for me.  The only thing that I do with the Helix is play it and back up/restore.  I don't tweak my settings at all. 

• Confused 1

On 7/10/2022 at 10:54 PM, theElevators said:

I'm pretty sure that the issue will come to the surface after you create a backup with HX Edit and possibly restore from the backup. 

This is something I do with my Helix all of the time.... I just did it again with your "global settings" and no, the problem has not appeared "yet".  I will keep trying over the course of the week. I will have to return to my global settings this weekend for some shows.... but I can restore that "full backup" I just did once again when I'm done to resume tests next week. 

On 7/10/2022 at 10:54 PM, theElevators said:

My XLR Outs behave as expected: Left/Mono is always Mono by itself.  The issue is only with 1/4 inch outputs. 

On 7/11/2022 at 6:44 AM, YammerUK said:

On 7/11/2022 at 7:04 AM, theElevators said:

Then a few weeks later the problem just develops by itself. 

Those last three comments show you should never rule out anything. The fact that both of you have the same problem, but on different output pairs suggests hardware. It doesn't prove hardware, it suggests it.  I'm still keeping the "bug" possibility wide open :) 

In my 40+ years in this business.... the most common culprit for gear failure I've come across are mis-behaving shorting jacks. That is what all signs are pointing to on this problem.... the LEFT SIDE doesn't know if the RIGHT SIDE is plugged in or not. After you give it a JOLT (plug in the right side then remove it) it works. That is exactly how you temporarily fix a shorting jack. 

Both... please try this very simple procedure to see if it helps. 

Get some quality contact cleaner and clean the RIGHT OUTPUT that is causing the grief. 

• For the Right XLR socket...make sure you clean the visible metal piece at the inside top of the XLR. That metal part is not included on the  LEFT XLR, and it's an educated guess that it likely plays a role in whether or not the Helix thinks it's in use or not.
  • For the RIGHT 1/4".... put some cleaner on a 1/4" plug and work it in and out of the right jack several times. Do not spray directly into the Helix through the jack.
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

On 7/11/2022 at 4:50 PM, codamedia said:

In my 40+ years in this business.... the most common culprit for gear failure I've come across are mis-behaving shorting jacks. That is what all signs are pointing to on this problem.... the LEFT SIDE doesn't know if the RIGHT SIDE is plugged in or not. After you give it a JOLT (plug in the right side then remove it) it works. That is exactly how you temporarily fix a shorting jack. 

Both... please try this very simple procedure to see if it helps. 

Get some quality contact cleaner and clean the RIGHT OUTPUT that is causing the grief. 

• For the Right XLR socket...make sure you clean the visible metal piece at the inside top of the XLR. That metal part is not included on the  LEFT XLR, and it's an educated guess that it likely plays a role in whether or not the Helix thinks it's in use or not.
  • For the RIGHT 1/4".... put some cleaner on a 1/4" plug and work it in and out of the right jack several times. Do not spray directly into the Helix through the jack.

I tried it just because I like to clean the in/out jacks.. Yep same exact thing.  Sorry... 

PS: I used DeoxIT

I work as a computer developer and constantly diagnose / fix things on a daily basis.  Many times with the Helix I was able to isolate and later on describe the exact bug to Line 6, given I know how to replicate it.  This is not a hardware issue, since it first appeared on my LT, then a brand-new Floor.  It makes no sense, but the bug will come up after some time. 

• Like 1

On 7/11/2022 at 4:12 PM, theElevators said:

I work as a computer developer and constantly diagnose / fix things on a daily basis.  Many times with the Helix I was able to isolate and later on describe the exact bug to Line 6, given I know how to replicate it.  This is not a hardware issue, since it first appeared on my LT, then a brand-new Floor.  It makes no sense, but the bug will come up after some time. 

We come from similar backgrounds.... 

I'll do what I can to help troubleshoot the problem.... but before I can begin, I will need the the problem to reveal itself on my machine. 

FYI Line 6 Support got back to me. Their recommended line of attack was to reinstall 3.15 using Updater 1.25 software, and do a factory reset.

Sure enough, the problem went away. And when I restored my full backup, it was still working as designed.

I appreciate that this may be temporary. I will be mindful of anything I do with my Helix if/when the problem reoccurs.

I shall have a look at the cleanliness of the rear connectors. I doubt that will be an issue, as I've been quite careful with it over the last 2 years, and it's always been in a relatively clean and dry environment.

• Thanks 1

FWIW... I had to restore my own backups for the weekend gigs and up to that point the problem had not appeared on my machine with a few dozen starts this week. 

@theElevators... I'll restore your entire backup next week and see if I can coax out the problem. This has really peaked my interest, it does seem like a very obscure bug.

On 7/7/2022 at 6:31 AM, brue58ski said:

If it 's a software glitch, then fix it Line 6.

Asking Line 6 to "just fix it" is not practical. Unless the bug can be repeated on demand the cause is unknown... therefore impossible to fix. Attempting to fix it without knowing the cause would be futile, since you can't measure the results of the change. 

• Upvote 1

On 7/14/2022 at 11:12 PM, YammerUK said:

FYI Line 6 Support got back to me. Their recommended line of attack was to reinstall 3.15 using Updater 1.25 software, and do a factory reset.

To me 3.15 is unusable due to the horrible bypass bug.  Yes, factory reset fixes it.  It will be back in a couple of weeks, not to worry! 

https://line6.com/data/u/0a020a3f15aa76169e540317ca/image/png/replicated.png

• 2 weeks later...