Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Is Helix Native performing okay w/M1 Macs yet?

boynigel

Contemplating purchasing Helix Native so I did an interweb search last night to see if it could be run in standalone (which i learned that it can't, which is a bummer).  Anyway, one of the links took me to a user review on Sweetwater's site who stated that it's nearly unusable on M1 computers...but, the review was from May of 2021. 

Can anyone speak from experience as to whether or not his '21 claim is still the case or not?  I'd like to think that the issue has been remedied by now

On 6/30/2022 at 1:59 PM, boynigel said:

Can anyone speak from experience as to whether or not his '21 claim is still the case or not?  I'd like to think that the issue has been remedied by now

Hi,

Simple solution - download the free demo and test it on your Mac.

Lots of happy users out there.

Also - When looking for clues Helix Native has its own forum, it might  be worth checking in there.

Regular contributor and Line 6 Beta Tester, "phil_m", has reported repeatedly that he has been using Native on Monterey for quite some time - no issues.

Oh, yeah - Regarding your comment: "to see if it could be run in standalone (which I learned that it can't, which is a bummer)"

Have you investigated this option?

https://www.digitalbrain-instruments.com/freebies

Hope this helps/makes sense.

Edited by datacommando
Changed link to direct free D/L
  • Upvote 1

On 6/30/2022 at 9:11 AM, karlic said:

All I can say is that it performs faultlessly in Pro Tools as an aax plugin. I am running a Mac Mini M1 with Monterey.

How much of a "CPU hog" is it?  That's the term many gave it in the various reviews i read.   I'm not overly concerned given that my machine is a brand new Mac Studio Max w/32 gigs of ram.  Just curious until i can test it firsthand.

On 6/30/2022 at 10:24 AM, datacommando said:

Hi,

Simple solution - download the free demo and test it on your Mac.

Lots of happy users out there.

Also - When looking for clues Helix Native has its own forum, it might  be worth checking in there.

Regular contributor and Line 6 Beta Tester, "phil_m", has reported repeatedly that he has been using Native on Monterey for quite some time - no issues.

Oh, yeah - Regarding your comment: "to see if it could be run in standalone (which I learned that it can't, which is a bummer)"

Have you investigated this option?

https://www.digitalbrain-instruments.com/freebies

Hope this helps/makes sense.

wasn't aware of digital brain.  will definitely check out when i get home from work.  thanks.

On 6/30/2022 at 4:35 PM, boynigel said:

How much of a "CPU hog" is it?  That's the term many gave it in the various reviews i read.   I'm not overly concerned given that my machine is a brand new Mac Studio Max w/32 gigs of ram.  Just curious until i can test it firsthand.

I have 5 instances for lead tracks on a mix I am working on now and I can't say it makes any impact with 16bg ram. As data commando said, the demo is freely available and M1 computers are the smoothest Apple experience I've had in 15 years of use.

• Like 1

On 6/30/2022 at 4:37 PM, boynigel said:

wasn't aware of digital brain.  will definitely check out when i get home from work.  thanks.

I was testing it out recently with the Arturia DX7 module in the synth slot an I had Helix Native in the FX slot mainly using, modulation, delays and reverbs - works great. I haven't had the chance to really push it, but it worked great for what I was doing at the tme.

• Like 1