Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Change globals?

coachz

Output level is not the same as output impedance. Impedance is a constant, level is a variable.

When you use the level parameters in the blocks that's what you're changing, the level.

When you use the INST/LINE settings in globals you're doing the same thing, only by a fixed amount to accommodate the input/output level requirements to maintain headroom in different types of devices.

To put it another way - while different impedances can affect the volume from a device, the reverse is not the case.

It's complicated electronics gobbledyg00k. Google it for a better explanation.

• Like 1

So are you saying that if I use line level and turn the volume down and run that output into my tube amp it will sound the same as if it's an instrument level?   That they both will have the same output impedance. 

Maybe if you say what exactly you're using (Helix? HXFX?) into what kind of amp (Pignose? Marshall Super Lead?), what you need to use the available outputs for and what exactly you're trying to accomplish, maybe I might be able to give some advice?

• Like 1

Place a SEND R Block at the end of the chain and set SEND/RETURN R to INST. Take the RING (R) signal to the Digimax 1/4" Input.

OR

Do the same thing but take the RING signal to a DI Box and take the XLR from that to the Digimax XLR.

OR

Buy a Helix. You know you want one...

• Like 1

Thanks but my sends are currently used.   I don't need them at the same time.  I just uplug the output to the guitar amp and plug it into my interface.  I was hoping to change the globals output state per preset using command center though.

If I use line level and turn the volume down and run that output into my tube amp it will sound the same as if it's an instrument level?   Does global output inst and line level both have the same output impedance? 

On 7/7/2022 at 4:59 AM, coachz said:

If I use line level and turn the volume down and run that output into my tube amp it will sound the same as if it's an instrument level?   Does global output inst and line level both have the same output impedance? 

Yes, if you manage to match it exactly.

Yes. Impedance is 1M. Always. The Guitar INPUT is the only place it can be adjusted.

Do us a favor?

In the future, when you ask for help, provide as many details as possible and, if we specifically ask you for more information, provide it.

That saves us all a LOT of time and effort coming up with solutions for you that won't work because you haven't provided the info we need.

Thanks!

The Input Impedance of most guitar amps and modern pedals (except fuzzes) is 1M.

Do not confuse IMPEDANCE which is measured in OHMS and LEVEL which is measured in decibels.

Apples and rocks.

On 7/7/2022 at 5:59 AM, coachz said:

If I use line level and turn the volume down and run that output into my tube amp it will sound the same as if it's an instrument level?   

Yes it will sound the same.... the difference in volume between LINE OUT and INSTRUMENT OUT is not as dramatic as I thought it would be. I just ran a quick test with my LT and INSTRUMENT OUT is about 8db - 10db lower than LINE. If you want to set the output levels per preset, just leave the output set to LINE and lower the output level to somewhere between -8db and -10db for the presets you need at "instrument level". 

On 7/7/2022 at 5:59 AM, coachz said:

Does global output inst and line level both have the same output impedance? 

I just put a DMM on the output of my LT... it read just over 10K whether it was set to instrument or line. 

I would assume the STOMP or STOMP XL is the same, but I don't know for certain. 

• Upvote 1