Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Pod Go vs HX Stomp XL as simple Pedalboard?

Sitiben

Hello Line 6 forum users!

I am thinking of returning the HX Effects I bought a couple weeks back and replacing it either with a Pod Go or Stomp XL.

i am basically trying to have a simple set up with an effects unit into a Tone Master Deluxe Reverb.  All I want is to be able to have a preset per songs I play and a couple basic other tones when I go off repertoire. I play rock (Beatles, Stones, Queen, Led Zeppelin , AC/DC, Oasis, Coldplay+ Chili Peppers) + reggae + grunge (Nirvana, Offspring)

The HX FX seemed ideal but it turns out there aren’t many presets out there to download « per song » and I don’t have the skills to really dial in a tone per song.

So I’m thinking of going to PodGo or HX Stomp which have a much deeper community and vendors online.

i love the organic feel of the Tone Master and would ideally use the PG or Stomp as pedalboards with amp simulation off. I don’t need complex routing or effects, just good song based patches that I can tweak a bit to sound good with my amp. I have a wah pedal already (so neutral on that between PG and Stomp) and may buy a pedal to get more Marshall like tones as part of the setup.

what would you say is the way to go or the pros/cons of the two units given my goal?

Thank you!

Ben 

On 7/7/2022 at 10:14 AM, Sitiben said:

i love the organic feel of the Tone Master and would ideally use the PG or Stomp as pedalboards with amp simulation off. …

The above statement suggests you will not benefit from either the POD Go or the Stomp. Your HX Effects already has everything you would plan to use in either of the others. 

I think you would be better off developing some skills in building tone with your HX Effects. Yes, you might find more song-based offerings in Customtone but I think you will find their value diminishes once you turn off the amp/cab/IR in the downloaded presets.

One suggestion: download song-based Helix presets and use this online preset viewer to inspect the FX and their settings:

https://hxview.netlify.app

Hi Silverhead,

Would you mind telling me more about how I can download Helix presets on the FX?  I've tried and failed - getting a message along the lines of "not compatible".  What do I need to look for or change (if I can) before trying to load?

Than you, Silverhead,
Ben

You can’t download Helix presets onto your HX FX. The link I gave you is a website that allows you to upload any Helix preset and view/inspect it. That allows you to see all FX blocks that are used in the Helix preset as well as their parameter settings. Then you manually add those FX blocks and parameter values in your HX FX preset. That way you can produce the exact same sound of the Helix FX block in your HX FX device.